Linked Events

• WARTY: 21 February, 2009

Author Topic: Announcing the WARTY.  (Read 83012 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Announcing the WARTY.
« Reply #400 on: 22 February, 2009, 06:56:41 pm »
I'd say almost certainly some wind turbines are sprouting there.

Did anyone notice the Whitstable wind turbines when we were out on the marshes and just before we turned west into the headwind towards Burnham?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #401 on: 22 February, 2009, 07:04:01 pm »
I'm also curious to know what is on the horizon in.  All I can make out is a serious of white blobs, which I imagine could be the base of a bridge, the road section being to thin to be visible?
Gunfleet sands wind farm is being built.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #402 on: 22 February, 2009, 07:07:21 pm »
I'm also curious to know what is on the horizon in this image (5M image, don't click unless you on ADSL or better).  All I can make out is a serious of white blobs
Seagulls.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #403 on: 22 February, 2009, 08:29:49 pm »
Great ride.  Marvellous company.  Shame we didn't get to say goodbye to the folks that caught the train.  Even if we'd known there was one coming, we probably would still have dawdled & waited for the Wows.  There were probably enough bikes on the earlier train, and we got comfortably on the next, after a brief stop at the pub. :)

I took my camera, but didn't get round to taking any photos.  Looks like others did the job splendidly :D
Getting there...

annie

« Reply #404 on: 22 February, 2009, 08:33:38 pm »
I am sorry I didn't get to say goodbye to you.  I feel very guilty about not stopping and hopping on the train.  I knew that it would take me around 1hr 45 mins to get home and I had to sort out a problem with a certain young man.  In hindsight I probably should have waited and caught the next train, sorry.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #405 on: 22 February, 2009, 08:37:28 pm »
Annie, you did the right thing. We saw the train coming in as we were crossing the tundra but arrived at the station 7 minutes after it had gone. Not catching the first one gave me the opportunity to drink some more beer with Reg whilst Butterfly, Clarion, TG and Mrs. Wow watched.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #406 on: 22 February, 2009, 08:41:51 pm »
Annie, it wouldn't have been a goodbye anyway, merely a temporary 'au revoir'.  I'm sure we will all pick up where we left off when we get together again soon :-*
Getting there...

annie

« Reply #407 on: 22 February, 2009, 08:53:22 pm »
Annie, it wouldn't have been a goodbye anyway, merely a temporary 'au revoir'.  I'm sure we will all pick up where we left off when we get together again soon :-*

Indeed.  Conversations of Robin Hood's Bay and beyond :-*

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #408 on: 22 February, 2009, 09:02:19 pm »

Robin Hood's Bay, 1/11/08.

annie

« Reply #409 on: 22 February, 2009, 09:04:02 pm »
I must do that ride.  I haven't been there for years.  It was one of my favourite places to visit as a child and have many happy and fond memories of holidays in that area. :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #410 on: 22 February, 2009, 10:00:20 pm »
RHB?

*sigh*
Getting there...

« Reply #411 on: 22 February, 2009, 10:19:04 pm »
I've uploaded the route from my Active 10 GPS to BikeHike here.

The I-gotU GPS stopped recording around the time I arrived at Wickford, the button must have gotten pressed by accident in my pocket.  Next time I'll disable it before I leave.

The BikeHike route has been reduced to around 1000 points, since the 20000 that I downloaded from the GPS was too much to upload (both Bikely and BikeHike barfed on it!)

I'm not sure about BikeHike, when you create a route, you are given an URL for it, but there seems to be no easy way to get that URL from the list of routes that you've saved (it shows an incomplete URL for the route on my list of routes).  The OS mapping bit has also stopped working, although I assume that's because the OS website will only serve a certain amount per day to a website before it limits the availability.

Route on BikeHike
Route on BikeRouteToaster
Route on Bikely
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #412 on: 24 February, 2009, 07:42:14 pm »
Here's a panorama taken from Tip Head (ie St Peter's Chapel) looking towards Clacton-on-Sea.

Click image for bigness

The colour across the image isn't terribly good, I'll have a look at improving it, but it can be fiddly with images like this, where even the slightest error is really obvious.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #413 on: 27 February, 2009, 12:51:08 pm »
I've just noticed what a nice pair of puppies NSTN had there.  ;D

When is one of these WARTies going to be further up East Angular and on a date I can make?
It is simpler than it looks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #414 on: 27 February, 2009, 12:56:18 pm »

You are a baaad man, and may need professional protection!

When is one of these WARTies going to be further up East Angular and on a date I can make and NSTN can't?

Fixed That For Your continuing health ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #415 on: 27 February, 2009, 01:13:11 pm »
I'm surprised it took this long to be honest...and that no one made that joke at the time (or they did, but out of my earshot, wisely!)  ::-)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #416 on: 27 February, 2009, 01:15:06 pm »
I'm over 100 miles away, so thought I'd be safe.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #417 on: 27 February, 2009, 01:17:26 pm »
I'm over 100 miles away, so thought I'd be safe.  ;D
You're only safe if you live down a dirt road. I'm not so I kept schtum!  ::-)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #418 on: 15 March, 2009, 08:13:48 pm »
You could run the April Friday Night Ride to the Smoke as a WARTY...Sarfend to Piccadilly Circus.  We need them from various points of the compass - I might run a hardman version from Swindon (80 miles) in summer as training for the Dun Run.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #419 on: 20 March, 2009, 06:37:33 am »

Yes and it was quite chilly too by the look of their noses.

*estimates 120 miles away*

H

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #420 on: 23 March, 2009, 05:38:24 pm »
WARTY leaderboard updated.

« Reply #421 on: 27 March, 2009, 09:43:47 pm »
Hi Wow, I've been having a look at this - what great fun .... I'm missing riding with people - in fact I'm missing riding and need incentives :-[.  What are the chances of organising a WARTY within an hour or so's drive of mid-Wales ........ I might be allowed out  :D

annie

« Reply #422 on: 28 March, 2009, 01:30:57 pm »
Hi Wow, I've been having a look at this - what great fun .... I'm missing riding with people - in fact I'm missing riding and need incentives :-[.  What are the chances of organising a WARTY within an hour or so's drive of mid-Wales ........ I might be allowed out  :D

There might be an opportunity later in the year.  We will have to get our thinking caps on for that one.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #423 on: 05 April, 2009, 10:40:22 am »
Leader board updated.

I didn't catch the names of three of our number from yesterday, one of whom managed to be stung by a bee in his lycra. :-X

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #424 on: 05 April, 2009, 11:32:37 am »
Burak
Jo
William

are the missing names Mr Wowbagger