Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2468834 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #7400 on: 23 September, 2014, 08:28:05 pm »
Pity about all the excess metal in the transmission department, though  :P

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #7401 on: 23 September, 2014, 08:46:22 pm »
Pity about all the excess metal in the transmission department, though  :P

Singlespeed wasn't working for me on the Pugsley especially if I had to stand so I decided to run the Puffin geared.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #7402 on: 23 September, 2014, 08:47:24 pm »

Pugsley in singlespeed mode before I fitted the new pedals (Saint MX80s - God's own flattie) - I did consider fixed 'n fat until I actually priced up the cost of a new rear wheel. That ain't gonna happen any time soon  :jurek:

He's currently on loan to one of the lads at the LBS who's fat-curious, but I suspect I'll be logging a fair few miles once I'm out of plaster on the fairly sensible premise that 4" tyres at 20psi will be kinder to my wrist than 2.2s at 40psi (although I could fit a Big Fat Larry 4.8 on the front if I wanted to  :demon: )

26x15 before anyone asks and yes, there's a reason for it.

Looking at this isn't helping the n+1 itch :P

This might help that itch?

Don't take this the wrong waybut

Bastard ;)

I love your bike

;D

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #7403 on: 23 September, 2014, 09:34:04 pm »
My latest (and also oldest) steed:

;D

Used to be my dad's but I don't know much about it really - see thread in The Knowledge if you can enlighten me.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #7404 on: 24 September, 2014, 09:07:57 pm »

On my return I took the decision to get the Spa Cycles Reynolds 725 steel Audax frame and forks and build it up ready for commuting / touring. I took the decision to fit with a SRAM Apex groupset, 50-34 Chainset and 11-32 Cassette, Tektro R737 long drop brakes, BTwin White aero handlebars, Deda Zero1 stem, Shimano RS11 wheelset & Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick (700x23) - (Got some Rubino Pro 700x28 to go on) & White leather saddle (from Amazon).

Very nice, but why not full guards?

Very nice, but where's the marmite?

« Reply #7405 on: 26 September, 2014, 02:20:53 pm »

Pugsley in singlespeed mode before I fitted the new pedals (Saint MX80s - God's own flattie) - I did consider fixed 'n fat until I actually priced up the cost of a new rear wheel. That ain't gonna happen any time soon  :jurek:

He's currently on loan to one of the lads at the LBS who's fat-curious, but I suspect I'll be logging a fair few miles once I'm out of plaster on the fairly sensible premise that 4" tyres at 20psi will be kinder to my wrist than 2.2s at 40psi (although I could fit a Big Fat Larry 4.8 on the front if I wanted to  :demon: )

26x15 before anyone asks and yes, there's a reason for it.

Looking at this isn't helping the n+1 itch :P

This might help that itch?

Don't take this the wrong waybut

Bastard ;)

I love your bike

;D

YEEEHHAAAAAAA!

I've been given the green light for a fatbike :thumbsup:

I can have it for xmas, if I slowly chip away she may crack before then ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #7406 on: 27 September, 2014, 09:00:33 am »

:smug:

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7407 on: 28 September, 2014, 10:12:49 am »

1948-53? Leach Mararthon

1st Edition - stainless steel mudguards to come and probably red cables  :D

« Reply #7408 on: 28 September, 2014, 11:56:33 am »

:smug:

Not quite finished or a deliberate choice?
Working my way up to inferior.

clifftaylor

« Reply #7409 on: 28 September, 2014, 02:01:51 pm »
Ah yes - decided to use LBS for the front mech, as a gesture of something or other. Bought it last Saturday, but discovered when I got home that the box said 34mm band, but what was inside was 31mm; went back to change it, but they didn't have anything suitable. "We'll get one in in, should be here by next Saturday"; went back yesterday, and it's still not in - should be in by next Saturday....This is why I usually use Wiggle.

I'm running 46/34 and 12-27, and as long as I choose my circuit carefully (rural Derbyshire), I can get away with the 46 only.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #7410 on: 28 September, 2014, 02:23:13 pm »
Ah, I was wondering about the chainring not being a Shimano item - now I understand!

clifftaylor

« Reply #7411 on: 28 September, 2014, 02:45:17 pm »
Tiagra compact cranks, TA outer, can't remember what the inner is.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7412 on: 28 September, 2014, 04:44:54 pm »
1948-53? Leach Mararthon

imo, cables are the nicest looking thing on this bike (and the pump) - leave them :)

« Reply #7413 on: 28 September, 2014, 04:54:40 pm »
1948-53? Leach Mararthon

imo, cables are the nicest looking thing on this bike (and the pump) - leave them :)

Indeed.
Not unlike Goodridge Aeroquip hoses.
Yummy!
ETA - They'd look the part on my Ti bike.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7414 on: 28 September, 2014, 05:58:04 pm »
My old underused Trek MTB converted to a SS town/work bike. (Waiting patiently for arrival of dynohub wheel from PB :-)

P9286587 by windy_, on Flickr

P9286586 by windy_, on Flickr

P9286584 by windy_, on Flickr

« Reply #7415 on: 28 September, 2014, 06:08:05 pm »
Very nice.   It will be in the post tomorrow.  Promise.   8)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7416 on: 28 September, 2014, 06:10:30 pm »
Is that a Girvin FlexStem on there? Been many a year since I last saw one of those.

Also, if you plan to head off-road you might want to diddle the chain tensioner so it pushes up rather than down - better chain wrap, y'see.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7417 on: 28 September, 2014, 06:21:12 pm »
No hurry PB, still coming home in daylight and have battery lights on just in case. Found an old BM headlamp with my spares - it was originally used with a bottle dynamo, will it be usable with a dynohub?

Interzen - it is indeed a flexstem :-) (how do you diddle the tensioner?)

« Reply #7418 on: 28 September, 2014, 08:19:57 pm »
Ooops.  I'd been quite happy with my rather scruffy Lemond Tourmalet, but then someone was coming to the conclusion that he wasn't getting enough use out of this, and sold me the frameset.

It's ugly (I seriously wondered about posting it in another thread) but it rides like a dream.  As I said to Jurek earlier today as he lugged a week's worth of wild rocket and gherkins along the street on the bars of his ever-shiny pompino), it doesn't get any easier, you just go faster!  It's not much lighter than the Lemond - there's about half a pound difference - but it just feels so good.
 Behold the red nipples, the carbon everything, the wonky bench and the blood-red flowers.

« Reply #7419 on: 28 September, 2014, 08:35:48 pm »
A current picture of the Thorn, it has had to go back to them this week to have the creaking bottom bracket and seatpost sorted but all sorted under the warranty, done a few changes when I put it back together.

A better picture of the Ribble as well.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7420 on: 04 October, 2014, 07:32:50 pm »
my unfinished runabout bike, which i've put together with the parts i found lying around. needs front mech, cables and mudguards. wheels will obviously be replaced to something less attractive (mavic a319 or a719). brake calipers are unique in a way that they work with both 700c and 26" rims (with road and mtb levers correspondingly).

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7421 on: 04 October, 2014, 07:53:32 pm »
A current picture of the Thorn, it has had to go back to them this week to have the creaking bottom bracket and seatpost sorted but all sorted under the warranty, done a few changes when I put it back together.

A better picture of the Ribble as well.

How do they compare when ridden, set up  almost the same, so should be interesting answer.

« Reply #7422 on: 04 October, 2014, 09:00:07 pm »
How do they compare when ridden, set up  almost the same, so should be interesting answer.

Thorn is leagues ahead in all respects yes it is a lot more money but well worth it, the Ribble feels racier plus the steering feels quicker which I am not keen on.

The biggest issue with the Ribble when you consider it is a winter frame is tyre clearance, you cannot run anything bigger than a 23 with mudguards, the standard brakes really limit it.

« Reply #7423 on: 05 October, 2014, 10:40:20 am »
It's first proper outing, love it!

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #7424 on: 14 October, 2014, 10:56:00 pm »
Oops!