Author Topic: IOW Randonnee 4th May  (Read 25636 times)

Arthur

Re: IOW Randonnee 4th May
« Reply #50 on: 06 May, 2008, 09:08:13 am »
You may have seen us on the way round; he was on his new Islabikes Luath 700, I had his skull and crossbones BMX helmet strapped to the top of my Carradice as it was too hot for him to wear it.

I think we passed you somewhere between Alverstone and Whitwell. I had to do a double-take on that helmet. From a distance it looked like you had some kind of flash top-box on the bike.

« Reply #51 on: 06 May, 2008, 01:12:52 pm »
Good day out apart from serious knee problems less than 1/2ml from the finish.  Good job we were on the tandem as Mrs R had to get us to the finish (and to the ferry!).

We did an extended mini - totalling just under 50ml.

Only ACF shirt I saw was a chap with his middle teenage daughter.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #52 on: 06 May, 2008, 01:43:20 pm »
That might be JulesH IIRC

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #53 on: 06 May, 2008, 01:54:04 pm »
Very probably. I bumped into them at the finish.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #54 on: 06 May, 2008, 04:49:43 pm »
Surreal moment of the day was provided by a cattle jam in the road near Chale.

I was in that. How now brown cows!
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #55 on: 06 May, 2008, 05:01:21 pm »
Very probably. I bumped into them at the finish.

*Finally reads to end of thread*

Yes, that was me with Cecilia (14).  Her furthest ride in the past was a flattish 60 miles and I had forgotten just how hilly the IOW was as well as mistaking the first big climb for the second one  :o. We started at Wooton and she wasn't feeling too good by Freshwater but we finished and she recovered her sense of humour on the ferry back.

She now wants to do some 100k audaxes with me so I  guess that was a result.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

oldcobblers

« Reply #56 on: 06 May, 2008, 06:00:05 pm »
Did anyone else on the ride see the bloke dressed as a French onion seller, on the genuine onion-sellers bike - the one you pedal backwards for low gear?
He had the PBP number on the frame, and I remember reading about him on Cycling Plus.
Respect.
That would be a chap by the name of Drew Buck.  He did indeed do the PBP in that get-up and on that bike.  He did the previous one on a triplet tandem, and the one before that on a 100 year old Dursley Pedersen.  We await with baited breath what he chooses to use on the next one...

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
Re: IOW Randonnee
« Reply #57 on: 12 September, 2023, 08:00:32 pm »
This is still an annual GdS trip for me; sadly I missed this year's as was in Spain but rode it on the August BH and got a nice purple and white (very fitting!) badge from the organisers. 100s of other riders doing it both ways plus the added bonus of the motor scooters!

Does anyone else still do it? has to be one of the best 100k rides in the South. Cheapest way over seems to be the hovercraft now but bikes are now stored inside  :)

Re: IOW Randonnee
« Reply #58 on: 20 September, 2023, 04:58:23 pm »
Not this year but probably next. It's a great ride bar the.hideous climb out of Gurnard Bay.

This is still an annual GdS trip for me; sadly I missed this year's as was in Spain but rode it on the August BH and got a nice purple and white (very fitting!) badge from the organisers. 100s of other riders doing it both ways plus the added bonus of the motor scooters!

Does anyone else still do it? has to be one of the best 100k rides in the South. Cheapest way over seems to be the hovercraft now but bikes are now stored inside  :)
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #59 on: 27 September, 2023, 07:40:34 am »
I discovered this event last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was very well organised. I’m looking forward to going back next year when the date is announced.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #60 on: 29 September, 2023, 06:16:09 pm »
I discovered this event last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was very well organised. I’m looking forward to going back next year when the date is announced.

It's always the Sunday of the early May Bank Holiday weekend so 05.05.24