Author Topic: Superb Owl 58  (Read 746 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Superb Owl 58
« on: 12 February, 2024, 12:31:15 am »
I’m staying up for the time being to watch the ‘Mericans silly game. For the time being I’m being entertained by a bit of a battle.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Superb Owl 58
« Reply #1 on: 12 February, 2024, 12:48:07 am »
Supper Bowl.

I didn't watch it on account of eating hot dogs and burgers and drinking buckets of coke.(yes, I know it goes on for anothr 5 hours or so…)
It is simpler than it looks.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2024, 01:17:37 am »
This is the bit that really gets to me. We’ve had 30 minutes of play - that’s taken 1 ¾ of an hour! - and now we’ve got to wait 20 minutes for a half time show which will be far too long, and then wait another 20 minutes while they clear the field before the second half starts.

It _could_ be a reasonable game if it wasn’t for all the bollox.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

sam

« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2024, 02:37:12 am »
I don't think I've ever watched a whole one, despite growing up in a house where the TV was usually tuned into either football or baseball, both of my parents being sports fans (they met at a game where my mom was playing softball). The only sport I ever got into, briefly, was tennis when Borg & McEnroe were going at it.

In high school I did spend a lot of time on the sidelines with my camera, soaking in the cool night autumn air, watching the weekly dramas while not really caring who won. (I also enjoyed Friday Night Lights.) Mostly organised sports drive me crazy with all the stops and starts.

My brother-in-law's father was a professional football player – a defensive lineman, I see from his Wikipedia page – for the Cleveland Browns and a few other teams. He was BIG, and died relatively young of a heart attack.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2024, 03:51:18 am »
Well, it’s finished but the entertainment kept on right to the very end. They played an extra 15 minutes and the game was in the balance right to the very end.
Fours twenty minutes in an awful long time to make 75 minutes of play last though.

sam

« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2024, 04:46:45 am »
half time show

Was just reminded of this, which ended up on my iPod. (Full version. Just spotted this parody.) Does it bother me if Katy Perry sits next to Shostakovich? No it does not.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2024, 04:22:06 pm »
I got quite into American football for a while when C4 started showing it in the 80s - around the same time they started showing other minority sports like sumo, kabbadi and, er, cycling. I even went to a college game once - Florida Gators at the Orange Bowl. Against Georgia Tech, IIRC. It was great - the game flowed at a much faster pace when it wasn’t stopping for TV commercials every few minutes.

Last time I looked at the NFL, I didn’t even recognise half the team names.

And I’m far too old and decrepit now to be staying up all night to sit through this kind of nonsense when I’ve got work the next day.

Was it a good game?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 12 February, 2024, 06:07:17 pm »
Was it a good game?

Taylor Swift probably thinks so :P
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 12 February, 2024, 06:13:14 pm »
And Biden. Given it was rigged to get him back in.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #9 on: 12 February, 2024, 07:18:05 pm »
And Biden. Given it was rigged to get him back in.  ;D

The Chiefs beat the 49ers in the 2020 Superbowl. Biden beat Trump in the 2020 election.

What a coincidence, eh?

iT's AlL rIgGeD!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche