Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3816124 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #75 on: 04 April, 2008, 06:46:50 pm »
Just a wee 3 mile pootle on the B to the garage to pick up my car from the garage.  Lovely afternoon ;D

CathH

« Reply #76 on: 04 April, 2008, 09:06:14 pm »
Heavenly little 10 mile jaunt into the hills in the sunshine.  Stopped for a muse and a brownie sitting on the grass, it was so warm it felt like June.  Hubby went past me on the bus on the way home and waved.   Looking at my route on Memory Map - what fun.

Fi

« Reply #77 on: 04 April, 2008, 09:24:50 pm »
To work and back, and on my day off too.

gordon taylor

« Reply #78 on: 04 April, 2008, 09:26:49 pm »
To work and back, and on my day off too.

Ditto!

Fi

« Reply #79 on: 04 April, 2008, 09:32:11 pm »
'Snot fair is it?

« Reply #80 on: 04 April, 2008, 11:43:15 pm »
Round Richmond Park again, but was feeling utterly slow and rubbish so had a paddy and threw the bike on the grass at one point. Why oh why am I not getting my fitness back? I really don't enjoy cycling anymore. I just feel like I should.

Nothing wrong with being slow - just enjoy being out on the bike ;)

The fitness will come back slowly  :-*

« Reply #81 on: 05 April, 2008, 12:01:09 am »
Round Richmond Park again, but was feeling utterly slow and rubbish so had a paddy and threw the bike on the grass at one point. Why oh why am I not getting my fitness back? I really don't enjoy cycling anymore. I just feel like I should.

Oooh get you!!!  :o ;D

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #82 on: 05 April, 2008, 10:09:59 am »
I set off about 8.30 in sunshine. within 5mins I got hit by a 'blizzard' (2 deg C, 40mph wind and driving snow) I lasted a few kilometres and headed home (5km total), I was freezing and legs feet were dripping, so I stripped to shorts and vest and did a 20km mammoth roller session

The suns now shining and there's no sign of snow

edit: in the time its taken to have a shower, another snowy squall has hit us and it's 'white' outside. Not a day for the bike, don't feel so bad for turning back off my ride now

Fi

« Reply #83 on: 05 April, 2008, 02:37:54 pm »

Perhaps you're trying too hard?  If you relax and just accept you're going to be slower than you were so you get into a rhythm, you'll enjoy it a bit and your strength t will return gradually. 

« Reply #84 on: 05 April, 2008, 02:46:33 pm »

Try to take smaller bites at the fitness apple then you'll find you get there and feel happier.

I well remember the frustrations I went through after a few months lay off from running after tearing my knee ligaments in the 1989 London Marathon.   A good friend and fellow club runner took me aside and told me to take my head out of my a**e and put some proper rehabillitation work in to regain my fitness.   Harsh but true words.   

« Reply #85 on: 05 April, 2008, 03:15:36 pm »
Try something different then.   Swimming and dancing is doing it for me  8)   

« Reply #86 on: 05 April, 2008, 03:19:30 pm »
Yes, maybe I should. Now, where can I buy some motivation...

« Reply #87 on: 05 April, 2008, 03:29:58 pm »
<Reverse psychology mode>

I forbid you from doing any exercise. You must stay in doors and be misgogs. >:( >:( >:(

</Reverse psychology mode>
Stropping rocks

« Reply #88 on: 05 April, 2008, 03:56:36 pm »
<Reverse psychology mode>

I forbid you from doing any exercise. You must stay in doors and be misgogs. >:( >:( >:(

</Reverse psychology mode>
Hmm. I am wrapped up on the sofa with a mug of tea and a biscuit. I am following your orders correctly, sir?  ???  :evil:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #89 on: 05 April, 2008, 04:20:24 pm »
Peli, what about thinking of summer and considering some pub tours? Get the riders together, do some miles and have some fun. Fitness takes second place, but it will follow.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #90 on: 05 April, 2008, 04:29:02 pm »
But a "ride at the pace of the slowest" will always be "ride at the Baggers' pace"! Pick a pub - any pub - I'm yours! :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #91 on: 05 April, 2008, 04:29:56 pm »
But a "ride at the pace of the slowest" will always be "ride at the Baggers' pace"! Pick a pub - any pub - I'm yours! :D
;D thank you, Wow.

Martin

« Reply #92 on: 05 April, 2008, 04:39:55 pm »
after football duty this am was called upon to give Left Back a lift over to Tilgate for jumps as he didn't want to ride on his own; I rode over with him to show him the nice technical downhill off the Balcombe Rd; wasn't allowed to come up to where his mates were (and ruin his cred) but had a quick go on the big singletrack slalom the bigger boys had built round the corner. It's nice to see these unofficial facilities spontaneously appearing all over the place.

GillP

« Reply #93 on: 05 April, 2008, 06:10:59 pm »
We have been out along the prom today. Thought we'd do a pootle from St Annes along Blackpool way and see how far we got. Boy, was it windy going out, but the sun was shining and it was great cycling along the prom out of the traffic.  :)

Seemed to be incredibly slow going due to the wind but we managed to get as far as Fleetwood, stopped for tea and scones and turned for home. We got the benefit of the wind that caused us to struggle going out and we flew back in half the time. It was fantastic and we got a real buzz from it.  :D What we thought would be a pootle turned into 30 miles of reasonable exercise, and on top of all that Alan will be pleased to know that our dlwg hasn't deserted us since our move to Lancashire, we had a few spots of rain on the way out and that was it, but when we got back the heavens opened and the hail came down, fortunately we were in the local shop buying milk at the time  ;D

« Reply #94 on: 06 April, 2008, 05:02:16 am »
No, and I keep seeing roadies flash by or struggle by in this glorious weather - bright blue sky not a cloud in sight and 22c of warmth.
I have just addmitted to Mrs G and my mum that I miss my bike.
I think they think I am crazy.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #95 on: 06 April, 2008, 07:37:00 am »
Does getting halfway to the shed before deciding that cycling in the snow might be considered a little obsessive and turning back count?

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #96 on: 06 April, 2008, 03:12:00 pm »
About 35 miles, usual loop. Actually very enjoyable - a few snow flurries, nothing serious, and not that cold (so long as you kept moving :D).

« Reply #97 on: 06 April, 2008, 04:00:08 pm »
Had a nice ride out this morning until I hit the patch of black ice.  Got a loverly war wound now ;D

Still glad I went though

melw1

« Reply #98 on: 06 April, 2008, 04:19:47 pm »
Had a lovely ride with our local CTC group - hail was a bit painful at times though.  Really April weather - hot (well kind of!) sunny one min then howling hail storm the next :) Good fun though.

« Reply #99 on: 06 April, 2008, 06:45:14 pm »
I put off posting a letter yesterday on purpose so I was forced to deliver it by bike today.
This gave me a very nice 35 mile round trip in thick falling snow.  :thumbsup: