Author Topic: Latest photoshop  (Read 2763 times)

Latest photoshop
« on: 31 October, 2022, 09:34:51 pm »
You may have heard that the new version of Photoshop has introduced some AI filters. Turns out, they are seriously fun, and may well be the catalyst to get me to upgrade this creaky old computer.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Latest photoshop
« Reply #1 on: 01 November, 2022, 07:52:28 am »
Crikey. Last time I tried colourizing a photo it took bloody ages and I gave up before tackling the forest background.

On my machine Photoshop CC lost the ability to talk to its mother ship some time last year so I junked it and fell back on CS4. Hell of a lot faster but somewhat limited.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2 on: 01 November, 2022, 09:53:11 am »
Much as it sticks in my throat, I signed up to the Adobe £100/year sub as I use their software, would be likely to upgrade every 4 years and after all, that's their price. Stuff like this makes me at least feel I'm getting value. Unfortunately one of the little perks - using their cloud service to make a pdf editable very accurately - is being removed :(

All the colourisation was done with a couple of clicks - improving contrast and brightness with a quick tweak of the curve before clicking the button. The photo repair tool also has a useful half tone screen setting that does an interesting job on newspaper pictures, too. Some of the tools are noticeably slow on my 2014 i5 4 core/3.55Ghz  32Gb machine but still fast enough to be functional for most things I want to do.

« Reply #3 on: 01 November, 2022, 10:00:44 am »

The colours in this one seem all wrong. Especially the classic 60s/70s windbreak!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2022, 10:33:29 am »
Much as it sticks in my throat, I signed up to the Adobe £100/year sub as I use their software, would be likely to upgrade every 4 years and after all, that's their price. Stuff like this makes me at least feel I'm getting value. Unfortunately one of the little perks - using their cloud service to make a pdf editable very accurately - is being removed :(

I was paying something like 12€/month for CC, but first their 2020 update didn't work on my ancient box so I had to stay with 2019 and then, as I said, it stopped being able to call home.

All the colourisation was done with a couple of clicks - improving contrast and brightness with a quick tweak of the curve before clicking the button. The photo repair tool also has a useful half tone screen setting that does an interesting job on newspaper pictures, too. Some of the tools are noticeably slow on my 2014 i5 4 core/3.55Ghz  32Gb machine but still fast enough to be functional for most things I want to do.

I've got 8Gb of RAM and only 2 cores, so it took a geological epoch just to load. I keep meaning to upgrade but something else more urgent always crops up.  I don't have the "professional use" excuse any more.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 01 November, 2022, 10:37:50 am »

The colours in this one seem all wrong. Especially the classic 60s/70s windbreak!
They're not all wrong, the windbreak is the wrong-est thing, and, knowing my FiL it actually may well have been that faded! Hair colour, sand is good (Reckon that's AI-based), we think the purple is accurate too, but that may not be the case. Bucket looks a bit suspicious, but overall I like the image. There's actually quite a bit to learn aside from the single click - changing brightness and contrast has marked impact on the colour output, getting that right helps the magic