Author Topic: Canti's and drop bars?  (Read 1936 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Canti's and drop bars?
« on: 30 January, 2012, 11:55:40 pm »
I've got the Canti's on my Thorn Sherpa and they are very fiddly and I don't quite trust them!

If I were to change for something a bit easier to use I have had the Avid Shorty 4's recommended. Is there any restriction on which canti sets I can use with drop bars brake levers?   
Other option is to try the "Travel agents" and use V-brakes but I have heard that is a less than perfect solution.

Thoughts?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Canti's and drop bars?
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2012, 12:16:20 am »
As far as I am aware, all cantis will work with drop bars.

I've got Tektro Oryx brakes on mine, which are reasonably effective. They won't stop you as well as v-brakes but they do work.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2012, 12:17:08 am »
I'd fit an Alhonga dual-pivot caliper, for the front, if it has enough drop.  One can be used with a mudgaurd and 35mm tyre, contrary to popular belief.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2012, 12:18:35 am »
Avid Shorty 4s should be fine with drop bars - after all, plenty of cyclo-cross riders use Avid's Shorty range.

If you're going to go for v-brakes with drop bars, you need the short-arm versions such as Tektro 926AL or Genetic Mini V. These have braking arms around 1.5cm shorter than standard v-brakes, reducing the cable pull required, so they don't need pull adjust cams.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #4 on: 31 January, 2012, 12:23:01 am »
V brakes with Cane Creek Drop V levers http://www.canecreek.com/component-other?product=drop-v would give you lots of stopping power and easy setup. Avid Shortys with regular drop bar levers would work well, too.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 31 January, 2012, 12:29:00 am »
V brakes with Cane Creek Drop V levers http://www.canecreek.com/component-other?product=drop-v would give you lots of stopping power and easy setup.
Yes, or the (cheaper) Tektro RL520 levers. IME these are much easier to setup and get working well than any sort of cantilever brakes.

This is assuming you are not using STI shifters.

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2012, 12:34:01 am »
I'm more worried about the cost of changing to V- specific levers as it would mean new V brakes, New levers, new bar tape and so on. Calipers would make the forks look wrong with them having the braze ons for V or Canti's. The only other option would be to lose the drops as I have a set of V brake levers and the Thumbies for shifers. I think I prefer the look and feel of Canti's though. I think the Shorty 4s look okay, about £24-00 each end. The bike is useable as is but I just don't like the way the brakes were so totally fiddly to set up when I put them on there. I'm using bar end shifters but, as I said, I have the Pauls Thumbies for if I were to change from drop bars. I'll waffle for a while and see how I feel in a day or two.

Edit... What about these?   http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dia-compe-287v-aero-v-brake-levers-prod64/?src=froogle
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #7 on: 31 January, 2012, 08:01:28 am »
The only prob I've ever had with old-fashioned traditional style cantis (now better know as cyclo-cross style or froggleg syle) is when I tried to pair them with a Shimano STI.   The bike originally had a Weinmann levers with a QR button, and of course STIs expect the QR to be on the calipers.  That bike has now been Shimergo'd so restoring the QR to the lever.
I've never found those any more fiddly to set up than dual-pivots.  Petersen SE** cantis are a bit of a faff to install the first time, but you just have to follow the instructions to the letter instead of thinking you know about cantis, and hey presto it all works.  With Ergo levers they provide a rear brake which is easily powerful enough to lock the rear wheel, but remarkably easy to modulate.

** http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150625815374?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2012, 08:09:02 am »
I have cantis on the TinOne and *if they're set up properly* they're as good as a DP and a lot less faff than a V brake. It's worth digging out Sheldon's advice on cantis and setting them up as he suggests. Once done they Just Work.

« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2012, 09:15:45 am »
^ wot e sed

<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2012, 11:07:43 am »
I agree (obv).

But after a few years with low profile cantis on tandem and tourer, I changed them to wide profile, which is so much better.  Don't compromise with anything else.
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 31 January, 2012, 11:15:38 am »
Personal experience says v brakes and v brake specific levers.   I found that cantis just don't have the grunt for a bear on a fully loaded tourer.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 31 January, 2012, 11:41:28 am »
I've never seen a v-brake where the noodle wasn't pulling through a bent catch.  But each to their own.
Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: 31 January, 2012, 11:48:11 am »
I've never had a failure of any sort with a v brake but I had a near fatal due to a canti failure..  but each to his own.   :)

« Reply #14 on: 31 January, 2012, 02:09:19 pm »
I've never seen a v-brake where the noodle wasn't pulling through a bent catch.  But each to their own.
I've had noodle failure twice, both times with Deore V brakes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #15 on: 01 February, 2012, 08:49:23 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts so far. I am leaning towards staying with Cantis but my mind is on other things for a few days so I'll try and think about it when I am a bit more "With it"!