Linked Events

• York Rally: 21 June, 2019 - 24 June, 2019

Author Topic: York Rally 22-23 June 2019  (Read 9920 times)

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
Re: York Rally 22-23 June 2019
« Reply #25 on: 10 June, 2019, 07:40:25 pm »
It's a brick paved road, laid in an area with a very high water table and around 8 buses an hour running along it! I'm amazed that it has lasted this long, to be honest.

Surely the whole point in such a surface, apart from sending a subtle message to car drivers, is that it can be lifted and re-laid when the ground shifts without having to wastefully replace all the material.  I believe those clever cloggies have a special machine for doing it.

Of course, this is BRITAIN, and proper maintenance is unpatriotic, or something.

Maintenance? What's that? I don't think that part of the road has been touched since it was laid roughly 10 years ago! They'd have to deal with York's (in)famous ASBO Geese to get to it!

The bit further down, which is single track, so has buses going both ways in the same wheel tracks, was replaced with tarmac a couple of years ago. By that point, the wheel tracks had subsided by so much you could get pedal strike on the non-subsided centre of the road! Kids from the cycling club referred to it as "The Arenberg Trench" (see Paris - Roubaix passim).
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 10 June, 2019, 07:43:28 pm »
Ah yes, you can't beat a bit of pavé on a low-racer.   :hand:  :sick:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #27 on: 10 June, 2019, 07:53:42 pm »
My employer often uses block paving for port pavements, supporting 100t axle load reachstackers and hugely channelised traffic (equivalent to dozens of HGVs an hour). Designed and constructed properly and with a smidgeon of maintenance, block paving will perform well through its 20 year design life. Eight buses an hour isn't that tough to design for.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #28 on: 10 June, 2019, 07:57:03 pm »
My employer often uses block paving for port pavements, supporting 100t axle load reachstackers and hugely channelised traffic (equivalent to dozens of HGVs an hour). Designed and constructed properly and with a smidgeon of maintenance, block paving will perform well through its 20 year design life.

That's the thing, I'm pretty sure it wasn't designed and constructed properly. The first problems started within a couple of years of opening! Build cheap, build twice - to paraphrase the old saying!

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #29 on: 11 June, 2019, 10:23:43 am »

I think there is a diversion round it, I shall try to remember to go in that way tomorrow and check.

What is left of my memory remembered to go that way on the way to work today (take that Gabapentin!! ) - the busway is indeed blocked off with some cones and barriers, but in true University of York fashion - nay, tradition - there is no actual signed diversion. From that point, just keep heading East on the vaguely yellow tarmac "Campus Cycleway" and take the 45° fork to the right. There is a building directly in front of you, go round that building (The Ron Cooke Hub) and head for the bus stops on the other side of it. This will drop you back on to the busway, with the circuit and velodrome in the distance.

Of course, the busway could be fixed by then...

...and we will have developed porcine aviation!!

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #30 on: 12 June, 2019, 02:34:19 pm »
Going by train again this year as I'm not hiring a car just so I can bring the velomobile.

Since my P-38 is currently broken, change of plan: I'll join you on the lightweight pitches at the racecourse.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 19 June, 2019, 12:05:11 pm »
In other news, it looks like I might have finally used up the rain.  Forecast looks suspiciously lacking in wind, too...

« Reply #32 on: 19 June, 2019, 07:42:25 pm »
I am half  considering riding to London and folding the trice into a bike bag and coming up by train  . I'm not sure how practical it is though  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 19 June, 2019, 08:41:21 pm »
Are Grand Central trains still a thing?  They're supposedly quite bike friendly... Perhaps a Yokshire correspondent can advise?

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #34 on: 19 June, 2019, 09:20:06 pm »
Yup, Grand Central are still very much a going concern. They have got rid of their HSTs (to East Midlands Trains) and are currently using class 180 "Adelante" trains - which appear to be somewhat more reliable than their classmates at Hull Trains.

This link takes you to their bike & large luggage policy:

https://www.grandcentralrail.com/travelling-with-gc/on-board/cyclists-luggage/

Sorry about the long URL, but I'm on my phone!
There's probably a link to seating plans and ticket sales somewhere on there as well.

« Reply #35 on: 19 June, 2019, 10:04:10 pm »
Many thanks  Kim and yorkie. That's very useful  :)

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #36 on: 19 June, 2019, 10:17:22 pm »
No problem! Should have added a disclaimer that other train operators are available, etc. 

Up to a couple of days ago, I would have added that getting Hull Trains to Selby and riding the last 14 miles to York was another option. Sadly, given that Hull Trains currently have 0 (yes, zero!!) working class 180s out of 4 and only one cobbled together HST to cover 3 diagrams, I would advise against trying to travel with them for the foreseeable future!

« Reply #37 on: 20 June, 2019, 04:16:32 pm »
I have now got orange digital cardboard and will ride into London in the morning. I hope to ride back to slough after the rally  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 21 June, 2019, 02:28:42 pm »
I've successfully crammed myself, an unwieldy bike and too much luggage onto one of CrossCountry's finest...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #39 on: 21 June, 2019, 04:40:29 pm »
I have finished work and am sitting on an actual chair in my house (about half way bwtween the rally site and the rushing-around-in-circles location) with an actual kettle nearby ready to refill my coffee cup when necessary.

I might nip down to say hello later though :)

« Reply #40 on: 21 June, 2019, 06:20:52 pm »
Forecast looks good.   Hope you all have a wonderful time.  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #41 on: 21 June, 2019, 08:46:33 pm »
Hmmmm! I will make it one day  :facepalm:, have fun all those that made it!

« Reply #42 on: 21 June, 2019, 09:38:32 pm »
Dealing with domestic issues here. Enjoy!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #43 on: 23 June, 2019, 07:22:17 am »
Just contemplating finding some breakfast after watching a couple of balloons launching early on. All good fun out on the Knavesmere.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #44 on: 23 June, 2019, 09:42:38 am »
It's been a lovely rally so far. We're camping in the pointy yellow/Orange tent in the lightweight section.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #45 on: 23 June, 2019, 04:51:01 pm »
Finished the BHPC rushing about.  My lungs hate me.  Deano and Karla appeared to cheer me on for different bits, and may have somewhat different impressions of my racing performance as a result...

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #46 on: 23 June, 2019, 05:18:18 pm »
Finished the BHPC rushing about.  My lungs hate me.  Deano and Karla appeared to cheer me on for different bits, and may have somewhat different impressions of my racing performance as a result...
I didn't see Deano, but I did see Karla at York Sport. It was also nice to meet you fleetingly, hope the flying lap on the 2-up 4-wheel contraptionamajig didn't harm your BHPC efforts!  ;)
I'm not sure, but I may have seen cycleman at York Sport as well - came along on the ride to the velodrome, on an elec-assist Trice?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #47 on: 23 June, 2019, 06:45:01 pm »
Probably not cycleman, his trike was hors de combat this morning due to a combination of BB problems and total failure of the electric assist system.

« Reply #48 on: 23 June, 2019, 07:48:26 pm »
Great weekend.  Good weather, caught up with lots of cycling friends, did the retro ride on my 1964 Moulton.  Drank beer, ate a very nice diavalo pizza from the van in the arena.  Looked at various interesting bikes at the veteran bike club, trike association, and trade show.  Bought a few bargains including a lovely campag triple chainset for the recumbent. And a healthy lunch today (chips with curry sauce) before heading home.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #49 on: 23 June, 2019, 07:57:53 pm »
Great weekend, good to see people again that we only usually see at York.
Went up this time with no bikes as weather and car cycle rack issues meant not taking one camping over the previous week.
Came home with one though after buying an immaculate 1981 Dawes Shadow for the grand price of £25  :o
Need to find room in the shed now!  ;D