Author Topic: Monkii cages, anybody used them?  (Read 1991 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Monkii cages, anybody used them?
« on: 05 September, 2013, 01:07:59 am »
Saw them in Velovision and they look like a very useful thing. My main fluid when rising is a flask of coffee and ordinary bottle cages make with the Rattles and scratch upside the vessel in there. These are velcro fastened, easy access and have rubber seatings for the bottle/flask/whatever. Not cheap a6t £11-75 each plus postage but look very useful.

Cyclemiles stocks them..

http://www.freeparable.com/monkiicagev
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

LeFlic

• Retired and enjoying it!
    • Somer Valley Cycling Club
Re: Monkii cages, anybody used them?
« Reply #1 on: 05 September, 2013, 07:04:05 am »
I bought a set some time ago, a bottle cage, a tool roll and the zip up bag plus some extra mounts.

I have used the tool roll daily, mainly because it is easy to swap between bikes.

The zip bag I have used probably only two or three times.

The bottle cage is good for non standard sized bottles but I haven't found it very secure and it has bounced off once or twice. I may be using it wrong but to make the bottle secure you have to velcro it in tightly an then remove the bottle and cage together to drink, it can then be awkward to replace on the move.

I wouldn't rule it out though as it is convenient for odd bottles, I have used it successfully with a trangia fuel bottle.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2 on: 05 September, 2013, 03:08:52 pm »
From what I know, you are meant t take the bottle and cage together. I like the look of these as the variable width accommodation would be useful to me.
Maybe next week.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #3 on: 05 September, 2013, 03:25:08 pm »
Quite a few people in the London Brompton Club have them, the version that has a clip that goes round the front stem.  Mainly used for hot drinks thermal cups, and they seem happy with them

I cheat and use the rear pocket of my front bag, but had considered one for short day rides where I don't take the larger bag.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 12 December, 2014, 10:59:02 pm »
Bought one of these, along with a Monkii Clip, a while ago as it seems to be the best solution (other than the back pocket of a bag) for the Brompton.  Finally got round to fitting it, and the clip self-destructed shortly afterwards.  I probably over-tightened it (it really doesn't need to be very tight), but it might have been a dodgy clip.

Nevertheless, I emailed CycleMiles and he's sending a new one out free of charge.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 13 December, 2014, 12:13:03 am »
Another happy customer here: I use one (a V) with my Trangia fuel bottle.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 13 December, 2014, 12:27:43 am »
What's the difference between the normal one and the V (I must admit, I hadn't noticed there were two versions when I ordered it)?  V goes in sideways?

« Reply #7 on: 13 December, 2014, 08:30:37 am »
Yep, V goes on at an angle.

I have got most of the range.  I won them in a CycleMiles competition.  I already had a bottle holder which I had bought for my Strida.  A Strida is a bike to look at rather than ride, so it never got tested.  I haven't fitted the bottle holder to the Thorn as they don't fit properly due to the placing of the bottle bosses.  I have stuck to the Topeak cages which are also adjustable.  There is something to be said for being able to stick something awkwardly shaped in adjustable holders, so Monkii is brilliant for that.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #8 on: 13 December, 2014, 08:55:49 am »
As an alternative approach why not get a flask that fits a normal cage? I've got a stainless steel insulated bottle that I use in winter time

« Reply #9 on: 13 December, 2014, 10:55:01 am »
What's the difference between the normal one and the V

With the V model the cleats enter the clip from the top (for the top cleat) and from the bottom (for the bottom cleat). So first you slide the top all the way on from the side, then rotate the cage so it's in line with the tube. Next you pull down so the bottom cleat goes into its bit of the clip and the top cleat clicks into the clicky bit midway up the top part

It's good for when there's not enough space up-tube of your mounts for getting a whole bottle-length in, and also a bit more secure on the road because it needs a two-stage movement to come off the bike.

There are a couple of videos showing the movements under the big video on this page:
http://www.freeparable.com/monkiicagev

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 13 December, 2014, 12:36:35 pm »
As an alternative approach why not get a flask that fits a normal cage? I've got a stainless steel insulated bottle that I use in winter time

Depends what problem you're trying to solve.  A flask of any dimensions won't solve the lack of bottle mounts on a Brompton...