Random Musings > Phototalk

Cheap but good point and shoot 35mm camera

(1/5) > >>

Graeme:
I have a Boots point and shoot camera, £17 off ebay, but I'm thinking of getting a better quality camera... however, I'm wondering if the Boots camera is actually really good anyway. I flip flop back and forth. The Boots 350AF is in my pocket and if I drop it - who cares. The Olympus mju is best part of £200 due to popularity. Is it really better?

Can anyone tell which is which between the Boots and my SLR camera in these two photos?
Do you have a recommendation for an improvement to the Boots camera for *not £200*?

Pickled Onion:
If the top one's your SLR then it's either broken or you've got the wrong lens hood on

andrew_s:
Canon Sure Shot?
https://chiswickcameras.co.uk/products/canon-sure-shot-35mm-compact-film-camera/  (£70)

The better known compact-ish film cameras (Oympus XA, Mju, Rollei B35, Minox 35 etc) all seem to be a similar ~ £150 eBay, more in a shop.
It would seem that enough have been junked to start acquiring some rarity value, though I'd guess that there are many just sitting in the back of a cupboard somewhere.
I was somewhat shocked to see the going rate on eBay for my cupboard sitter. I'll have to get round to selling it.

The top piccy is the Boots.

MikeFromLFE:
I've got far too many 35mm P&S cameras - for a good cost / value camera then I'd recommend almost any from the Pentax Espio range. I've never yet had one that's been a problem (although I do hear of broken door hinges - look at the seller's photos carefully).

Ham:
There are those who value the characteristics of the Boots (top one), often known as "Lomography" - using a camera that blurs reality in potentially pleasing ways.

Realistically, it has massive vignetting and very limited resolution, along with noticeable distortion. Nothing wrong with liking that and working within its limitations, but nothing "right" about the imaging, either. The two can't be compared in my view(finder).

Think about what you want to achieve, and (arguably) find the least automated example that serves your purpose, if you don't need it, avoid zoom, and AF isn't needed for landscape. How about an Olympus Pen F ( Half frame) for fun?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version