Author Topic: Tesco Chicken  (Read 5153 times)

Re: Tesco Chicken
« Reply #25 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:08:48 pm »
We ry to only buy happy chickens. The ones in the garden are too old for the pot ...

..d
No, they just need very slow casseroling . . . . 
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #26 on: 29 January, 2009, 03:01:27 pm »
We ry to only buy happy chickens. The ones in the garden are too old for the pot ...

..d
No, they just need very slow casseroling . . . . 

They are The Ingredient for 'Jewish Penicillin'.

« Reply #27 on: 29 January, 2009, 07:48:14 pm »
Last chicken we bought was from an independent butcher (Vicars, West Street, Reading), a couple of weeks ago. It was smaller, & considerably more expensive per kilo than a "2 for £5" Tesco offer, but was still pretty cheap in my opinion, gave the two of us all the meat we felt like eating for two solid meals, & was very tasty, & solid meat, not slushy & watery, like the last really cheap chicken I had the misfortune to eat some of.

It wasn't even one of their more up-market chickens, but a basic ordinary one.

Your chicken from a proper butcher was probably hand plucked in the traditional way. But chickens that are plucked for supermarkets on a, stack em high sell em cheap, basis are pumped full of water to speed up the plucking process. So your 2kg Tesco chicken has the same amount of meat as a smaller chicken from a proper butcher.

I'm a bit surprised at how unpopular the Tesco chicken is. I sometimes eat a couple a week. They taste good to me. ??? I don't doubt that a chicken from a butcher is tastier and better quality.

True that poor people don't need to eat meat. I tried being a veggy for a week while touring with £13 per day to spend on my food and accommodation. I cracked after about 6 days and bought a kilogram of cheap sausages  :P. I do miss meat if I go without. But I don't eat meat every day.

« Reply #28 on: 30 January, 2009, 05:58:11 pm »
The chap on the next allotment is about to get some meat chickens. He reckons they'll be ready to eat in about 10 weeks from hatching. Seems an awfully short time to me.
Stropping rocks

« Reply #29 on: 30 January, 2009, 06:58:29 pm »
Almost twice as long as Tescos.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #30 on: 01 February, 2009, 04:24:02 pm »
The chap on the next allotment is about to get some meat chickens. He reckons they'll be ready to eat in about 10 weeks from hatching. Seems an awfully short time to me.

Not far off. About three months is normal. I have been tempted but I'm not sure the family would go for it. Out of sight out of mind in this case.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #31 on: 06 February, 2009, 05:54:43 am »
I am not any kind of food evangelist but generally try to buy good stuff when I can. I was recently in a hot debate with the landlady of my local puberama who insisted that the chickens in tesco were as good as those from the butcher where i was paying nearly twice the price for them. I decided to give the tesco chicken a go and smothered it in butter and garlic and lemon juice as i usually do and roasted it. It was nasty and tasteless. The whole thing was completel;y different in taste and texture compared to the butchers chicken. I usually make stock with what is left but frankly didn't feel there was any point. I would get more flavour by boiling the cutlery than those pathetic, pale bones.