Author Topic: 'flu jab'  (Read 35500 times)

Re: 'flu jab'
« Reply #50 on: 20 November, 2012, 08:09:14 pm »
How many people here get the 'flu jab'?

What effect does it have on you?  Makes me slightly light-headed and feverish.
No effect at all, apart from I feel a bit of a prick ....

« Reply #51 on: 18 October, 2013, 10:14:25 am »
flu jab time again.

Last year's was not good for me. I'd forgotten that I posted that it made me 'light-headed and feverish'.

"Coincidence does not equal causation" but last year I had a mystery weakness that took months to go. All sorts of inconclusive blood tests.

I'm not having the flue jab this year. Would rather a week of unpleasant illness than 2.5 months of my fitness wrecked.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #52 on: 18 October, 2013, 10:18:33 am »
I read they were using a spray up the nostril now, rather than a jab. Or is that only for kids?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #53 on: 18 October, 2013, 10:22:55 am »
Too late for me, sob, cough, sneeze.

« Reply #54 on: 18 October, 2013, 10:32:42 am »
I've been offered one this year due to my asthma being much worse than in previous years. But, I'm in two minds. I hardly come into contact with anyone these days  ( :'( but also  :D )  and I usually react badly to vaccinations (yellow fever was the odd exception: Woolly was the one with the full-on symptoms). Then again, I had a terrible 'proper flu', as the doctors call it, back in June and never want to experience such hell again!

« Reply #55 on: 18 October, 2013, 10:52:01 am »
I had a flu jab already.

However last week and the week before, I had something which if not flu (and I don't use the term lightly, I don't mean I just had a cold) was very similar to flu, with accompanying chest infection. Clearly worked brilliantly for me ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #56 on: 18 October, 2013, 10:56:53 am »
I had my jab at my GPs last week.

Also had the pneumonia one, which I hadn't thought I was indicated for.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #57 on: 18 October, 2013, 11:44:25 am »
Apparently the nasal spray has been withdrawn cos it contains pork gelatine.
http://www.webmd.boots.com/cold-and-flu/news/20130917/pork-delays-flu-vaccine-pilot
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #58 on: 18 October, 2013, 11:45:16 am »
I had one on Wednesday.
I've never bothered before, but what with my heart effect, my increasing asthma and being 64 and that, I thought it best.
No noticed side affects as yet.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #59 on: 18 October, 2013, 11:52:29 am »
Had mine done a couple of weeks ago - I'm in an 'at risk' group (diabetic) and have no desire to have swine-flu again.

Past experience has taught me to write off 2-3 days afterwards as I invariably feel like hammered shit - this time was no exception. One of my cow-orkers (also diabetic) had his jab a couple of days ago and was definitely looking a bit peaky yesterday ...

simonp

« Reply #60 on: 18 October, 2013, 12:47:09 pm »
My employer offers it to all employees. I feel slightly under the weather for a day or two.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #61 on: 18 October, 2013, 01:15:15 pm »
I suffered from a sore arm for about 24 hours this year.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #62 on: 18 October, 2013, 01:24:43 pm »
I have not been offered a 'flu jab. I don't get out much so I won't be exposed much.
That's OK for me.

David has had flu jabs before (he's mildly1 asthmatic). He's not been offered anything this year or last.

I'll ask David if he wants to arrange a flu jab. He does seem to suffer a lot when he catches a cold.

1) Had a bad time as a kid/adolescent but has wheezed once in past year and not used an inhaler at all.

« Reply #63 on: 18 October, 2013, 01:28:42 pm »
Had mine last week - no problems
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

AAO

« Reply #64 on: 18 October, 2013, 03:31:18 pm »
I've had a jab every year since my heart attack. No problems so far.

« Reply #65 on: 18 October, 2013, 08:24:59 pm »
had mine a couple of weeks ago no problems as per usual, the one year I missed my jab I caught proper flu, after that I will never forget again, I have mine due to my asthma the wife pays £20 at one of the chemists in Brecon for hers.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #66 on: 18 October, 2013, 08:48:31 pm »
I need to see my GP as it seems it's not coded on the for me to get flu jab on the computer - I'm not a traditional risk group, I'm "Had fuck tonnes of ENT surgery" "chronic illness" group.  My ENT consultant always wanted me to have it and my current GP used to do ENT surgery also agrees but isn't good with the computers...   

I work with students who tend to turn up to see me when ill so I'm exposed quite badly.  I think I had swine flu in 2009 or at least something viral then secondary bacterial and made me hideously ill for about 6 weeks.  I was off work for 3 weeks and only returned at that point for fear of losing my job - work's occy health doc who I saw about an unrelated disability sign-off was very worried about me cos I gurgled when I breathed and it was another 3-6 weeks after that that I was even remotely "well". 

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #67 on: 18 October, 2013, 11:11:09 pm »
We are all due flu jabs here. Dez is (immunosuppressants), I am (immunosuppressants & anno domini) and Mrs. Wo wis (she lives with us and anno domini).

Must do something about that.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #68 on: 18 October, 2013, 11:22:29 pm »
I normally don't bother but being asthmatic I ought to, think I will this year.

No real reason that I feel more inclined to this year but am going to go with my 'instinct'.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #69 on: 19 October, 2013, 12:45:34 pm »
They do things differently here. Our shots are in the fridge downstairs, awaiting the doc's next visit to the Inlaw Paw.

Cyclists breathe intensely for long periods, so that it's easy to haul any upper respiratory tract infection into the depths and start something really nasty. Better safe...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #70 on: 25 October, 2013, 07:10:23 am »
I had my jab at my GPs last week.

Also had the pneumonia one, which I hadn't thought I was indicated for.

I also had the pneumonia one on Tuesday.  Flu jab some small ache for 24 hrs but no problem.  Pneumonia one very achy and have difficulty lifting my arm.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #71 on: 25 October, 2013, 10:36:00 pm »
Yeah, I had a small ache.
Getting there...

« Reply #72 on: 27 October, 2013, 05:44:38 pm »
Vikingess and I had ours on Saturday.  No adverse effects other than the usual sore arm for a day or two.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #73 on: 27 October, 2013, 11:46:31 pm »
I am wary of it. Although I am in Various risk groups, Asthma, Diabetes and other stuff too, but the last few years I've had the flu jab I've felt ill for a week or so in a "Don't want that again" sort of way. I do react badly to Imunisations, Polio one nearly killed me as a kid and the Hep-B one caused me Months of Illness and lost me, completely and irreversibly, a safe and secure career in something I did have aptitude for.  The surgery keep sending me the "Come an' get it!" letter but I've not had the confidence this year. I suppose I ought to MTFU and sort it.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #74 on: 04 November, 2013, 03:12:33 pm »
I'm due mine. I wouldn't want to risk not having it with my asthma (which is currently pretty severe as usual for Autumn-Spring). A few years back I didn't have one and got the flu followed by weeks of a chest infection that just wouldn't clear up leading to emphysema. Eventually high dose systemic steroids cleared it but my lungs have never been quite the same since, they think a patch if them consolidated and is now useless. Anyone with asthma I would honestly say get the vaccine based on this experience!