Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2466701 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #2350 on: 28 November, 2009, 06:52:11 pm »
Taken in September, my ridgeback on a sunny day...

Nice Ridgeback Dan.  I got mine in October but since then have only been out a couple of times.  It feels fast after a couple of years on my steel Raleigh MTB so the Horizon is still being run in.You're obviously enjoying yours as much  as I plan to.
The older I get, the better I was

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2351 on: 28 November, 2009, 07:23:11 pm »
This was supposed to be a horizontal dropout replacement for the Frankendale and turned into a quest for the perfect commuting bike (OK, it doesn't have a rack, but I used to have one and found I get on better with a courier bag).

Very nice!

The 'High Vis' paint job is especially sensible :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2352 on: 28 November, 2009, 10:27:45 pm »
Grass verge green and tarmac black?  I thought so  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2353 on: 29 November, 2009, 04:44:22 pm »

Rather short stem!!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #2354 on: 29 November, 2009, 05:39:33 pm »

Fairly simple control layout.

Nice bars! Simplicity always looks good (as I tell myself every morning in the mirror  ;D).

« Reply #2355 on: 29 November, 2009, 10:57:46 pm »

Is it a dinner plate?  Is it a frisbee?  No, it's a 205mm brake disc for drag-brake stupidity.  Note old-school steel QR tucked under the caliper so it can't come loose.

It rides...well, beautifully, which is surprising given the weird geometry and the slightly short forks (the frame is recommended for 470mm sussers, these are 445mm rigid Project Twos).

Kit list: On-One Inbred Slot Dropout 18" frame, Kona Project Two fork, Race Face Diabolus stem, Syncros bars, Cannondale grips, X-Lite Stubbie bar ends, Hope M4 (original) hydraulic disc brake with Mini lever and 205mm disc (no.8 caliper), Cane Creek S6 headset, Hope 30.0mm seatclamp, Thomson Elite layback seatpost, Specialized BG Comp 143 saddle, Shimano 107mm UN54 BB, Sugino XD cranks, Surly 38T s/s chainring, KMC Z510 gold chain (the cheapest thing on the bike - a fiver!), E.A.I. 14T sprocket.  Wheels: rear Goldtec track hub, 36 DT Competition black spokes, Mavic XC717 disc rim, Schwalble Marathon Plus 26 x 1.35 and front Hope Pro II hub, same spokes, rim and tyre.  Accessories: Halfords full mudguards with lots of custom bracketry and Smart 1/2-watt rear light.  Hope Vision 1 front light not shown.

Fab looking bike Roger.
One word of warning (from recent experience)- check that the fork is warranted for 205mm rotors. The Enigma fork on my Engima apparently wasn't. It has broken at a weld where the steerer is joined to the fork.
Just saying  ;)

« Reply #2356 on: 30 November, 2009, 09:37:03 am »
Is it a dinner plate?  Is it a frisbee?  No, it's a 205mm brake disc for drag-brake stupidity.  Note old-school steel QR tucked under the caliper so it can't come loose.

I'm running a 160mm cable BB7 on the front of my roadrat (until recently without a rear brake). I've not had any fade problems using it as an (occasional) drag brake, although the hills round here are more the short and sharp type. You must have some very long hills round your gaff (or perhaps not be comfortable at high cadence for very long?).

I also use a quick release without any problems, although if you believe the science it's because Cotic forks have the disc on the right hand side.

« Reply #2357 on: 30 November, 2009, 09:47:23 am »

One word of warning (from recent experience)- check that the fork is warranted for 205mm rotors. The Enigma fork on my Engima apparently wasn't. It has broken at a weld where the steerer is joined to the fork.
Just saying  ;)

What's the biggest disc rotor you can get on a Kona Project 2 fork?

We did that already!

« Reply #2358 on: 30 November, 2009, 11:10:42 am »

Fairly simple control layout.

You didn't butt-up the left grip to the bar end on porpoise, so you could shatter all the OCD comments.
You sneaky bastard!

Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #2359 on: 30 November, 2009, 11:14:15 am »
The top headset cup logo isn't exactly square to the frame either. 

What happened to standards, eh?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2360 on: 30 November, 2009, 06:14:51 pm »
The top headset cup logo isn't exactly square to the frame either. 

What happened to standards, eh?

But the bike is clean.  Almost as if it has never left the back garden...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2361 on: 30 November, 2009, 06:41:17 pm »
I'm running a 160mm cable BB7 on the front of my roadrat (until recently without a rear brake). I've not had any fade problems using it as an (occasional) drag brake, although the hills round here are more the short and sharp type. You must have some very long hills round your gaff (or perhaps not be comfortable at high cadence for very long?).
Fluid boiling is the main risk with a hydraulic brake - you suddenly have no brake if that happens.  A larger, heavier rotor helps a bit, as does changing the fluid regularly.  We do have some hills where a rim brake will start to burn if used to hold 30mph, and while that isn't serious in itself, the front tyre pressure could be getting very uncomfortable.  Coming down off Uffington White Horse is a pretty good test of any brake, since it's way too steep to pedal and you also have to come to a dead stop at the end.

The tandem crowd like the Avid cable brakes because there is no risk of fluid boiling and it keeps the heat away from the rims.  Apparently the plastic fittings melt on long descents, but Avid sell spare parts  :o
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #2362 on: 06 December, 2009, 02:52:09 pm »
I retrieved the bike this morning [well had it brought back for me :)]

Poor Ronnie is in a bad way :( :'( :'( this was my LEL bike in 2005  :'( :'(

So far I can see the bent down and top tubes, the forks are twisted as well as bent back, the front wheel is buckled, the handlebars are bent and the mudguards are twisted.
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #2363 on: 06 December, 2009, 03:01:53 pm »

So far I can see the bent down and top tubes, the forks are twisted as well as bent back, the front wheel is buckled, the handlebars are bent and the mudguards are twisted.

Chain's a bit slack  ;)

« Reply #2364 on: 06 December, 2009, 05:27:10 pm »
John Deere green like NYBCs, I like the colour.

« Reply #2365 on: 07 December, 2009, 01:09:22 pm »
So I've finally got my Dave Yates 531 Audax (1997) rebuilt as a fixed wheel winter training bike! (Picked it up in August.)

I had the LBS deal with a very seized stem (had to be cut out) and fit new headset and suitable BB for proper chainset/fixed wheel sprocket alignment. They also built the wheels for me.

I collected the frame on Saturday morning and spent the rest of the day putting it all together. Here's the finished item:

Then on Sunday I took it out on a 50 mile club run. Verdict - bloody brilliant! :thumbsup: ;D

« Reply #2366 on: 07 December, 2009, 02:11:38 pm »
The chain in the first pic looks slightly.... err... Well, you know  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #2367 on: 07 December, 2009, 02:23:03 pm »
Nice bike  :)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2368 on: 07 December, 2009, 02:26:10 pm »
What a lovely looking machine.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #2369 on: 07 December, 2009, 02:26:45 pm »
Bobb, I think you'll find that it's actually the angle of the spokes in juxtaposition to the chain creating the illusion of slackness... ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2370 on: 07 December, 2009, 02:41:46 pm »
Oooh. :P
Getting there...

« Reply #2371 on: 07 December, 2009, 02:51:25 pm »
I should point out the bike formerly belonged to eck of this parish, and I've not done much to change the overall appearance of it. Original listing here.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2372 on: 07 December, 2009, 03:59:27 pm »
I should point out the bike formerly belonged to eck of this parish, and I've not done much to change the overall appearance of it. Original listing here.

Which LBS did you use?

« Reply #2373 on: 07 December, 2009, 04:04:09 pm »
Someone seems to have cut the sides off your mudguards though  ;)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2374 on: 07 December, 2009, 04:20:19 pm »

As they say 'oop North' - That wants mendin' with a new 'un!

Hope you're getting better.

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.