Author Topic: Hearing aid tips and advice.  (Read 14393 times)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: Hearing aid tips and advice.
« Reply #25 on: 06 May, 2015, 12:46:19 pm »

Hope that helps. Happy Deaf Awareness Week too! :)

Same and thanks for all the advice.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #26 on: 06 May, 2015, 01:02:37 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #27 on: 06 May, 2015, 06:15:36 pm »
Thanks also from me.

To add to his woes the father in law suffers from age related macular degeneration so has poor eyesight as well. The comment about him feeling isolated is even more relevant because of this.

I'd really like him to get the best possible help with his hearing and if that meant going private then I'd encourage him to do it. However from what has been said it is not as simple as that.

I'll encourage him to go back and get the fitting sorted and to speak to someone about what he can and can't hear. Hopefully some improvement can be made.

barakta

« Reply #28 on: 06 May, 2015, 06:54:59 pm »
Hearing aids are fiddly enough if you can see them.  It might be worth saying he'd give the NHS 2 chances to show some improvement and if no joy or not good enough joy to try private. IIRC they have to accept return within 30 days if that isn't substantially better.  Good luck!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #29 on: 21 May, 2015, 10:56:24 am »
UPDATE

I've had both hearing aids fitted this morning and it seems that they are working quite well. The fitter (not quite sure what they're called) had to turn them down a lot as I was complaining...as is my want.

They are Widex Clear Fusion, or something like that and are a nice titanium grey colour, which matches my PDW mudguards.  :thumbsup:

First experience.....the world's a very noisy place!

barakta

« Reply #30 on: 21 May, 2015, 01:06:59 pm »
Hurray.

It's not uncommon for people to start our with the aids programmed to be quieter than needed as part of an adjustment process and then tweaking them up and up over a few week period. Especially if you have been a fair bit hard of hearing for some time...

Hope getting used to them goes OK!  :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #31 on: 21 May, 2015, 01:54:08 pm »
A weird thing I have found is I haven't used my hearing aid now in about six months.

This seems to be related to my increasing familiarity with German and its different noise profile which means I am better able to understand what people say to me in German than in English (because of no issues with is/isn't, did/didn't etc which are the bane of my life in the English-speaking world). I think also the fact that German is quite a loud language helps me.

I also avoid noisy environments generally, but even in some of these environments (such as the choir practice room, which has catastrophic acoustics for hearing-impaired people) I seem to be improving and I no longer wear my aid there either. Perhaps my lipreading in German has improved too. It's hard to say, but although I carry my hearing aid around with me I expect if I went to put it in the battery would be flat (I carry lots of spare batteries too so that would not be a problem).
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #32 on: 21 May, 2015, 02:42:13 pm »
Thats interesting H, I've noticed that when I'm on the road Americans are far easier to hear than British or Danish riders.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #33 on: 29 June, 2023, 12:03:15 pm »
I'm not yet 49, so that's surely still mid-forties, but by golly do I feel old now. And typing this the keys are weirdly loud. This thread is eight years old -- is there any newer advice for the newly-NHSed?

In particular, I do sweat like billy-oh on the bike. Is this likely to be a problem, and if so how do I (a) mitigate it (b) resuscitate the aid if it gets wet?

And is setting it up to listen to the radio / podcasts while riding likely to be a bad idea?
Not especially helpful or mature

barakta

« Reply #35 on: 29 June, 2023, 04:57:16 pm »
I'm not yet 49, so that's surely still mid-forties, but by golly do I feel old now. And typing this the keys are weirdly loud. This thread is eight years old -- is there any newer advice for the newly-NHSed?

1 in 5 of the adult population have hearing loss above 25dB now - it used to be 1 in 7. The prevalence increases with age so you're just slightly unfortunate in having it, but lucky to have it picked up with plenty of time with a young(er) brain to acclimatise to hearing aids.

In particular, I do sweat like billy-oh on the bike. Is this likely to be a problem, and if so how do I (a) mitigate it (b) resuscitate the aid if it gets wet?

Ear Gears are your friend and you could do worse than buy from Connevans themselves who are a smallish company who I have a lot of time for. They'll keep your hearing aids from ping fuckit-ing off somewhere too.

You may also want to look into a Drying Box of some kind which will dry it out overnight and reduce moisture build up etc.

You can also click up the hierarchy on that page and see all sorts of (largely unnecessary) hearing aid care kits.

I haven't had ear moulds since 1987, but I always cleaned them regularly to reduce risk of ear infection and cos they felt horrid if not clean. You can probably clean modern domes in an ultrasonic cleaner and dry them out overnight etc, or have 2 domes on the go with one resting/drying to reduce mankiness.

And is setting it up to listen to the radio / podcasts while riding likely to be a bad idea?

I don't see why not - its very handy.

If you let me know what make and model your aids are I can point you at appropriate instructions and or gadgets that may or may not be needed.

Increasingly hearing aids will bluetooth directly to stuff IFF the right programme is selected, so you have to ask audiology on that, but they SHOULD be reviewing your hearing aids at 4-6 weeks for fit and sound quality etc and possibly even reviewing loudness as they tend to under-volume till people acclimatise.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #36 on: 30 June, 2023, 10:53:20 am »
1 in 5 of the adult population have hearing loss above 25dB now - it used to be 1 in 7. The prevalence increases with age so you're just slightly unfortunate in having it, but lucky to have it picked up with plenty of time with a young(er) brain to acclimatise to hearing aids.
Most of the damage was done eight or so years ago, probably by a coronavirus. They didn't offer me an aid at the time, but age or covid has worsened matters.

Day 1 is tiring. I took it out after a couple of hours and still collapsed by 5pm, and I'm not wearing it today as I have work to do. It will take a while.
Not especially helpful or mature

barakta

« Reply #37 on: 30 June, 2023, 06:17:26 pm »
It's always a fine line between audio overload and genuine need to get your brain to acclimatise.

As a life long deafie I kinda have to do this every time they change the hearing aids on me.... It is genuinely tiring and it is worth being as kind to yourself over the next few weeks as you can while you adjust. Some people find it easier to build up, maybe 2 hrs a day and work up rather than on and off.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #38 on: 15 July, 2023, 06:27:11 am »
Just waiting for my package to drop through the letterbox..l
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #39 on: 15 July, 2023, 09:36:33 am »
I gave up using my hearing aid while cycling - admittedly I hadn't come across Ear Gears - I tried a neoprene sleeve (possibly suggested here) which dealt with the wind noise, but was a problem with my glasses.
My hearing is sufficient that I can happily cycle without needing to use the aid, YMMV.

Mine is an older NHS type without Bluetooth but I've got an adapter which links to the T setting on the aid. It's a bit of a faff but it does allow me to listen to stuff on my phone when I don't want to hear Mrs M.

Audiology gave me some extra long 'retaining wires' (the bits of nylon that go in your outer ear) that I can cut to length - this keeps the inner ear part somewhat more secure when I'm exercising (or on my bike) - this was suggested by them when I told them I was a cyclist.

I've never had a problem with sweat or moisture, and I've never (yet!) had the thing fall off / out. Reliability has been excellent.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #40 on: 16 July, 2023, 03:40:13 pm »
Does anyone on this forum have experience of hearing loss and hearing aid use in the context of playing in musical ensembles? I see that Auntie Helen is involved with a choir, but I was wondering more specifically about orchestras, etc.

I was told a while ago that my hearing loss is bad enough that hearing aids would be useful, but I really wouldn't want hearing aids/tests that use a few frequencies an octave apart and interpolate/extrapolate what's going on in the other frequencies. It's one of the main things stopping me getting them (plus cost, faff, etc).

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #41 on: 16 July, 2023, 08:29:06 pm »
I never used my hearing aid in choir - the sound quality was too bad.

I don’t use it at all now I have moved to Germany and people speak louder and with better diction. It’s amazing the difference it makes having a language without the ‘is or isn’t’ or ‘does or doesn’t’ pairings.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #42 on: 25 July, 2023, 10:38:45 pm »

They have arrived and I have had A Great Excite setting them up.

The iPhone app that everything told me wouldn't work works v well.

I watched TV without Subtitles!!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #43 on: 25 July, 2023, 10:56:24 pm »

They have arrived and I have had A Great Excite setting them up.

The iPhone app that everything told me wouldn't work works v well.

I watched TV without Subtitles!!
:thumbsup:

Removed mine on the way to the barber's this morning.  Forgot to replace them and didn't really notice any difference.  Although Mrs B  did when I stopped responding to "mmphnph?"
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #44 on: 25 July, 2023, 11:20:43 pm »
 ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #45 on: 03 August, 2023, 08:42:20 am »
Well, a week and a half in. I didn’t wear them at the music festival  :D

I have done 10 hours in the car.
A full day with them in, and lots of shorter bursts.
Walking around brings up exciting things like birds tweeting.

The most challenging thing has been the milk fridge in our home Tesco. Loud clicks like industrial machinery.

The phone rings in them. I have made but not accepted a call. They seems as good as my bone conduction headphone things for that.

Can’t really decide on the brain getting used to them bit. Occasionally they seem to boost too much so I use the phone app to bring them down a notch or two. Only once after taking them out have I thought that everything is muddy and muffled.

« Reply #46 on: 03 August, 2023, 08:49:21 am »
The phone rings in them. I have made but not accepted a call.

I take all mobile calls through the HAs. I do still do the occasional check with the person at the other end to make sure I am not shouting at them - it's quite difficult to judge.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #47 on: 03 August, 2023, 01:26:51 pm »
Walking around brings up exciting things like birds tweeting.

There's a Postman Piers (who was profoundly deaf from birth and received a cochlear implant in his early teens) quote: "Lots of CI people think it's great to hear birdsong for the first time.  I say shoot the fuckers."

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #48 on: 07 August, 2023, 09:11:38 am »
A question for regular users - do you ever get dud batteries in a pack?

I performed my first ever battery change yesterday and within half an hour one of them had made the battery low noise and then turned off. Replacing it with another new one means I have two working aids again.

« Reply #49 on: 07 August, 2023, 03:38:28 pm »
I've been using them for about 4-5 years now, and have never had a dud battery. Also: birdsong was the first thing I noticed when I got mine; that and the sound of my gear pawls as I rode away from the audio unit at the local hospital :-)