Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1752967 times)

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #8850 on: 10 February, 2016, 10:06:28 pm »

Can't see you in here, where are you?

Portsmouth.

Ah I see you're in the wrong pub then! It's The Rodney - Little Baddow not Pompey

The Retiree

« Reply #8851 on: 11 February, 2016, 10:47:35 am »
Ted's obviously living up to the latter part of this today........ Official recorder - MEMWNS (when I can be arsed::-)

« Reply #8852 on: 11 February, 2016, 10:57:51 am »
Ah, DL, when you grow up you will discover what it's like in the world of work where you actually work rather than trolling social media for the day.

Rest assured, a full report will follow when I have a moment.  Doubtless you will be most interested given the fact you weren't even there  :o 
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

« Reply #8853 on: 11 February, 2016, 11:00:46 am »
Ah, DL, when you grow up you will discover what it's like in the world of work where you actually work rather than trolling social media for the day.

Anyway back in the real world most of us don't class sampling the latest beers in the Ale House or playing a few rounds on the golf course as work  :-\ if you have time to reply to me you have time to write the report  ::-)

« Reply #8854 on: 11 February, 2016, 11:06:06 am »

Anyway back in the real world most of us don't class sampling the latest beers in the Ale House or playing a few rounds on the golf course as work  :-\ if you have time to reply to me you have time to write the report  ::-)
Some of us wish we did though!

The Retiree

« Reply #8855 on: 11 February, 2016, 11:09:28 am »

:thumbsup: we need to reach MP status and have a secretary to do so apparently

The Retiree

« Reply #8856 on: 11 February, 2016, 11:10:14 am »

:thumbsup: we need to reach MP status and have a secretary to do so apparently

^^^ just don't ask them to choose a phone cover for you that takes terrible selfies  :facepalm:

« Reply #8857 on: 11 February, 2016, 11:19:28 am »
 ;D

I managed exactly 1 ascent of North Hill last night and that was in doubt as I started it and again as I went past a very inviting looking Rodney on the way up. If Carlos had parked his bike in a more visible location I am pretty sure I would not have gone 'all the way'

Anyway, I got up to the Generals Arms (is that place actually closed?) and turned back to Colams Lane figuring I might wait and see who turns up for a few minutes. Ice was already forming on the salt bin which gave me some more idea on why I could not feel my toes. It was not Long until Jiberjaber came along on his second ascent. We had abit of a chat, watched a group of 'fast' folk go by and then headed down. Jiberjaber tried to get me in for another ascent but I was not having a bar of it, I'll put my hills in by doing miles instead of repeats thanks very much  ;D. A nice quick 18 stone assisted descent with a slightly hairy turn into the pub and I was parking the bike.

Carlos was already well into his first pint, my usual I am not drinking lasted for about 10 seconds and the I am only having 1 lasted about 2 minutes. 6  Nations form the Shalford Brewery, Brass Monkey from the Colchester Brewery (I think) and a pint of the middle one was consumed. I was not a fan of the Six Nation in all honesty but the other 2 hit the spot. I didn't have a cider :o

The ride home was very cold, ice on the roof of the car in the car park confirmed that. We said goodnight to the Witham Peloton at Hatfield Peveral and Ted shortly afterwards as he headed down the main road toward Maldon. Carlos and I ascended Station Road into Wickham Bishops at true winter fitness pace and rode through to Tiptree before I headed home, I think the lights were still on but it was close!

edit* I spent a lot of time grilling Tom about gears for fixed. Turns out the whole bare essentials way of riding might be simple on the bike but there is an awful lot to get your head around. Who would have thought knowing your prime numbers could be useful in selection of chain rings!  ;D Anyway, it's all clear as mud now! 47T on the Front and 16/17/18 will probably be my first 3 cogs for the back.

The Retiree

« Reply #8858 on: 11 February, 2016, 11:23:33 am »
Thanks Tippers at least someone has written a report of the evening and not come up with excuses as to why they couldn't!

I'm hoping Ted will include in his official write up the reason why he was looking a little flushed and red in the face in Jibers official photography shots of the evening  ???

« Reply #8859 on: 11 February, 2016, 12:51:20 pm »
As Tippers has already said, it was a fairly chilly Memwns yesterday evening.

The venue was the Rodney which is about 1/3 of the way up TMNH so an ascent from at least one direction was compulsory.

I arrived a bit late after making said ascent and after building DL's bike for next week.  If he had bothered to turn up he could have seen a picture.

If I looked red it was the biting cold on the ride from home and the quick ascent to the Generals that was to blame. The Nounsley ford was negotiated without incident by using the path so it wasn't a ducking this time.

Also present, aside from the aforementioned Tippers, were Tomsk, Huggy, the Hustler, Carlos and Clem Fandango, Jiberjaber and the BFC.  The Witham peloton was only three strong last night and everyone else had made solo missions to get there.  Clem Fandango had travelled almost 7 miles apparently.

We sampled Shalford's Six Nations, Colchester Brewery's Brass Monkey and the Quaffers' Choice; Green Jack's The Drifter.  The Rodney is a good old fashioned pub with a public bar and lounge bar (how often do you see that these days ?).  Despite having a toilet wrecking antipodean with us, we were allowed to use the lounge bar.

There seemed to be a couple of discussions going on about fixed gears, hubs etc with Tomsk and the BFC providing expert advice to me and my fellow novices.  Sadly, Jiberjaber had forgotten his cheque book again so no entry to the BCM...yet.  There does seem to be mid-Essex peloton forming for the Shark in April though  :thumbsup:

It was a cold ride home afterwards and I had just got onto the driveway and unclipped when the streetlights went off.  Not sure what the ruling is on that.  Just under 80k for me last night which gave me a tiny insight into what Tomsk puts up with most weeks.  Not sure I had even warmed up by morning.

Hopefully we can arrange a suitable venue and attendance for the elephant bike formation team ride soon.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8860 on: 11 February, 2016, 12:57:20 pm »
Your Elephant Bikes have arrived?

« Reply #8861 on: 11 February, 2016, 01:01:54 pm »
They have arrived and are built up and ready to go  :thumbsup:

Just need some suitably industrial lights.

The basket not moving when you steer thing is a bit weird isn't it  :o

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8862 on: 11 February, 2016, 01:15:14 pm »

Yes it is!

And we need photos!

The Retiree

« Reply #8863 on: 11 February, 2016, 01:16:09 pm »

Yes it is!

And we need photos!

Preferably in a supermarket car park!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8864 on: 11 February, 2016, 01:17:50 pm »

Yes it is!

And we need photos!

Do they have supermarkets on Mersea or is it all poncey boutiques?

The Retiree

« Reply #8865 on: 11 February, 2016, 01:18:32 pm »

Yes it is!

And we need photos!

The latter OD it's the Sandbanks of Essex don't you know!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #8866 on: 11 February, 2016, 01:22:24 pm »

Yes it is!

And we need photos!

Or a gut busting, lung bursting, thigh popping trip to the tip, transporting a load of rubble or a fridge, washing machine or an old telly.

Or even a couple of fluffy pillows!😂

« Reply #8867 on: 11 February, 2016, 01:23:26 pm »
Actually Sandbanks is the Mersea of Dorset.

I could take a picture outside the caviar store but I don't know how to post pictures on here so it would be a pointless exercise other than via Faceache.

I will not be transporting heavy items on them.  That's why I have children.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #8868 on: 11 February, 2016, 01:27:52 pm »

I could take a picture outside the caviar store but I don't know how to post pictures on here so it would be a pointless exercise other than via Faceache.

If you transport your children on them you'll get big qudos from me.😎

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #8869 on: 11 February, 2016, 01:30:13 pm »

Yes it is!

And we need photos!

The latter OD it's the Sandbanks of Essex don't you know!

It's where I go for all my best photo shoots.

« Reply #8870 on: 11 February, 2016, 01:32:46 pm »
The Burnham power station makes a stunning backdrop

The Retiree

« Reply #8871 on: 11 February, 2016, 01:35:18 pm »

How about a picture of Arry Redknapp hanging out of his Range Rover window instead as he is a neighbour!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8872 on: 13 February, 2016, 09:58:10 am »
I have news on another offer to visit the Lee Valley Velodrome - Wednesday 4th May 6pm to 8pm.  Our only offer of a slot before September.
We had 27 people thoroughly enjoy themselves there in January and can recommend the experience, even for novice riders.
I have to either accept the slot or return it before Friday 19th February.  To make it as economical as possible I would want to fill the 15 places available, if more interest then get as close to 30 as possible.  With bike hire budget for £35, add £7 for shoes if needed.
The session is 2 hours long with our group's exclusive use of the track with an instructor, in the format of a track taster session.  The fees have gone up  and will be:
2 hour track session = £23
Bike & helmet hire = £12
Cleated shoe hire = £7  (not essential if you have your own Look Keo cleats or are happy using toe clip pedals)

A similar post has been put on the Witham Cycling Facebook page.  Please let me know if you're interested soon so I can either accept the session or let it go.
(No need to post here if you voted on the Facebook page.)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

The Retiree

« Reply #8873 on: 13 February, 2016, 11:21:27 am »
Couldn't see the post on WC page but count me in again please

« Reply #8874 on: 13 February, 2016, 11:57:55 am »
Sounds good to me!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!