Linked Events

• WARTY: 21 February, 2009

Author Topic: Announcing the WARTY.  (Read 83000 times)

Re: Announcing the WARTY.
« Reply #275 on: 13 January, 2009, 11:40:01 am »
No cats were hurt in making this film

...but mine was annoyed that I wasn't around to pander to his every need for twelve hours. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #276 on: 13 January, 2009, 11:55:24 am »
That's the sort of stuff that, in 50 years time and assuming that people have survived that long, will prompt kids to say "Did we really have winters as cold as that in Essex, Daddy?"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #277 on: 13 January, 2009, 12:44:00 pm »
Managed to sneakily watch it with the sound down, that's fantastic. I love how I have almost no skin on show as I bring up the rear in the first shot of us cycling along, what with my two buffs and cycling glasses. Just as well really, I suspect I had a grim face at that particular point!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #278 on: 13 January, 2009, 01:58:00 pm »
We didn't give you a try out on the tandem! Not the day for it, really. Must try soon.

« Reply #279 on: 13 January, 2009, 02:31:54 pm »
We didn't give you a try out on the tandem! Not the day for it, really. Must try soon.

Come the next WARTY, NSTN can become DNNOT (Definitely Not a Newbie On a Tandem).
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #280 on: 13 January, 2009, 02:51:19 pm »
I remembered, but I shared your view that it was not the day for it, brrr. Another time.

« Reply #281 on: 13 January, 2009, 04:28:22 pm »
I enjoyed the video, makes a change from silent images, and the stills were particularly good  ::-).
The video camera, was it just a compact digital with a video mode or a proper video camera?

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #282 on: 13 January, 2009, 10:16:02 pm »
Yes, the stills were good weren't they!

The camera's just a digital with video mode.  It's a Fuji M603, although it can record about 15 minutes at high res (or 1 hour low res) onto its 1GB microdrive.  It was hi tech stuff 5 years ago.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #283 on: 17 January, 2009, 06:28:14 pm »
Del and I gave the next WARTY a trial run today. We didn't go all the way to Wickford but we did cycle from Southend.

One of the concrete off-road bits has been repaired. There was a lovely big wheel-catching crack in it, but now it's new cement. The 11ses stop was very good as usual, and after that we had the wind behind us and we were hacking along at about 20 mph for quite a few miles. The Saxon Church was its usual solid self but some oiks had been in and had vandalised what may have been a nativity display. Then we had to try some pubs. The first, The Cricketers in Bradwell, was OK but we were a bit early for lunch and the landlord asked us to take our shoes off. The second, The Cap and Feathers, did some very fine beer but had no food - a change of management apparently and they haven't got the kitchens sorted out yet. The third, the Fox and Hounds, did good beer and excellent food. I had a chicken balti and it was the tastiest curry I've had for a long time. If we order in advance the landlord will ensure that we get our food promptly if we go there.

Having tried the Burnham pub last time we were there, we decided to press on back to Southend. I was really beginning to feel the distance around the 55 mile mark and the wind had changed so it was fairly unhelpful for the last 8 miles or so back to Southend. Less than half a mile form home, I filtered to the front of some lights and as soon as they changed took a right onto a shared ped / cycle path alongside the road. The driver of the front car clearly objected to my filtering (it didn't cost him any time) and as he overtook, he mounted the pavement in an attempt to scare / knock me off. He received a mouthful of choice language for his efforts.

We took a few photos.

cpjmathieson

« Reply #284 on: 17 January, 2009, 07:22:57 pm »
I hope you are going to report the driver Wowbagger!!! I take it you have the VRM in your pictures??

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #285 on: 17 January, 2009, 07:57:35 pm »
I hope you are going to report the driver Wowbagger!!! I take it you have the VRM in your pictures??

Sadly, it was dark, and so fleeting I couldn't tell you the make or colour of the car, much less the reg no. No point in reporting it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #286 on: 18 January, 2009, 12:31:47 pm »
Bicycle Path - St. Peter's at Bikely.com

This is yesterday's route from Southend. The real thing will be <50 miles, starting at Wickford and finishing at Burnham.

« Reply #287 on: 18 January, 2009, 12:48:58 pm »
can I register a mild grumble about starting and finishing in different places?  bit of a PITA for those who are driving...

see you there!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #288 on: 18 January, 2009, 01:06:44 pm »
can I register a mild grumble about starting and finishing in different places?  bit of a PITA for those who are driving...

see you there!

We have accounted for this. Del has agreed to lead back the hardies who want the extra miles from Burnham to Wickford; but there is also a direct rail link which takes not many minutes to take you and your bike back to the car should you wish it.

Mrs. Wow and I will be finishing at Burnham. The Burnham - Wickford stretch is best ridden quickly. It's not overly busy, but neither is it a quiet enough road for a conversation, and the chances are that the wind will be against you.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #289 on: 18 January, 2009, 01:12:10 pm »

This is yesterday's route from Southend. The real thing will be <50 miles, starting at Wickford and finishing at Burnham.

Is that the 21st Feb route? Not nearer Annie?  :(
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #290 on: 18 January, 2009, 01:12:34 pm »
Will the Burnham - Wallasea ferry be running on that day for people who want to head back to the Southend area?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #291 on: 18 January, 2009, 01:32:07 pm »

Is that the 21st Feb route? Not nearer Annie?  :(

Sadly, there are no trains between Shenfield and Colchester so our hand was forced. Annie has said she will drive to Wickford - it's just over an hour.

Will the Burnham - Wallasea ferry be running on that day for people who want to head back to the Southend area?

The ferry runs in the summer. Del and I discovered this at the end of September, waiting for a ferry on Sunday 28th (advertised previously as the last sailing date) only to find that a hand-written note was pinned up saying that they actually stopped on Sat. 27th.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #292 on: 18 January, 2009, 01:42:41 pm »
Shame I couldn't join you on the Annie Birthday ride - inevitably I was on the other side of the world, as I will be on 21 Feb also. I hope to be riding in 25c and wall-to-wall sunshine on that day, so I'll be thinking of you! ;D

Your 10th Jan cofffee stop in Halstead (Scenario's very dodgy bar & night club) is where I met my wife, and the Swan in Bures is a frequent haunt for us - we had dinner there two nights ago. Those roads are our home stamping ground, but how marvellous to see our local countryside in its icy finery. I know V was out on the bike that day, but I don't think you passed at any time - I'm sure she'd have mentioned a large group of mad cyclists proceeding on foot, wheel and arse to an accompaniment of manic, lewd laughter!

I hope we can join you on at least a couple of WARTYs this year.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #293 on: 09 February, 2009, 12:12:05 am »
The WARTY Roll of Honour has been placed in the OP.

« Reply #294 on: 09 February, 2009, 07:38:58 am »
I see FatBloke has been awarded an angry smilie,  >:(, for the Dec WARTY. Is this because he failed to be killed by Jurek?  ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #295 on: 09 February, 2009, 08:08:45 am »
No. It's his trade-mark. :thumbsup:

« Reply #296 on: 09 February, 2009, 08:13:31 am »
Does he have permission from Nutty?  :o

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #297 on: 09 February, 2009, 08:14:14 am »
Does he have permission from Nutty?  :o

They are identical twins. Didn't you know?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #298 on: 14 February, 2009, 08:11:53 pm »
I think we may well be coming along to the next WARTY :) :) :)
Getting there...

annie

« Reply #299 on: 14 February, 2009, 09:22:50 pm »
I think we may well be coming along to the next WARTY :) :) :)

Brilliant news. :)