Author Topic: Expensive Waterproof Jackets - Worth it?  (Read 6655 times)

Expensive Waterproof Jackets - Worth it?
« on: 14 October, 2020, 10:08:10 am »
Morning

This has probably been done to death but after real world experience. I'm looking at buying a waterproof where I am not going to 'boil in the bag'. Looking at various options and some of the prices are eye watering.

What I'm after is :

1. Are they worth paying for??

2. Recommendations!

Cheers

Chris

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Expensive Waterprrof Jackets - Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2020, 10:21:02 am »
Morning

This has probably been done to death but after real world experience. I'm looking at buying a waterproof where I am not going to 'boil in the bag'. Looking at various options and some of the prices are eye watering.

What I'm after is :

2. Recommendations!

i give this a massive "DEPENDS!"

I have had a selection of waterproof jackets over the years, but none have been as good as my Paramo Quito.

It's too warm for use in summer, but for Autumn, Spring, and Winter, it's the best I've ever had. I got it I think in 2012. I've had the main zip replaced once already, and it's currently in to have the pit zips and the main zip replaced, as well as a couple of areas where I'm wearing through the fabric. This is costing me about £120 for the repairs, but a new jacket is €350. And I really do need the jacket. Also I'd rather keep one going, than buy a new one, what with the environment and all that.

The pit zips mean you can vent things to get the temp just right, I've never found anything that can breathe as well as Paramo. And it's very comfortable to wear. Can you tell I'm a fan? But because of the different approach (so called analogy fabric), there are no taped seams, so you can just undo the stitching, and do repairs. Which dramatically prolongs the life of the jacket. Something you can't really do with taped seam membrane jackets.

I am looking for a membrane type jacket to use when racing in the summer, but I am really struggling to find a cycling specific membrane based jacket that has a hood and pit zips. Not sure why.

A good waterproof jacket is worth it, cheap ones are just another proof of Sam Vimes Theory...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2020, 10:24:01 am »
What sort of riding do you want to do? I don't think any jacket is suitable for sustained hard efforts and gentle pootles (or 4 season usage), so use cases are vital to recommendations.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 14 October, 2020, 10:28:05 am »
What sort of riding do you want to do? I don't think any jacket is suitable for sustained hard efforts and gentle pootles (or 4 season usage), so use cases are vital to recommendations.

Disagree. I use my Quito jacket (see love letter above). For training, including HIIT in the rain, as well as Audaxes (when you're doing them in over 13 hours, that counts as a gentle pootle), as well as temps down to -7°C.

J
--

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4 on: 14 October, 2020, 10:47:28 am »
Morning

What I'm after is :

2. Recommendations!

Cheers

Chris

Yes - Gore shakedry 1985.

There's a lot of new versions and also other companies using the material available now but it really is the best jacket I have ever owned based on packed size, weight and performance. The only thing I would change is having a longer back section, but that may be available in other styles now. 

IMHO, Other options are available but perhaps not meeting those 3 areas.

If only I'd remembered to take it with my on that french ride!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5 on: 14 October, 2020, 10:53:34 am »
I have both a Quito jacket and Velez smock from Paramo. Both are excellent, but don't pack down particularly small. If that's a priority then something Goretex would be more appropriate, if less breathable.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6 on: 14 October, 2020, 11:00:56 am »

I will mostly be using it for commuting 45km each day and the occasional audax. I'll only be putting it on when it rains and will be for autumn to spring. I generally just get wet in the summer without a jacket or have a very thin cheap Aldi job.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 14 October, 2020, 11:02:35 am »

I will mostly be using it for commuting 45km each day and the occasional audax. I'll only be putting it on when it rains and will be for autumn to spring. I generally just get wet in the summer without a jacket or have a very thin cheap Aldi job.

Quito is the jacket for you then. That's the ideal use case.

J
--

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8 on: 14 October, 2020, 11:11:55 am »
https://showerspass.co.uk/products/mens-elite-2-1-jacket

£199 plus 10% discount on signing up to e-mails. I bought one, only used it 4 times so far, but super jacket, lots of vents, and zippered vents. 4.9 star rating, check out the reviews........
https://www.sevendaycyclist.com/showers-pass-elite-2-1-jacket.

I'm not one for spending money on kit really, so ummed and ahhed a lot, but its an investment, as I see it. If its torrential, then I'll wear my 1970's oilskin cape, a truly wonderful thing. Its like cycling in a tent, not in a bad way. You know, your in a small tent, its hammering down, you peep out of the door, and  think,  mmmmmm, I nice and snug in here! that's a cape.

Oh, and the good thing about this jacket, is you can buy 2, (if between sizes?) and send one back, in the prepaid returns envelope.

« Reply #9 on: 14 October, 2020, 11:26:44 am »
if you find one you like, it's always going to be worth it, they can make an unpleasant ride a joy, what value is that?  Of course, the opposite is also true, get one you don't like and it is a lot of money to waste.
I have a Showers Pass Elite, suits me in most conditions, would prefer if it was a bit more packable, but otherwise great.  It's the best venting waterproof I've had, though that isn't a huge sample.
I also have a non cycling specific Parmo, easy to wear all day as long as it's not too warm. It's my cool weather jacket whether it's likely to rain or not. Keeping it waterproof is a bit of a chore, at least if you're as lazy as me, I've usually had a couple of soakings before I get round to it. 
Both were £150+, previous experience is that I get over ten years use from a decent waterproof, so in that context the cost is minimal.

« Reply #10 on: 14 October, 2020, 01:30:52 pm »
I've got a relatively inexpensive Altura that I've had for years. I wouldn't say it keeps me dry or avoids boil-in-the-bag but, in very wet conditions, it's the most comfortable I've had. I wore it in the downpour on Saturday, ten days ago, and was fine.

But I delay putting on waterproofs as much as I can when it's just slight rain.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 14 October, 2020, 01:51:13 pm »
Gore Shakedry is the only waterproof that hasn't infuriated me. Despite the lack of pit zips or shoulder blade vents, it is really, really hard to boil in the bag even a little. Stupidly expensive, looks delicate but folds up really small.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #12 on: 14 October, 2020, 01:59:10 pm »
Gore ShakeDry has been the best so far and is my current jacket. I'm even willing to forgive its lack of hi-viz colour.

re: Showers Pass, I had one years and years back and while the back was properly long, the front was very very short, even for a cycling specific jacket; felt like it barely covered my belly button...

« Reply #13 on: 14 October, 2020, 02:31:18 pm »
Mr Smith has a Gore ShakeDry and it repels water so effectively I have to wear a waterproof to protect me on the tandem.

I have a Paramo which is great if you don't intend to take it off part way through your ride.
Generally, I put up with getting a bit wet but for commuting, the Paramo is a winner.

« Reply #14 on: 14 October, 2020, 02:40:07 pm »

You should have said.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #15 on: 14 October, 2020, 03:19:14 pm »

Rainwear has changed in recent years from hard shell gore type to hard shell with dwr coating (but not necessarily waterproof) and softshell with dwr coating.

I have all 3. On an audax with likely deluge I'd probably take the gore, because the other types will eventually give up trying to keep the water out. The hard shell dwr is lightweight packable and cheaper than gore. The softshell stuff is great October to april wear. It will keep out all but the most persistent rain and is breathable and comfortable.  Endura do a Pro SL softshell jacket which is waterproof and breathable.

The upshot is that these days you can keep the wet out and stay comfy

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #16 on: 14 October, 2020, 03:31:52 pm »

You should have said.
I don't think I've mentioned it much at all.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #17 on: 14 October, 2020, 04:03:47 pm »
Another vote for Shower pass elite . I went up a size  . My thinking was I would need an extra layer of clothes in the winter (like my old jacket) but I don't need to .  The shower pass is toasty warm with armpit vent up but never boil in the bag . Really waterproof . It's one of the best bits of cycling kit I have ever bought .
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #18 on: 14 October, 2020, 09:23:19 pm »
Yes - Gore shakedry 1985.

There's a lot of new versions and also other companies using the material available now but it really is the best jacket I have ever owned based on packed size, weight and performance. The only thing I would change is having a longer back section, but that may be available in other styles now.
Example of Gore shakedry with long back, as recommended by me:
https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/und6299/under-armour-accelerate-gore~tex-long-jacket/
(£280 reduced to £140, discontinued pricing, but still available in all sizes except XXL)

It's got more features (2 pockets, roll away hood), so it doesn't do as well as the 1985 in the rolled up size stakes, but it will still go in a jersey pocket. Sizes are regular, rather than Italian.

My experience is that DWR only lasts so long. Even with a new jacket, a couple of hours of proper rain will wet it out, and as the jacket gets older and dirtier, it happens quicker. Washing resolves the dirt, but you can't do anything about age.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #19 on: 14 October, 2020, 09:36:35 pm »
If you're me, you will always boil in the bag.  Gore-Tex may be ok for rambling but it can't cope with rapid sweating.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20 on: 14 October, 2020, 10:00:33 pm »
All my previous rain jackets, Goretex or otherwise, were boil in the bag for Sweaty Betty me and I expected the Shakedry to be the same but I have to be working at a very high output (for me) for ages to start feeling damp.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21 on: 15 October, 2020, 03:24:04 pm »
My recommendation is a Gore Bike Wear Packlite jacket specifically made for cycling. It has a long back, rear pocket and is very breathable. I have a Quito which is classed as a multi-activity coat, whilst it is an excellent winter walking jacket I do not regard it as a cycling jacket. When I have worn it on the bike it has felt bulky, very hot, the hood is a pain on the bike and sweating was a real issue even with the vents open. If you are going to spend on a top winter waterproof you would be much better with the Gore Bike Wear.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #22 on: 15 October, 2020, 05:07:11 pm »
Another vote for Gore.  My best rain jacket is a Gore Bike Wear Oxygen 2.0 Gore-Tex Active Shell Jacket
https://road.cc/content/review/142767-gore-bike-wear-oxygen-20-gore-tex-active-jacket

I bought it three and a half years ago so I'm not certain what it corresponds to in their current range.  Probably this: https://www.gorewear.com/eu/fi-en/c5-gore-tex-active-jacket-100193.html?dwvar_100193_color=3599

Whichever, it has been great.  Kept me dry in all sorts of downpours, all over the world.  Fits well.  Only issue is that the sleeves are a touch long for me (often a problem I have) and I would like the front to be very slightly longer.  I generally have to take things out of my jersey pockets to put it on (which is ok, as the things go in the bag space vacated by the jacket!)

I bought it after I had been let down by another waterproof and thought at the time that they were expensive, but well worth it.

The only reason I would get another is for something that packs small, as this doesn't.  The Gore Shakedry mentioned above is interesting from that point of view (I almost bought one on the basis of the recommendations above but I really don't need two great but expensive waterproof jakets!)

« Reply #23 on: 15 October, 2020, 05:55:25 pm »
I run hot and am firmly in the softshell with high wicking linings camp.  Mostly I wear Rab vapourise or equivalent , some from manufactures no longer with us. Generally these have an outer pertex shell with a high wicking micro fleece liner. The pertex stops the wind rain, and the lining transports actual water to the outside.  Vapour gets out no problem as there is no laminate to get past. So not waterproof but water sits in the jacket / gets pushed to outside. Inner layers remaining dry against the skin. It’s not cycle specific but mountaineering gear designed for high energy pursuits in poor weather conditions. My gear is around 16-17 years old depending on which top I wear.

Paramo isn’t a million miles from the concept of these designs but much heavier and warmer.

« Reply #24 on: 18 October, 2020, 08:22:14 am »
I have a cheap club boil in the bag which i use for my 20km commute if it rains and just slow down a bit to my aerobic level.

My second getting old one is a cast elli eVent jacket which is superb, packs light and keeps me dry on long rides where rain was not expected.  It sits in my my audax saddlebag

My new eyewateringly expensive one is the new shake dry from Rapha last winter.  I got the one with the internal fleecy lining and for cold winter riding it is brilliant.  The hood alone is worth it for keeping dry.