Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 126582 times)

Edd

Maybe this will et a thread of its own at some stage, but it appears that Wales have beaten Hungary 2 - 0 in fupbol and have qualified for the European Championships.

Pity that they won't be able to play because of Brexit. ;)
We'll still be part of UEFA. The boundaries are somewhat fuzzy, Israel are also a member! :)

I know. Tongue in cheek. But I wonder how "Football Lads for Democracy" (aka Twattish Thugs) see this?
They wouldn't want to lose their opportunity to go abroad, get drunk and throw chairs around surely?

Just wait till they need a visa to travel to watch a rugby match in France or Italy ...

Particularly if the drunken loutish behaviour at a football match results in record which prevents approval.  :demon:

Yes, and european club matches, next games in three weeks, tickets go on sale in a week, visa takes four...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Isn't there a proposal for some scheme akin to an ESTA for post-Brexit BRITONS to travel to Europe?  I'm sure I remember the Daily Fail frothing at the mouth over it: How very dare those arrogant FOREIGNS charge us to visit their benighted countries, probably with a gratuitous reference to D-Day thrown in.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I don't follow football especially - not to watch it at any rate - but I do take some interest in the results.

I thought today's match between Newcastle and Man City was noteworthy. If you don't want to know the result, don't click!

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I'd call it a good result for Liverpool.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
I understand that the FA were investigating the possibility of playing an England game at Anfield. One of their conditions was that Sun journalists would be at the game. Liverpool FC told them where to go.

Utter respect!

https://www.football365.com/news/liverpool-refuse-to-reconsider-sun-ban-to-host-england-game

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/nov/25/wada-recommend-four-year-ban-russia-athletics?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTExMjY%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

Four year ban imposed for trying to be a smart Aleksey with the anti-doping lab database.

https://apnews.com/1c4e9860a411abff9db61c58eeef947c?utm_medium=AP&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

Cue the inevitable chorus from the bots and poleznyy idioty:"Is of fake news! Is not of Boris and Natasha, but is workings of Ukraine and NATO sodomite moose and squirrel snipers!"
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Wow. Can't say I'm at all surprised, but this is still pretty huge  ::-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Magic tricks don't work so well in slow-motion replay.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Last night (well early morning for the majority of you), I went to a hockey match. A match I had waited about 25 years to see. I went, with my buddy Doug, to watch the Chicago Blackhawks play. It was a brilliant experience, made all the better by the Hawks winning. Doug wasn't too happy, though, as he is an Avalanche fan....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2020/jan/02/liverpool-v-sheffield-united-premier-league-live

Another of those handy colour charts showing match statistics in which both teams are shown in red...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2020/jan/02/liverpool-v-sheffield-united-premier-league-live

Another of those handy colour charts showing match statistics in which both teams are shown in red...

At least they're different shades of red.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph

At least they're different shades of red.

Could you see that? Or did you get some digital assistance?

Only one colour visible to me. At least they labeled it. Unlabeled pie charts are the work of satan.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Ben T

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51129653 kids heading football to be banned in scotland... made me wonder if there is a pitch that is on the border, are they allowed to head it while in the england half ... :P

Also makes me wonder why they are planning on letting kids execute a skill without getting any training or practise on it.
They should just play futsal and be done.

Also makes me wonder why they are planning on letting kids execute a skill without getting any training or practise on it.

From the Alan Shearer BBC documentary "Dementia, Football and me" it was specifically the heading in training that was the major contributory factor. Footballers would head the ball 150+ times each training session, with multiple training sessions per week, but only executed a few headers in an actual game.

Sure, if you don't practice it you may not be as good at it come the actual game, but there's too much practice of it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

I'm not saying they shouldn't ban it in training. Just that they should ban it in games too, because it is a fundamentally bad idea to get someone to try to execute a skill in a game at full throttle when you can't build up to it in a safe environment. The first time you try to head a ball (in your life) might be when the goalie has kicked it half the length of the pitch and it's dropping towards you out of the clouds.
Imagine if someone said that tackling in rugbi causes head injuries (it does) - let's ban it from training and only allow it in games. Also, bluntly, if it's allowed in games, and it conveys a competitive advantage, kids (and their parents) are going to be practising it at home with no understanding of proper technique.

As I said, futsal teaches everything you need to play football except for heading - just play futsal in training and games.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
Top-level footballers look incredibly young. No doubt that some of this is down to me becoming increasingly old.

I have just been watching highlights of Chelsea v Arsenal. They all looked like teenagers. I couldn't see any equivalent of "Chopper" Harris, David Webb, Tony Adams or Charlie George. All mere striplings by comparison.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
https://twitter.com/matthewchampion/status/1221557555652153344?s=20

I used to follow NBA back in Jordan's days, but have heard about Kobe. RIP Kobe

Just how can BBC run the wrong video when his name is on the shirt ... Clearly don't care about factual news anymore.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Dangerous things, helichopters.  You'll only get me in one if it's an air ambulance.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime