Author Topic: Olympic Road Races - Richmond Park - Anyone going ?  (Read 2253 times)

Olympic Road Races - Richmond Park - Anyone going ?
« on: 24 July, 2012, 11:19:16 am »
Is anyone heading in to Richmond Park this weekend to watch the road races go through ?
Rust never sleeps

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Olympic Road Races - Richmond Park - Anyone going ?
« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2012, 01:33:08 pm »
Hopefully the family will be picnicking there whereas I am on Sector 4a (Putney Bridge to Roehampton gate) somewhere as a crossing marshal.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2012, 06:49:33 am »
Our plan is to head up in morning (we are only in Chiswick, so not far away) and watch them head out before heading back home for barbecuing and watching the rest on telly
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2012, 08:09:51 am »
Unfortunately not. We timed our move out of London either very badly or very well depending on your perspective and what was on my doorstep is now 60 miles away.

« Reply #4 on: 25 July, 2012, 09:13:07 am »
We’re in the fairly lucky position of being able to go to Rob’s grandparents in Ripley, watch it on telly, nip out into their front garden to watch them zoom right past, and go back inside to watch the rest of telly…

« Reply #5 on: 25 July, 2012, 09:31:16 am »
We're camping over the weekend in the southern loop so will try to watch it as it passes through Ripley and then ride over to Box Hill to watch it somewhere on the circuit.

R&R

'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #7 on: 26 July, 2012, 09:30:05 am »
Thanks Goldie - we are planning avoid the hill and watch from somewhere else on the circuit.  I do think that 'they' could have provided a map rather than a list of road closures though.

R

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #8 on: 26 July, 2012, 10:54:01 am »
Russell and others- you might find this handy

http://www.gosurrey.info/olympic-road-cycling/road-closures/rights-of-way-road-closures/

Thanks for this.  I have a spot north of Headley Heath earmarked - aim to be there at 7am to get ahead of the crowds and will bring bread cheese wine and a good book to settle in for when the race arrives 5 hours later.  If the roads are closed to cycles  :o then will use bridleway access to get where I want to go - so this is really helpful to know that these will be available  ;D
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)