Author Topic: new chainset  (Read 13998 times)

Re: new chainset
« Reply #75 on: 13 April, 2018, 12:54:08 pm »

The hill I was testing the low gears on (Shotover hill) is a pretty brutal climb, not quite sure of the % steepness, but more than I see in most of my touring situations.

This one? . Max 12.5% ish so yeah a bit steeper than most continental roads. AIUI you can thank Napoleon for that.

Not as bad as Kop Hill, near Princes Risborough, mind - even with my old 22T/32T gearing, I struggled up that somewhat (semi-loaded), but that has a max grade of 23.3% !

https://veloviewer.com/segment/869135/Kop+Hill
I've been up there, years ago on my old hybrid! Ob: gearing; I think it was either 22/28 or 24/28. I was unladen mind, which makes it an awful lot easier! (I'd left the tent and stuff at Watlington!)

I've been up it many years ago when I was working in Abingdon, unladen on 34 x 25, I wouldn't get it up now on that but I had just moved from Snowdonia, which helped.

I don't know how you managed to even get the pedals to move on that hill on 34x25!
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #76 on: 13 April, 2018, 01:04:29 pm »
Thanks, yes sounds like Marchisio might be the better better bet due to the ramps (is it obvious how to line these up correctly?), but I will probably need a 30 sprocket and definitely a 32, or possibly even 34 - for these, can I just use sprockets taken from Shimano or BBB cassettes?
There is no way to line up ramps because the sprockets fit in one way only on your freehub.  Do the ramps help?  I don't know, but if they do it must be in "marginal gains" to quote Sky.  As I said I am not an aficionado of Shimano stuff.  I've used sprockets without ramps for 50 years now, and even with indexing I cope just fine.  My Campag and Marchiso equipped 10 speed changes gear perfectly - no ramps or low profile teeth to wear prematurely.

Okay, that's good to know! The Miche sprockets might be easier to source, though, given that Marchiso is only going to be available as NOS stock now, as the company went into liquidation. Could you mix and match Miche and Marchiso, or would that be a bad idea? Also - am still not sure if I would still be able to use 30/32/34 sprockets from Shimano or BBB with Miche or Marchiso sprockets - if not, then there's no point in me going down the custom route.

I think I only have spare lockrings for 11T first sprockets, I'd understood the lockring for 12T first sprockets and up is different. Would I have to buy a 12-xx cassette just to get a 12T first-compatible lockring?
It seems to me that an 11T lockring must be a smaller outside diameter, that is all, so I see no reason for it not working.

Okay, well I guess there's only one way to find out for sure...

I'm of a generation and mindset that is used to mixing and matching parts (never bought a "groupset" for example) so am happy to experiment and see what works and what doesn't.

My Hewitt Cheviot SE tourer is a mix of parts from different manufacturers (mostly Shimano and Hope now for the key components, though a mix of "road" and "MTB" stuff) and various components I've changed for different ones over the years, so it's certainly not made up of any recognisable "groupset".

With the custom cassette sprockets, it's not that I don't want to experiment, it's just that up to now I haven't known how to with these, so it's all new to me.

« Reply #77 on: 13 April, 2018, 01:14:45 pm »
Could you mix and match Miche and Marchiso, or would that be a bad idea? Also - am still not sure if I would still be able to use 30/32/34 sprockets from Shimano or BBB with Miche or Marchiso sprockets -
Mix Miche and Marchisio - I've done that.  I have said that I found 10 speed Miche to be rather soft, so once I'd worn them out I replaced the middle (most used) with Marchisio.  I don't think I've any Miche still in use.  In your case you are looking at changing the last sprocket so I cannot see any problem at all.  Different manufacturers sprockets are different thicknesses, but changing the last obviously makes no difference to shifting.  In my case, changing centre sprockets had the possibility of a slight accumulative difference, but in fact there was none.

The reason I use custom is because all of the standard cassettes seem to miss what is to me a much used gear in the middle.  Also I've no use for 11T or a 12, one custom cassette I built had a small sprocket of 15 (I used a 12 lock ring with that, logically nobody makes a specific lock ring for 15).  I want gearing that suits me, not what somebody sitting in a remote factory thinks is suitable.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #78 on: 15 April, 2018, 04:50:28 pm »
slightly ot, but on the stronglight impact chainset with 4 visible spider arms, the  chainring has an insert for the hidden spider, does this just push/tap out?
WP_20180415_14_06_53_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

Ahha! out she pops! :thumbsup:

WP_20180415_14_05_26_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

OOooo  !   Thexthy, Thtronglight chainthet!................ :-*........Fortythix, Thirtythix, Twentyfour

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #79 on: 15 April, 2018, 05:12:19 pm »
if the granny ring was oriented as intended it would be even thexthier! :P

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #80 on: 15 April, 2018, 05:44:10 pm »
if the granny ring was oriented as intended it would be even thexthier! :P

If you are referring to the fact it appears to be on, 'back to front' you'd be ......W R O N G.  it is in fact a Shimano 24t, a replacement for the thtronglight twentythix. Hence it looks different.  OR if you are referring to the fact the numbers aren't all in a neat little row.......you need to get out more. :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #81 on: 15 April, 2018, 06:43:05 pm »
i don't mind the fact that it's from a different make; it's the standard of workmanship i'm referring to

(i was out most of the weekend ;) )

« Reply #82 on: 15 April, 2018, 08:14:14 pm »
Not as bad as Kop Hill, near Princes Risborough, mind - even with my old 22T/32T gearing, I struggled up that somewhat (semi-loaded), but that has a max grade of 23.3% !
Not as bad as our local test piece, Bushcombe Lane. That has a max grade of 60.4% !!!!
https://veloviewer.com/segment/745156

You're better off looking at the RH bar under gradient distances

« Reply #83 on: 15 April, 2018, 08:42:12 pm »
Not as bad as our local test piece, Bushcombe Lane. That has a max grade of 60.4% !!!!
https://veloviewer.com/segment/745156

You're better off looking at the RH bar under gradient distances

Ouch!

« Reply #84 on: 15 April, 2018, 08:44:34 pm »

WP_20180415_14_05_26_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

OOooo  !   Thexthy, Thtronglight chainthet!................ :-*........Fortythix, Thirtythix, Twentyfour

Here's my new TA Chinook chainset, mounted to my old Shimano SLX cranks:

The lettering is lined-up, but with hindsight, perhaps the arrows should be hidden under the crank arm, rather than "Made in France", ah well...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #85 on: 15 April, 2018, 09:01:50 pm »
looks good, I guess I must be guilty of N G A F.

« Reply #86 on: 15 April, 2018, 09:07:38 pm »
looks good, I guess I must be guilty of N G A F.

:-)

« Reply #87 on: 15 April, 2018, 09:09:07 pm »
i don't mind the fact that it's from a different make; it's the standard of workmanship i'm referring to

The little inwards pointing nubbin at the top is meant to be behind the crank, right?

(though I'd guess whatever marginal improvement to shifting this might make only applies if you aren't mixing brands)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #88 on: 15 April, 2018, 09:22:53 pm »
TBPH I didn't even notice it , until it was pointed out in such a subtle way..  Hey ho. works fine tho. I always rotate the rings when I change the chain any way. Didn't notice the numbers were misaligned either.  :facepalm:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #89 on: 15 April, 2018, 09:26:06 pm »

The little inwards pointing nubbin at the top is meant to be behind the crank, right?

(though I'd guess whatever marginal improvement to shifting this might make only applies if you aren't mixing brands)

i agree, but as with many things on a bike, it's nicer when things are done properly (e.g. skewer clamps on the left, tyres in the right direction, brake calipers centered, mudguard stays trimmed - and many others). i also accept that everyone is free to do whatever they want :thumbsup:

« Reply #90 on: 15 April, 2018, 10:49:32 pm »

Is the nubbin in question intended to keep an over-shifted "skinny" chain from lodging between the last chain ring and the crank arm?  If yes, that could be a significant improvement on the shifting experience

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #91 on: 16 April, 2018, 12:15:17 pm »
No, it's because there is a 'hidden' fixing behind the crank which means fitting the bolt from the 'wrong' side. The knurling on the 'nut' stops it from spinning when the bolt is tightened.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #92 on: 16 April, 2018, 01:43:43 pm »
Is the nubbin in question intended to keep an over-shifted "skinny" chain from lodging between the last chain ring and the crank arm?  If yes, that could be a significant improvement on the shifting experience
No, it's because there is a 'hidden' fixing behind the crank which means fitting the bolt from the 'wrong' side. The knurling on the 'nut' stops it from spinning when the bolt is tightened.
I think the small lump on the inner edge of the granny ring (at, approximately, 11 o'clock)  is just to orientate the ring. I'm not sure that it offers any mechanical advantage.

There's a drilling on the big ring which will be threaded to accept a peg to do what Moleman describes. Sometimes there's a second one behind the crank arm, to ensure that there is one in the right place whether your spider hides the 5th arm or not.

I think Tors is talking about the different crank bolt, which I think was being discussed a few posts back.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #93 on: 16 April, 2018, 06:02:55 pm »
A feature of most Stronglight outer rings is the peg can be fitted in two different places on the ring which covers both orientations.

Back up there ^^^ somewhere is a pic of the special chainring nut
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #94 on: 16 April, 2018, 06:09:57 pm »
Yes behind the crank arm, there is a little hexagonal 'nubbin' to stop the chain wedging down twixt ring and crank in the event of an overshift.  It was in the threaded hole at 1 o'clock, but I moved it back, as the rings came off a stronglight '4 visible arm' impact  chainset, and thus t'as in the wrong place.