Author Topic: In agony; help needed!  (Read 4445 times)

gonzo

In agony; help needed!
« on: 14 April, 2008, 07:20:55 am »
I've something to the muscles around my shoulderblade; it really hurts. I get shooting pains highlighting where I would imagine that the top and left sides of my left shoulderblade are ever time I move my head or left arm in the wrong way (head down/right and left arm up).

To start with I thought I'd just move it around and leave it in a position that it sort of hurted to strech it. But since then it's started to REALLY hurt!

Any tips?

border-rider

Re: In agony; help needed!
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2008, 07:29:01 am »
Short term: Ibuprofen.

Then get to a  physio as soon as you possibly can.

It's not going to be life threatening or permanent, but with treatment and directed movement/exercise it'll become mobile faster, and with less chance of longer-term problems (like stiffness) and recurrence.

gonzo

« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2008, 07:36:48 am »
Thanks for the advice Mal!

Unfortunately, I'm booked into a windtunnel for the next 3 days and time in there is like gold dust so I really can't do anything till Thursday.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2008, 07:44:17 am »
Like MV says Physio and the sooner the better.
It sounds like inflamation

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2008, 07:49:51 am »
Thanks for the advice Mal!

Unfortunately, I'm booked into a windtunnel for the next 3 days and time in there is like gold dust so I really can't do anything till Thursday.

Can you get an evening/early morning appointment ? Really, the first day or two is critical.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2008, 07:52:55 am »
Short term ibuprofen is also what I'd suggest, so long as there are no reasons you should not take it.
Maximum dose for 48 hours often shoves this sort of thing into the background, allowing you to get on with life!

Avoid provocative action for now.

Take it easy.
See if you can arrange a physio tonight.

Hope you're better soon.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2008, 08:16:50 am »
Why is it that I have more or less the same thing? Probably due to sitting in a bad position hacking on the laptop all Saturday.

Ah well, back to my ergonomically assessed workstation. It isn't so bad today (tiger balm and getting beaten up massaged by SWMBO seems to help).
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #7 on: 14 April, 2008, 08:39:19 am »
I had something similiar on PBP. I think it was at the return to Titineac that it happened.

It went away of its own accord though after I put on another layer and warmed up a bit.

Had me worried for a bit as I thought I was going to have to build a neck retaining contraption.

Oh yes. Bugger the wind tunnel Gonzo and get it sorted out.  ::-)

H

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 14 April, 2008, 08:52:55 am »
Why is it that I have more or less the same thing? Probably due to sitting in a bad position hacking on the laptop all Saturday.

Yes. Me too, also if sitting in a draught.

Put a pillow under your knees when sleeping at night. do no sit with your legs crossed.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #9 on: 14 April, 2008, 09:07:12 am »
Warmth. Try sitting on the floor with your back against a radiator; if the rad is too hot, put a towel on it first.

It sounds like you have a muscle locked in spasm. The heat might help it to relax. If you know a good sports massage person, they can prob help.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 14 April, 2008, 09:20:35 am »
Hot showers and long walks helped me.  Actually, lots of alcohol is also good.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

gonzo

« Reply #11 on: 14 April, 2008, 05:12:54 pm »
Hot showers and long walks helped me.  Actually, lots of alcohol is also good.

I was going to say Mr Charly gets the prize, but Rog was entirely right; a hot shower practically solved it! I can feel that it's slightly tight if I twist to my limits, but otherwise I'm much better.

« Reply #12 on: 14 April, 2008, 05:21:15 pm »
A hot towel or flannel over the muscle - easier than taking a shower every 20 minutes
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #13 on: 14 April, 2008, 05:33:52 pm »
You are going to need to be patient! These things take their own time. I hope it clears up in 3 days but if you have strained/pulled the muscle it could easily be longer.