« Reply #75 on: 08 May, 2020, 04:57:55 pm »
Hah! We get them both.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: VE 75
« Reply #76 on: 08 May, 2020, 05:02:47 pm »
To be fair, it was decided (or announced) to move the bank holiday back in June las year - so not exactly something for the pandemic.
It is simpler than it looks.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #77 on: 08 May, 2020, 05:18:05 pm »
Mike Harding, whom I follow on Facebook, said this morning that his mother wasn’t one for celebrating VE Day as she reckoned that a German Widow was every bit the same as a British Widow.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #78 on: 08 May, 2020, 06:15:54 pm »
Friday is bin day, so I checked the council website last night to see if it had been rescheduled. It said our next bins were today. I didn't quite trust it but put them out anyway and, yes, they were collected. No holiday for the bin men.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #79 on: 08 May, 2020, 06:18:28 pm »
Reflect on this. VE day happened near the end of a war in the middle of last century.

Not for a moment belittling the dead and the suffering. But lets be clear - this happened last century.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #80 on: 08 May, 2020, 06:23:45 pm »
Jaded, I never said this holiday date change was a distraction from the virus. This government relies on distractions from everything it actually does to maintain its support base.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #81 on: 08 May, 2020, 06:47:48 pm »
Last year on my way through I visited the place in Reims where the surrender was signd (on the 7th May 1945). Fittingly it's now an international school.

For the sake of accuracy check mate was on 

4 May 1945 1830 British Double Summer Time at Lüneburg Heath, south of Hamburg, Field Marshal Sir Bernard Law Montgomery accepted the unconditional surrender of the German forces in the Netherlands, northwest Germany including all islands, in Denmark and all naval ships in those areas. The surrender preceded the end of World War II in Europe and was signed in a carpeted tent at Montgomery's headquarters on the Timeloberg hill at Wendisch Evern.

I suspect it's a technicality thing, he was the number 2 pecking order and wasn't taking the surrender of all the German forces.

Thank god it did end though. Now if only we could stay a part of the Europe that resulted from it.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #82 on: 08 May, 2020, 07:52:39 pm »
Mike Harding, whom I follow on Facebook, said this morning that his mother wasn’t one for celebrating VE Day as she reckoned that a German Widow was every bit the same as a British Widow.
Mike Harding is far too sensible for the current world.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #83 on: 08 May, 2020, 09:00:09 pm »
For the last 45 years, I've worked with people from all the countries that were at war in 1939-45. We've spent a huge amount of effort to cast aside the differences that made that war more likely, and - at least at a parochial level - we have succeeded.

Among my first jobs was working for NAAFI in Germany in the early 1970s. At the time, German citizens would still apologise to other NATO nationalities, in otherwise quite normal social interactions, for what 'they' inflicted on us during WW2. I couldn't accept that then, and I'm certainly not going to accept it now. As in the Cold War, we fought a regime and its ideology, not a nation. I will not subscribe to a celebration of the events of 1939-45 that crows about the defeat of that nation (or 'Victory Over Europe' as it was termed in some advertising). The few remaining veterans of that war that I know have no interest in celebrating  any military victory, simply a peace that - very fortunately - was won by an alliance that essentially had freedom as its watchword. And, despite the suspicions of some here, still does. Imperfectly, perhaps.

I want to be able to look my German friends in the eye today and be able to celebrate with them that peace and freedom, not some football-fan-stylee 'two world wars and one world cup' event that seems to be so much of the driver today.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #84 on: 08 May, 2020, 09:09:50 pm »

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #86 on: 08 May, 2020, 10:21:17 pm »
Listening to vox pop on R4 news, I keep hearing "celebrating the war".
FFS
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #87 on: 08 May, 2020, 11:09:49 pm »
Nearly everything about today is what is wrong with the British. My in-laws were  celebrating, although i can almost forgive them that given that they met during the war when m-in-l was evacuated to the town f-in-l lived. But the rest. Union flags with everything. There was even a street party here this afternoon. Hopefully it’ll all just fade away now.
I feel a grumpy bastard for saying this but the jingoism really grates in my mind against the remembrance thing and seems to be against most of what they all fought for. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #88 on: 08 May, 2020, 11:47:55 pm »
I had a bit of a ride round today. Saw lots of street parties. Didnt see anybody over 70.

I'm not really sure what this VE day is actually about. Remembering the dead? Remembering the living? Celebrating stuffing it to the Hun?

Or is it fake remembrance to create and coalesce a national myth...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #89 on: 09 May, 2020, 12:40:46 am »
Jaded, I never said this holiday date change was a distraction from the virus. This government relies on distractions from everything it actually does to maintain its support base.

I wasn’t aware that I had directed my response at anyone in particular.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #90 on: 09 May, 2020, 12:25:07 pm »
I had a bit of a ride round today. Saw lots of street parties. Didnt see anybody over 70.

Well I saw an over 70 outside. She was, as she often is this time of year, on the roof of her chalet bungalow painting the cladding of the upper room. She also had 4 union flags on the property. No street party though, thank goodness.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #91 on: 09 May, 2020, 01:29:08 pm »
From 4pm yesterday, nearly every house around here (~15+) had people outside on lawns with various beverages of choice... Some bunting/flags were evident.  We went outside and were social-ly distant; I even had tea in a union jack mug - but can't really say I was celebrating anything...  Had a few long range chats, and retreated after an hour or so.  Some stayed out until 9-10pm, and the wine, prosecco, beer probably helped with them singing 'we'll meet again' with some gusto...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #92 on: 09 May, 2020, 03:57:03 pm »
A neighbour was playing 1940's stuff behind us for a while.  Apparently you used to get nightingales singing in Berkeley Square once but I doubt if bluebirds were ever over Dover.   
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #93 on: 09 May, 2020, 04:46:19 pm »
FFS
It's accurate, even though it's probably not what they mean, if you think about Commando comics and almost every war film ever made. Though the word "the" might be superfluous.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #94 on: 09 May, 2020, 09:35:57 pm »
FFS
It's accurate, even though it's probably not what they mean, if you think about Commando comics and almost every war film ever made. Though the word "the" might be superfluous.

I do remember commando comics at school.  We called them 'trash' mags and I can't remember them being highly regarded.  In fact we didn't take much interest in 'the war' or ask one another what their parents did 'in the war'. 

Near us we had a kind of veterans retirement home.  They used to sit outside facing the quiet road we used to walk along. I always remember one of them who had a clean handkerchief in front of him on a table and all he did was fold it up and then unfold it, over and over again. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Davef

« Reply #95 on: 09 May, 2020, 09:38:01 pm »
My dad asked to borrow my union flag. He was 12 when the war ended and life had been a bit shit for a fair few years. VE Day was celebrating the war was (mainly) over and that things would get better. I was surprised at his enthusiasm as he is very dismissive of the whole Poppy Day thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris S

« Reply #96 on: 09 May, 2020, 09:50:38 pm »
Or is it fake remembrance to create and coalesce a national myth...

Something invented by the red tops, I reckon.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #97 on: 09 May, 2020, 10:11:38 pm »
Fortunately no VE shite here, it's largely abandoned studentville and a few non-student randoms.

For completeness I should mention the large linear bunting-fest round the corner on $posh_road, just outside barakta's current walking range.

I was out for a bike ride yesterday, and passed a great deal of bunting and occasional street parties.  My general impression was that most were little clusters of middle class people who know their neighbours using it as excuse to do something less dull than REMAIN INDOORS, and were a celebration of that special kind of not-even-ironic middle-English bunting-and-teacakes-ness that normally only gets organised for sporting events and royal weddings.  Others were more specifically VE-day-themed, with Spitfires and Vera Lynn and such.  I noticed a few people old enough to remember the war in attendance.  And some were just neighbours having a party in their front gardens, without any real theme or decorations - I got the distinct impression that some were celebrating the impending end of the lockdown.   :-\

There seemed to be a wide variation in how central the union jack was to the decorations.  Sometimes it was just a bit of bunting, often amongst more home-made decorations (particularly in the posher areas, where rainbows were also a central theme).  Others had made a huge feature of them, in a way that's hard not to interpret as nationalistic.

Bonus points to the couple of houses whose decorations included a) French and  b) Polish flags.
Nil points for upside-down union jacks (several) and England flags left over from the last big sportsball event.

(There was also a house with a creepy scarecrow of a nurse in the front garden.  The Uncanny Valley supports our NHS heroes, or something.)

« Reply #98 on: 09 May, 2020, 10:20:38 pm »
In deepest Bermondsey today I saw one Union Jack. You would have thought this a hearlland of bunting and flags.

« Reply #99 on: 09 May, 2020, 10:32:08 pm »
The people over the road have some framed pictures in their window. At first floor level, and my eyesight isn't good enough to make out the details but I think formal pictures. I can completely see that pride in what they (or family) did - as well as the peace won, even if I don't want to display it that way.

I still find the party atmosphere a bit weird so far from the event though.