Author Topic: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub  (Read 134743 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub
« Reply #525 on: 23 April, 2010, 12:00:40 pm »
Super, I'll meet you at the station.
What time do you expect to get to YE? I might be able to meet at the station too!

It will take less than an hour to get there. The National Cycle Network goes right past it so there are signs to follow - see Sustrans has it's uses!

Interestingly, the faulkbourne road route is more than a mile shorter than e.g. this alternative, despite it looking like it should be longer owing to going up through Black Notley and Row green.  Strange - must be all the left/right bendy bits in the latter route.

I assume neither of those is your intended route - I imagine you are planning to go up Peg Millar's Lane (euphemism?) where Google Maps fears to tread ;) then on to Fairstead Rd, and Linderswood Lane?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #526 on: 23 April, 2010, 12:03:39 pm »
Wow and I expect to get there before 6pm so will hang around aimlessly waiting for you lot.

I could go straight from work and beat all of you there (I work in Braintree). Or I could go home first for a change of bike and attire - not that it really matters, but sometimes you know, it's nice to make an effort.  ;)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #527 on: 23 April, 2010, 12:08:08 pm »
Yes, Peg Millar's, past Humphreys slaughterhouse then right at the T junction.  This OK?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #528 on: 23 April, 2010, 12:15:08 pm »
Yes, Peg Millar's, past Humphreys slaughterhouse then right at the T junction.  This OK?

Works for me!  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #529 on: 23 April, 2010, 12:17:20 pm »
...and attire...

I find two work best.  Except on unicycles where one is sufficient.

IGMC

Oscar's dad

« Reply #530 on: 23 April, 2010, 12:27:14 pm »

Works for me!  :thumbsup:

If we didn't have people waiting for us at The Green Dragon we could have popped into the Square and Compasses for a little rest.

« Reply #531 on: 23 April, 2010, 12:28:46 pm »
If we didn't have people waiting for us at The Green Dragon we could have popped into the Square and Compasses for a little rest.
My route takes me past that pub.  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #532 on: 23 April, 2010, 12:44:54 pm »
My route takes me past that pub.  ::-)

Are you likely to be tired by the time you get there?

And, I have just looked up St George on the interweb.  Wikipedia says ...

Saint George (ca. 275/281 – 23 April 303) was, according to tradition, a Roman soldier and priest in the Guard of Diocletian, who is venerated as a Christian martyr. In hagiography Saint George is one of the most venerated saints in the Roman Catholic Church, Anglican Church, Eastern Orthodox Church, Oriental Orthodox Church, and the Eastern Catholic Churches. He is immortalized in the tale of Saint George and the Dragon and is one of the Fourteen Holy Helpers. His memorial is celebrated on 23 April, and he is regarded as one of the most prominent military saints.

Saint George is the patron saint of Aragon, Catalonia, England, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Fakiha, Bteghrine, Cáceres (Spain), Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, Gozo, Milan, Pomorie, Preston, Salford, Qormi, Rio de Janeiro, Lod, Barcelona and Moscow, as well as a wide range of professions, organizations, and disease sufferers.

One hopes that commemorative pub rides are also taking place in Aragon, Catalonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Fakiha, Bteghrine, Cáceres (Spain), Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, Gozo, Milan, Pomorie, Preston, Salford, Qormi, Rio de Janeiro, Lod, Barcelona and Moscow.

« Reply #533 on: 23 April, 2010, 12:49:30 pm »
Very tired, faint even, I may have to sit down!  (especially if there are other bikes outside)  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #534 on: 23 April, 2010, 12:55:17 pm »
Very tired, faint even, I may have to sit down!  (especially if there are other bikes outside)  ::-)

OK, we will swing by to check. 

Shame today isn't next Friday as I would have done my first aid course by then.  If you needed medical assistance I would be qualified to make you better  :thumbsup:

« Reply #535 on: 23 April, 2010, 12:58:25 pm »
Shame today isn't next Friday as I would have done my first aid course by then.  If you needed medical assistance I would be qualified to make you better  :thumbsup:
Don't worry my haemorrhoids aren't going anywhere quickly!  :P

Oscar's dad

« Reply #536 on: 23 April, 2010, 01:01:34 pm »
Don't worry my haemorrhoids aren't going anywhere quickly!  :P

Easy, I never go anywhere without at least one pair of rubber gloves and my Leatherman Surge.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #537 on: 23 April, 2010, 01:21:46 pm »
Salford? :o ??? :o
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #538 on: 23 April, 2010, 01:25:20 pm »

Good pub quiz question: "What have Salford and Preston got in common with Rio de Janeiro?"

« Reply #539 on: 23 April, 2010, 01:28:40 pm »

Good pub quiz question: "What have Salford and Preston got in common with Rio de Janeiro?"
Don't 'ave a scooby on wot clazza said?  ???

The carnival runs out of beer and everybody switches to Cinzano?

« Reply #540 on: 23 April, 2010, 02:00:56 pm »
You have to look out for impoverished, shanty town dwellers?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #541 on: 23 April, 2010, 04:50:54 pm »
I am not going to make it after all.  :(
Take plenty of pics and have fun all.  ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #542 on: 23 April, 2010, 04:53:13 pm »
Oh mate. That's not good. Next time huh?

« Reply #543 on: 23 April, 2010, 04:56:35 pm »
I've got my Tokamak T-shirt on and everything...

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #544 on: 23 April, 2010, 05:09:05 pm »
I'm getting thirsty already!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #545 on: 23 April, 2010, 05:56:24 pm »
Definitely sandals weather.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #546 on: 23 April, 2010, 09:33:55 pm »
I am back.

I have suntan!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #547 on: 24 April, 2010, 12:32:41 am »
I was a late comer to this evening so didn't see Auntie H and only briefly had a chance to say hello to токамак before he zoomed off into the countryside.  Wowbagger followed along to the Compasses at Littley Green for a quick recharge before heading back off to Southend again*, impressive mileage indeed. 

Maldon Gold turned out to be the tipple of choice for the evening**  and it did a fine job of re-couping energy expenditure.

Plenty of banter occured in the Compasses. Conversations on the original IBM 1980s keyboards and the way modern spectrum emulators can also now mimic tape noise caused the locals to raise their eyebrows though  ;D

All in all a nice evening out  :thumbsup:

*We owe you a beer  :thumbsup:

** We may have emptied the barrel  :-X

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #548 on: 24 April, 2010, 01:18:19 am »
I got home about 12.35 a.m. - 118 miles for the day.

I rode 32 miles to Youngs Endwhere I met AH, then she and I pootled to Little Totham where I had two pints of Puck's Folly and we each consumed lasagne and chips. Then off to the Mundon Dead Oak Trees where we had chocolate cake and ice cream.

We returned to Young's End where Tokamak gave the pub the thumbs-down so off we went again to Fuller Street to the Square & Compasses where steak pie and chips were consumed. Then a little sojourn to Little Green (more Compasses) where Maldon Gold was to be found.

At 9.30, knowing I still had 30-odd miles to do, I set off.

In the morning I saw a blackcap in the hedge near East Hanningfield and at about 12.15 a.m., near a very busy, noisy road (the A127) I heard a nightingale through the gaps in the traffic.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #549 on: 24 April, 2010, 02:10:43 am »
Great night.

Diverted to S&C on the basis of texts received.  Diverted again once the eating contingent were fed, off to Littley Green, where there's more room for non-eaters.

1 (one!) pint of Dark Star "Over the Moon" in the S&C, followed by <cough> pints of Maldon Gold in the Compasses1.

I'm guessing around 24/25 miles, since we went the long way round to the S&C from Witham, but since I forgot my computer i won't know until OD checks in.

EDIT:  on the way home, I felt a click from the chain area, so spent the last part of the journey trying hard not to stand up on the pedals in case t went ping.  Inspection this morning shows that caution was definitely in order:-

1. We may have drank them out of Maldon Gold.  I blame chief - it was his "half" that broke the camel's back.