Author Topic: Cross Training: Rowing  (Read 226998 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Reply #1250 on: 29 March, 2021, 11:18:16 am »
oooh so more cake stops then \o/
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1251 on: 29 March, 2021, 12:52:39 pm »
My Concept2 D type arrived last Monday. I've had three sessions on it (first one was just to get
used to it), all uploaded to my online logbook. I'm liking it a lot*.

* Must get rid of the Nordictrack 5000 ski that I don't use).

« Reply #1252 on: 05 April, 2021, 12:00:00 am »
My Concept2 D type arrived last Monday. I've had three sessions on it (first one was just to get
used to it), all uploaded to my online logbook. I'm liking it a lot*.

* Must get rid of the Nordictrack 5000 ski that I don't use).

Please let me know what you think of it. Thinking of getting one or a Water resistance one and cant make my mind up https://www.talkrowing.co.uk/best-water-resistance-rowing-machine/ Happy for any other suggestions as well.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1253 on: 05 April, 2021, 11:30:05 am »
I just got the waterrower A1 studio. Brilliant bit of kit truly enjoy it. As I don't need all that tracking/logging things, I went for their low end model. But they clearly haven't cut the quality down, just removed the all singing and dancing computer.

Only minus bit I've found is that the little "speedometer" got a beep that is so loud, think smoke alarm. It took a good week before the mutt didn't come running, she is still nervous when I turn it on. And beep that let you know that you have reached your time/distance target, is loud and long a bit like the beep in the interview room on Line of Duty. So I don't use that part of it anymore.

Which is crazy since the waterrower is so quiet.

« Reply #1254 on: 05 April, 2021, 05:11:15 pm »
anyone else watch the boat races yesterday? as a volunteer coach with cambridge, I thought it was awesome :D.  I wasn't allowed to be there, it was incredibly carefully controlled.

I thought the venue was great, helped massively by sunshine and a benign wind - if it'd been today (15 gusting 25 from the north) it would have been very rough, apparently there are waves on the course this morning.

Cambridge women were much bigger and stronger and I thought should probably have won by more. The technique looked a bit rough from a few people, but they showed a lot of guts to get back in front and the stern 4 looked magnificent.  Oxford rowed brilliantly to get ahead and to stay in touch after ½ way, they looked more together than Cambridge although their catches all looked slow. 

Cambridge mens rowing was absolutely textbook.  They looked incredibly together and very very clean - hard to believe they've only been back on the water for a month, its some of the best rowing I've seen from them in a while.  Their coxing was *very* close to the limit, the umpire could possibly have disqualified them if there had been a clash.

Hopefully the reserves and the lightweights will be scheduled for soon, exams and logistics permitting, it's a shame they won't get any coverage on the telly.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1255 on: 05 April, 2021, 08:00:18 pm »
Yes I did, started about 5-10 min before them both and they both beat me to it :) I manged to do 2 times 5000m in one day and I'm not broken today, so I'm doing this right, I think.

The Umpire spend a lot of time shouting Oxford doing both races I noticed.

« Reply #1256 on: 05 April, 2021, 09:38:01 pm »
There was a suggestion I saw that Oxford should have steered into the weed halfway down and got an automatic re run.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #1257 on: 06 April, 2021, 05:11:10 pm »
anyone else watch the boat races yesterday? as a volunteer coach with cambridge, I thought it was awesome :D.  I wasn't allowed to be there, it was incredibly carefully controlled.

I thought the venue was great, helped massively by sunshine and a benign wind - if it'd been today (15 gusting 25 from the north) it would have been very rough, apparently there are waves on the course this morning.

Cambridge women were much bigger and stronger and I thought should probably have won by more. The technique looked a bit rough from a few people, but they showed a lot of guts to get back in front and the stern 4 looked magnificent.  Oxford rowed brilliantly to get ahead and to stay in touch after ½ way, they looked more together than Cambridge although their catches all looked slow. 

Cambridge mens rowing was absolutely textbook.  They looked incredibly together and very very clean - hard to believe they've only been back on the water for a month, its some of the best rowing I've seen from them in a while.  Their coxing was *very* close to the limit, the umpire could possibly have disqualified them if there had been a clash.

Hopefully the reserves and the lightweights will be scheduled for soon, exams and logistics permitting, it's a shame they won't get any coverage on the telly.

Congratulations! Shame you couldn't attend, Mike. They all did well considering the lack of time they've all had together in each boat. I was really struck by the differences between the two clubs, both men & women; Cambridge apparently slower at the catch (but probably more efficient in terms of boat run), Oxford really catching hard (but that might take more time to get together and really make the boat go). It seems to be a long-standing club difference; maybe the change of venue really made it stand out (to this rowing technical nerd). Oxford men's start made my daughter gasp as we watched it.

I spent a few hours until about 2pm chatting at Isle of Ely RC over the river whilst my fellow members ran the ferry service to CUBC (Oxford marquee was on their carpark). Really lucky with the weather, conditions were very poor on Friday & Saturday; our juniors were out the next day with N winds, waves and snow...

Now we get the whole river back for us numpties to use. Sculling again tomorrow.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1258 on: 18 April, 2021, 08:39:31 pm »
Manged to do my first 10000m today and it came in at 55min. Now lets see how walking will be like tomorrow.

« Reply #1259 on: 26 April, 2021, 08:58:22 am »
The two cambridge crews I spent most coaching raced Oxford yesterday and both won!  Everyone very happy.

The reserve eight 'blondie' won by a big margin, the spare pair were leading by a couple of lengths at half way when Oxford went for a quick swim..  The Cambridge mens reserve eight won by a similar distance. 

No social media yet, but Row360 were there with loads of cameras so I expect it'll appear online soon..

« Reply #1260 on: 26 April, 2021, 10:43:00 am »
Approaching 100k (metres) on mine.

This morning's session:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1261 on: 27 April, 2021, 10:08:13 am »
Just coming up to the end of the Concept 2 year and have rowed over 1.5m metres since 1 May 2020.  As this is a cross-training thread, the question is, has it helped my cycling?

On the club run on Saturday, after hanging on whilst the ex-national TT champion and the sub-2:30 marathon runner drove the group, once they left, was able to tow the rest of the group for 10 miles, with the club captain, who is normally my peer, claiming that he was 'hanging on'.  Even Jeff, who usually manages to half-wheel me to exhaustion gave up trying.  Yes, it could have been a good day, but perhaps the number of cumulative hard 30 minute - 60 minute efforts on the indoor rower have helped my ability to put the hammer down for a similar period of time.

Hubris will probably follow next week.  I get my race bike back from Argos cycles and will probably be out the back up the first hill.  But until then, I'm going to claim that the rowing has definitely helped my cycling.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1262 on: 27 April, 2021, 02:20:21 pm »

Just coming up to the end of the Concept 2 year and have rowed over 1.5m metres since 1 May 2020.  As this is a cross-training thread, the question is, has it helped my cycling?

On the club run on Saturday, after hanging on whilst the ex-national TT champion and the sub-2:30 marathon runner drove the group, once they left, was able to tow the rest of the group for 10 miles, with the club captain, who is normally my peer, claiming that he was 'hanging on'.  Even Jeff, who usually manages to half-wheel me to exhaustion gave up trying.  Yes, it could have been a good day, but perhaps the number of cumulative hard 30 minute - 60 minute efforts on the indoor rower have helped my ability to put the hammer down for a similar period of time.

Hubris will probably follow next week.  I get my race bike back from Argos cycles and will probably be out the back up the first hill.  But until then, I'm going to claim that the rowing has definitely helped my cycling.
I've done 98k metres since 16th March 2021. I use it every day that I'm not on the bike. I signed
up to receive the daily workout schedule. After a couple of short sessions, I now do the medium variety.
I currently enjoy beasting myself with : 
  • 4 x 2000 metres (2 mins easy rowing between intervals) or,
  • 8 x 1000 meters (1 minute easy rowing between intervals) or,
  • 10,000 metres (2k @ 22 strokes per minute, 2k @ 24 spm, 2k @26 spm, 2k @ 24 spm, 2k @ 22 spm).
Other sessions are available.

Like @CrazyEnglishTriathlete, I think the sessions I've done have helped my cycling amongst my peers. 

« Reply #1263 on: 27 April, 2021, 02:25:46 pm »
Just coming up to the end of the Concept 2 year and have rowed over 1.5m metres since 1 May 2020. 
One of my brothers received a nominal gift from Concept for achieving 1 million metres.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1264 on: 27 April, 2021, 03:14:53 pm »
Just coming up to the end of the Concept 2 year and have rowed over 1.5m metres since 1 May 2020. 
One of my brothers received a nominal gift from Concept for achieving 1 million metres.

Like this?

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23807.msg2492115#msg2492115
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #1265 on: 27 April, 2021, 03:46:53 pm »

Like this?

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23807.msg2492115#msg2492115
Yes, and a t-shirt.

« Reply #1266 on: 27 April, 2021, 05:43:58 pm »
I've done about 1.2m meters since starting in late November.  Most of it slow - 2.10-15 split - but am starting to mix in more intense, higher rate sessions too.  10x500m last week was... not fun at all.

Am definitely stronger and more able to push myself on the bike - am getting lots of PBs on Strava and even won a race up a [short] hill with my other half last weekend!!  although she may not have known we were racing....

« Reply #1267 on: 28 April, 2021, 08:19:15 am »
I've done about 1.2m meters since starting in late November.  Most of it slow - 2.10-15 split - but am starting to mix in more intense, higher rate sessions too.  10x500m last week was... not fun at all.

Am definitely stronger and more able to push myself on the bike - am getting lots of PBs on Strava and even won a race up a [short] hill with my other half last weekend!!  although she may not have known we were racing....
* How often do you row (every day?), and how many metres per session?
* I'm also getting some Strava PBs and I didn't feel as if I was trying any harder than normal.

« Reply #1268 on: 28 April, 2021, 09:38:40 am »

I try and do 5 or 6 days a week, and it ranges from 6.5k to 12k per session. Now the sun's out I'm doing more meters on the water (and on the bike), but am trying to do 2 or 3 ergs a week.

« Reply #1269 on: 28 April, 2021, 10:21:48 am »

I try and do 5 or 6 days a week, and it ranges from 6.5k to 12k per session. Now the sun's out I'm doing more meters on the water (and on the bike), but am trying to do 2 or 3 ergs a week.
My youngest brother is a member of the Six Million Metre Club and has done half a dozen Half
Marathons. I'll try one within the next couple of weeks. 

« Reply #1270 on: 28 April, 2021, 10:49:27 am »
Haven't tried that yet, the longest I've managed without a break is an hour.. Perhaps a challenge for May!!
What how much slower do you go for a ½ compared to 20 minute pace?

« Reply #1271 on: 29 April, 2021, 07:56:50 pm »
Haven't tried that yet, the longest I've managed without a break is an hour.. Perhaps a challenge for May!!
What how much slower do you go for a ½ compared to 20 minute pace?
I've only had mine since mid-March, so building up endurance on it. I've gone from the short
sessions, to the medium. My last 3 session have been 2 x (4 x 2000 metres, with 2 mins easy
between each interval) and 1 x (8 x 1000 metres, with 1 min easy between each interval).

My next session will be 10 x 500 metres, (about 30 strokes per min, 30 seconds easy rowing between each interval). The last few may not be quality, but I want to row to exhaustion.

« Reply #1272 on: 30 April, 2021, 02:52:24 pm »
My next session will be 10 x 500 metres, (about 30 strokes per min, 30 seconds easy rowing between each interval). The last few may not be quality, but I want to row to exhaustion.
Just tried it, and it was extremely hard. It felt like a typical winter training session that I endured with the Sale Harriers 400 metre sprinting group with back in the early 80s.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1273 on: 30 April, 2021, 03:19:37 pm »
I'm following Pete's plan somewhat, as in adding a wee bit more every week and I'm now at 7500m, 3 times a week and the other 2-3 rows are about 5000m.

I try to start off at about 18-20 strokes for about 1000m to warm up. Then up to about 22 strokes, but I can't keep it there I just end up at about 24, where I just feel nice and comfortable and I build a bit a sweat up.

When I get to about 3500m, I just can't be arsed anymore and kinda find it boring. Then I hit 4000-4200m and I go into a rhythm that is about 24-25 strokes and I just sit there for the rest of the time.

I have done my first 10000m and I got in at 55min, which I was surprised at. So I do think I can get under 50min which at the start, was something I was sure I would never do.

Yesterday I did my first attempt on a fast 2000m and got 9m12s, this includes the warmup, I found myself going much faster than I was planning to and then thought feck it, lets go. So I think I shave about 1min on that time.

I don't do HIIT or x times of y at z speed or pushing myself to the point where I can't breathe and things hurt. I'm a pootler and cake stop kinda cyclist and now rower :)

And it seams to work as I have dropped 2.5kgs already.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1274 on: 30 April, 2021, 10:17:49 pm »
Concept II marathon challenge is on for 2 weeks from 1 May.  Set the distance to 42195m.  Row forever.  Log the result and the validation code in your logbook and you will get a free pin.  Am planning to have a go, because I had a faster split over 50,000m when I tried that earlier this year, so I reckon a PB might be on offer.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)