Author Topic: Total Knee Replacement (TKR)  (Read 821 times)

Total Knee Replacement (TKR)
« on: 21 February, 2024, 08:48:12 pm »
Is there anymore long distance cycling after a knee replacement?
Does anyone have experience or knowledge of this, my right knee is bone to bone, but I feel fine on a bike, it is wear and tear from my work of over 40 years.
Regards

Re: Total Knee Replacement (TKR)
« Reply #1 on: 22 February, 2024, 05:43:26 am »
Plenty.
My friend Fifi who must be 70 if she’s a day, has had two hip replacements and a knee replacement and has cycled for 20 years throughout all these. She is currently off her bike as she’s waiting for the other knee replacement. Not sure what you mean by long distance but she is a stalwart of my cycling club and regularly leads day rides, or will once she’s back in action. 
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #2 on: 22 February, 2024, 08:53:52 am »
Is there anymore long distance cycling after a knee replacement?
Does anyone have experience or knowledge of this, my right knee is bone to bone, but I feel fine on a bike, it is wear and tear from my work of over 40 years.
Regards
Had my knee done January last year.
Ask me at the end of this year how long distance is going- it's taking a long time to get back to fitness, but I think that's more to do with the 3 or 4 years of rapid deterioration before the op than the 13 months since. My knee was bone on bone for a long long time- and that did eventually affect cycling. Not as much as it affected walking, but enough to stop me doing longer rides for a few years.
I'm assuming by long distance you mean audax?

« Reply #3 on: 22 February, 2024, 11:15:13 am »
it also depends on what sort of knee replacement, partial or total. partial i am told by colleagues become forgotten about more easily than the TKR but there is the risk of further deterioration and need for further surgery.

If you do decide to go ahead then treat the procedure like an audax.  Weight loss as much as possible prior to the event whilst maintaing protein intake.  Weighted loading as much as tolerable to maintain bone density, muscle strengthening, eg static quads for 3 months before hand.  Really Carb load for the few days before surgery which is a massive catabolic challenge, then eat sensibly afterwards.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #4 on: 22 February, 2024, 02:17:24 pm »
I've had a TKR in 2016, a partial in 2022 and before those I had my hip resurfaced in 2004.

Im not cycling much at the moment, due to other constraints, but have done a couple of 60 mile rides on the TKR with no issues.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #5 on: 23 February, 2024, 01:34:51 pm »
Here is some advice I tracked down in the Feb/Mar 2022 edition of Cycle.  It was written by Dr Kate Brodie

Question

I had a total knee replacement in my left leg ten weeks ago. I can pedal a cheap bicycle exercise machine with short cranks. On my Raleigh Pioneer, I cannot pedal at all. I am keen to get back cycling.

A good recovery from joint replacement takes effort. You should have some supervision from a physiotherapist who understands your goals. Around a month after surgery you can use a static bike on low resistance. Pedalling backwards initially will help you regain the full range of movement. Once you can flex the knee more than 90 degrees you should have a smooth rotation. You will then need to build up power in your muscles, which will have wasted during the time of inactivity. This needs gradually increased resistance, and it may be this is why you find your road bike hard to pedal. It's unlikely that your cranks are now too long. My hunch is that you haven’t built up enough strength yet and need to work harder indoors before you venture outside. You might try an e-bike or ride only level routes for a while. Keep at it! It will probably take several months.

Hope this helps!

« Reply #6 on: 25 February, 2024, 01:59:48 pm »
May I thank you all who have replied - looks like I can get back on the bike, but cut down on the annual distance.

Regards

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 25 February, 2024, 02:05:32 pm »
An infrequent member of my local cycling group has two replacement knees.  They're not rated for Audax distances, but are a huge improvement on the previous arrangement, particularly with regard to walking.

« Reply #8 on: 25 February, 2024, 04:17:00 pm »
This guy has given me hope, a good reference for anyone in a similar situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K5-msyCAb4