Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576227 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1350 on: 31 January, 2012, 07:13:48 pm »
Bahfuckit. My old scanner won't work with Windows 7. Unless I can find a driver (& the firm the supplier outsourced all support of old kit to doesn't sell one, & announced that it would no longer respond to any queries about the scanner last year), it's stuffed, & I'll have to buy a new one. Buggrit!

It's only 12 years old.  :(

Try Vuescan from Hamrick Software which has kept some SCSI scanners going on Windows 7 PCs for me.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #1351 on: 31 January, 2012, 09:52:06 pm »
Oh bum. I thought my back tyre was a bit soft on Monday's ride home but hadn't topped them up that morning so wasn't sure. Just about to goto bed when I remembered about it... and it is flat as a flat thing :( Arse.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1352 on: 02 February, 2012, 09:52:10 pm »
My stir-fry this evening consisted of not-what-I'd've-chosen meat, not-what-I'd've-chosen veg, not-what-I'd've-chosen sauce and not-what-I'd've-chosen noodles.
They were all chosen by No1Daughter who is a) eating at her dad's tonight and b) already in my bad books for not collecting my parcel when she said she would.

Bloody children.

Bairn Again

« Reply #1353 on: 03 February, 2012, 05:25:07 pm »
Boarded the sleeper from edinburgh to london last night.

knock on berth door at 4am - "breakfast's arrived early" I thought.........no. 

A derailment ahead meant that we were going to disembark and be bussed to (that) london.  Crewe not being blessed with 24hr coach services it was another 2 hrs+ in a freezing cabin before the coach arrived / departed, finally arriving into London Euston at lunchtime.  west coast has been a wash out all day.   

Total disaster avoided by cancelling all official meetings and organising an informal networking lunch with london based colleagues in licensed premises (the excellent Craft Brewing Co in Leather Lane) before heading for the train home, which is where I am now.

Now at Darlington heading north.

EDIT - grump factor restored by the fact that the train contains many rugby fans (*) heading north for the rugger tomorrow.  You know, greater than normal numbers of dark green sweaters, pink shirts, mustard corduroys, upturned collars and general twattishness.

(*) at least the English watch and support club rugby, what was it, around 80,000 at Twickenham at Christmas.  It's one man and his dog in Scotland for the whole year except when it's time for a bit of anti English sentiment when 60,000 ephemeral nationalists turn out.  Idiots. 

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1354 on: 03 February, 2012, 10:50:21 pm »
Drinking in the office on the company tab is all fine and dandy until... one loses track of time and doesn't notice until after the gym has closed.  This will be the gym where one has stored ones cycling kit, leaving one with the option of cycling home 11km+ suited and booted, or picking up the bike from the office the next morning on the way to ones appointment for the day.  Either way, it will cost me £10 on Monday morning to get my stuff back from the gym. *sigh*
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1355 on: 04 February, 2012, 07:49:58 pm »
Ever since breakfast my digestion has been fighting a losing battle with my legs for the limited blood supply.
I don't suppose a 3 course pub lunch was helpfull immediatley before the 50km ride home. ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1356 on: 04 February, 2012, 07:54:05 pm »
Ever since breakfast my digestion has been fighting a losing battle with my legs for the limited blood supply.

Same here.  It's officially a no-score draw.

Actually, I appear to be rather dehydrated.  How on earth do you avoid that while cycling in winter?  I mean, you're losing almost the same amount of fluid through sweat and breathing and stuff as you would in the warm, but you're cold so you don't feel thirsty, and your bladder fills up within milliseconds of going outside which doesn't help either...

« Reply #1357 on: 04 February, 2012, 08:24:11 pm »
Just dropped two meals worth of Delia's spiced chicken to the floor shattering the bowl it was in and contaminating my supper with shards of ceramic.

Gah!

Merde!

I hate wasting food.

« Reply #1358 on: 05 February, 2012, 04:40:21 pm »
I get that pelting the mad cyclist with snow is hilarious but what if I'd come off under the wheels of the car overtaking me at the time? Use your feeble excuse for a braincell numbnuts.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1359 on: 06 February, 2012, 01:36:47 pm »
Boss/owner. I think we get on well enough & I exceeded my two-month target within 3 weeks of starting, so I hope I've proved my credentials are kosher. AND I got the company in at a BIG potential customer where you had not had much luck...

So, you now need to listen to me when I directly tell you that I am twiddling my thumbs much of the time and start handing some of your workload over to me. That is why you took me on, isn't it? Believe me, the protestant work ethic passed me by, but I'd rather have something meaningful to do than sit around surfing all day. We've discussed it, and you agreed to do it, so now's the time to turn words into action.

One thing I'm NOT going to do is spend a lot of time sitting in an office working the silly hours that you do without having anything to do.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1360 on: 06 February, 2012, 10:32:57 pm »
Car's dead again, and this time it's definitely the fuel pump. I think a new (to me) car on Friday is on order.

Also the crap shimano chain I had on the tourer has eaten 5/8 gears on the rear cassette. Cylcing with only 12, 26 and 32t rear sprockets is not fun.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

essexian

« Reply #1361 on: 07 February, 2012, 07:39:46 am »
Currently sitting in the "Quiet Zone" on a Virgin Train to That London wondering why the three people near me can not type without making more noise than removing a wall......BANG BANG BANG BANG  goes there club like fingers on the keyboard. :facepalm:

« Reply #1362 on: 07 February, 2012, 06:52:39 pm »
Bugger! Tightening up loose allen bolts on a rattling rack, one of them went from a bit internally round to bloody useless. I realised it was a bad idea to tighten it any further & it was more sensible to loosen it off & put a new one in there - too late.  :facepalm:

The rack's OK for now, but I'll be stuffed when I want to remove it unless that bolt works loose again.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1363 on: 07 February, 2012, 09:43:50 pm »
Disk fairy.

« Reply #1364 on: 07 February, 2012, 09:47:34 pm »
Bugger! Tightening up loose allen bolts on a rattling rack, one of them went from a bit internally round to bloody useless. I realised it was a bad idea to tighten it any further & it was more sensible to loosen it off & put a new one in there - too late.  :facepalm:

The rack's OK for now, but I'll be stuffed when I want to remove it unless that bolt works loose again.

Can't you get a mole grip on it?

« Reply #1365 on: 07 February, 2012, 11:59:16 pm »
One o' they li'l round headed ones, which because the hole is smaller & more fragile I usually reserve for places where only they will fit, but in this case used to hold the rack on because a couple of 'em exactly the right length were to hand when I fitted it.  :(
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1366 on: 08 February, 2012, 01:02:08 am »
Hmmmm.

Lots of plusgas, cut a slot (not all the way down) and use a screw-driver? Danger of endiing up having to drill the shank out, though.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #1367 on: 08 February, 2012, 08:51:05 am »
Having left the trike out for a few weeks I've been meaning to check all the cables.
Yesterday I got on it to go to work, all ok and moving. No need to lube any.
Go out last night at 23.30 to come home every one was solid (-5), no brakes, no gears  ::-)
To myself, get round to doing things before they need doing in the future  :facepalm:

« Reply #1368 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:37:17 am »
Hmmmm.

Lots of plusgas, cut a slot (not all the way down) and use a screw-driver? Danger of endiing up having to drill the shank out, though.
Yeah. And given my limited mechanical skills, that'll do something horrible to my nice titanium frame.

Bairn Again

« Reply #1369 on: 14 February, 2012, 04:02:30 pm »
why is it that whenever I'm at the supermarket checkout that the person/people in front of me always seem to pay for part of their shopping with bloody vouchers which takes forever. Invariably some are out of date or ineligible in another way and then they cant find some and oh wait a minute I think they are in here and are you sure youve taken the correct amount off wopuldnt want to miss that vital 2p off my persil etc etc.

essexian

« Reply #1370 on: 14 February, 2012, 05:15:53 pm »
Why is it so difficult to find 700c wheels which take discs??????

I have spent all afternoon looking...sorry working my fingers to the bone and have found only a few suppliers, none of which really catch my eye.

Looks like my evening is now booked hunting bike bits.... hope the wife doesn't mind.  :facepalm:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1371 on: 14 February, 2012, 05:45:50 pm »
Hubs, spokes, rim, wheel builder. Job done.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1372 on: 15 February, 2012, 12:29:49 pm »
I've changed time zones (now GMT-5) and I'm at a lower latitude than London, but I'm still waking up just after 04:00, EVERY MORNING.  At least its 04:00 EST, not GMT.  But it's still not fun.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1373 on: 15 February, 2012, 12:39:59 pm »
why is it that whenever I'm at the supermarket checkout that the person/people in front of me always seem to pay for part of their shopping with bloody vouchers which takes forever. Invariably some are out of date or ineligible in another way and then they cant find some and oh wait a minute I think they are in here and are you sure youve taken the correct amount off wopuldnt want to miss that vital 2p off my persil etc etc.

Same as cash machines.   It's like the people in front have never used one before, and are studying and considering the instructions carefully.   Enter PIN? Hmm, let's have a think about that.   Select Service?  Hmm, well I don't know what should I do?  Get cash? Balance query?  Oh, I know.  I'll print a statement.  And then take out some cash.   How much? Oh, decisions, decisions...   And then print out another statement.  Study the statements carefully.  Put card back in, and do a mobile top-up.  Oh,and then print another statement.

Grr.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1374 on: 15 February, 2012, 12:48:46 pm »
Why is it so difficult to find 700c wheels which take discs??????

I have spent all afternoon looking...sorry working my fingers to the bone and have found only a few suppliers, none of which really catch my eye.

Looks like my evening is now booked hunting bike bits.... hope the wife doesn't mind.  :facepalm:

Depends if you need 130mm or 135mm

One word of warning, don't be tempted by the cheap On-One wheels, the hubs are shit.  I got a pair with my InBred Bundle, the front hub was replaced quickly with a dynohub (Shimano T-665 LX) and I have just replaced the complete rear wheel as the rear hub was as wobbly as a jelly sat on top of washing machine on 1400 spin with just one towel in it.  Both hubs were Shimano Deore, I would have expected better, but then my experience of Shimano MTB hubs is 10 years old at best.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State