Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 333279 times)

Re: Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Reply #1600 on: 02 November, 2019, 09:13:07 am »
Unbelievable on Netflix is rather good. As is the first two episodes of Giri/Haji on iPlayer

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1601 on: 02 November, 2019, 09:58:42 am »
His Dark Materials starts on Her Majesty's British Broadcasting Corporation this evening.

I managed 2.5 of the books, have downloads of the radio version and was a bit disappointed by the film "The Golden Compass".
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1602 on: 02 November, 2019, 12:58:32 pm »
Er, it's not until tomorrow.  BBC 1, 20:00.  I am under orders to watch it for Miss von Brandenburg who says she'll only watch it "if it's as good as The Crow Road".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1603 on: 02 November, 2019, 01:15:59 pm »
Er, it's not until tomorrow.  BBC 1, 20:00.  I am under orders to watch it for Miss von Brandenburg who says she'll only watch it "if it's as good as The Crow Road".
I was close. I shall get my computer to watch it, as I am Otherwise Engaged.

« Reply #1604 on: 02 November, 2019, 01:21:50 pm »
Coming soon (BBC 1 Monday 22.35) series 2 of The Young Offenders. Actually that's a repeat of the last episode of the first series. It's actually on BBC3 - which is online only now  ::-)  Apart from that, I was right!!

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1605 on: 03 November, 2019, 06:40:24 pm »
I was close. I shall get my computer to watch it, as I am Otherwise Engaged.
I think Miss vB may have an hour to fill with something else, but we'll see!

Interesting factoids about this series:
- Mr Pullman was heavily involved, and
- They have used puppeteers (á la Warhorse on stage I think) instead of CGI for lots of stuffs.
- It's got Ruth Wilson in. I know you knew that, but it's worth mentioning :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1606 on: 04 November, 2019, 06:06:44 pm »
Jack Ryan Season 2 on Prime. Looks like they fired the script writer. OTOH, it has at least 12 Executive Producers.

« Reply #1607 on: 05 November, 2019, 10:06:42 am »

- They have used puppeteers (á la Warhorse on stage I think) instead of CGI for lots of stuffs.

I think the puppets were for rehearsals, the final product uses CGI daemons.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1608 on: 05 November, 2019, 12:31:03 pm »
The first time Ms Wilson appeared on screen it was impossible to imagine how any casting director had thought Nicole Kidman would make a good Mrs Coulter.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #1609 on: 06 November, 2019, 12:00:58 pm »
Tuesday November 5th, 21:00, BBC4: Rich Hall's Red Menace.  The gravel-voiced one examines the relationship between the West and the Soviet Union.

As part of the same season, this was excellent the night before:

A haunting film about Britain and the nuclear age, from the first bomb tests to our potentially futile preparations for attack during the Cold War. Framed by Britain's mission to build the bomb, A British Guide to the End of the World uses extraordinary unseen archive and exclusive testimonies from people directly involved in our nuclear story, from conscripted soldiers attending the early nuclear tests in the South Pacific to servicemen, volunteers and civil servants involved in the planning of how we might have managed in the event of a nuclear catastrophe.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000b1gn
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1610 on: 09 November, 2019, 09:13:40 pm »
Just watched the first Dark Materials episode.
I quite liked it.

I had read the first of the books to the kids as bed-time stories back in the day, and I have read the other books too.
I found the film of the Golden Compass a bit meh.

But I think that with mini-series format, they have more time to play with, and can explore the complexities of the story a bit more. Less restrictive than a 2-hour movie format where you have to focus on a few big-bang scenes.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1611 on: 09 November, 2019, 09:20:47 pm »
We just watched that too.
I was finding the 'big dramatic film score' musak a bit irritating at first but it got better.
The fillum *was* awful.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1612 on: 11 November, 2019, 01:43:38 am »
Oh dear.  Only on episide 2 and HDM has gone off-piste ???

« Reply #1613 on: 11 November, 2019, 01:18:30 pm »
Brittania - Sky and Amazon Prime

I have watched the first three episodes and am enjoying this. It very high budget for a British production of this kind and it's slightly bonkers.
Mackenzie Crook is obviously enjoying hamming it up as Veran the head druid immensely. Zoë Wanamaker as the queen of the Regni with a testicularly challenged son is brilliant as well.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1614 on: 11 November, 2019, 02:01:26 pm »
For those who like their Midsomer murders with an antipodean flavour, The Brokenwood Mysteries return to the
 freeview Drama channel on the 18th.  We watch on catch-up ok UK TV player (there are I think 5 previous series).

And we started series 2 of Killing Eve last night - bonkers!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1615 on: 11 November, 2019, 07:23:47 pm »
Oh dear.  Only on episide 2 and HDM has gone off-piste ???
Oh dear. If this is related to them (i.e. Mr Pullman) deviating from the book, our friendship may be in unexpected jeopardy.  :demon:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #1616 on: 14 November, 2019, 03:15:52 pm »
In case not noticed elsewhere on the forum, Chris Boardman is one of the panellists on the Nigel Farage Show BBC Question Time tonight.

As the producers reportedly plant questions from the audience, what's the betting we get a question about compulsory helmets, followed by the usual gamomn-esque rants about pavements, red lights, lycra, etc.? :facepalm:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1617 on: 14 November, 2019, 03:18:55 pm »
In case not noticed elsewhere on the forum, Chris Boardman is one of the panellists on the Nigel Farage Show BBC Question Time tonight.

As the producers reportedly plant questions from the audience, what's the betting we get a question about compulsory helmets, followed by the usual gamomn-esque rants about pavements, red lights, lycra, etc.? :facepalm:

He'd be prepared for those with his usual brand of common sense, but that doesn't stop Farage the rest of the panel siding with the gammons for a few BloodyCyclists soundbites that play well to, well, most people.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #1618 on: 17 November, 2019, 09:18:56 pm »
It's online, not on TV, and I don't even like Star Wars but The Mandalorian is really good so far. Really recommend it, you don't even need to have seen star wars movies.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1619 on: 20 November, 2019, 09:05:33 pm »
Ronin. Shooters, car chases, De Niro. ITV4 now.

« Reply #1620 on: 20 November, 2019, 09:21:40 pm »
Just seen the Beebs take on Wo the Worlds. Pretty good.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1621 on: 22 November, 2019, 10:31:51 pm »
It's online, not on TV, and I don't even like Star Wars but The Mandalorian is really good so far. Really recommend it, you don't even need to have seen star wars movies.

It "leans" heavily on Lone Wolf and & Cub. I'm just waiting for him to see if Baby Yoda will choose the thermal detonator or the ball.

« Reply #1622 on: 24 November, 2019, 03:04:00 pm »
Unbelievable on Netflix is rather good. As is the first two episodes of Giri/Haji on iPlayer
Giri/Haji seconded.  Mrs Legs has been away for the past couple of nights so I've watched the first two episodes.  Problem is, she's back tonight, so do I let her catch up or just try to finish it off without her?

Perhaps I could rewatch with her but not let on, and uncannily predict all the plot twists?!?

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1623 on: 24 November, 2019, 04:48:22 pm »
Giri/Haji thirded. I'm sticking with the broadcasts. Amid strong competition (the past few weeks have been rather excellent for TV drama) this is the best thing on the box. Extraordinarily good.

May I commend to the forum, from a most unexpected source- Channel 5- Cold Call? A financial scam drama that absolutely refuses to succumb to predictable turns or 'happy ever after'. Could have been trite, anything but. Just watching the last part.

Oh, and Guilt. Definitely Guilt. The second best thing on the box. Hoping for a second series…

« Reply #1624 on: 24 November, 2019, 05:48:47 pm »
Definitely Guilt seconded.  The reason I started Giri/Haji was because I knew I would get told off if I pressed on with Guilt!