Author Topic: Cycle-specific speed warning signs  (Read 2779 times)

Davef

Re: Cycle-specific speed warning signs
« Reply #25 on: 30 May, 2020, 11:04:01 am »
b) if it's a footpath land access laws there prohibit cycling anyway
A public footpath on private land gives you a right of way on foot. It does not prohibit using a bike, but if you do without the landowners permission this would be trespassing but no criminal offence. As such the land owner would need to show damages and sue for recompense.

Just because cycling on a footpath in general is not illegal it does not prevent local bylaws from making it so which I think was probably the case in Ely and hence the signs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Davef

« Reply #26 on: 30 May, 2020, 11:06:51 am »
A public footpath on private land gives you a right of way on foot. It does not prohibit using a bike, but if you do without the landowners permission this would be trespassing but no criminal offence. As such the land owner would need to show damages and sue for recompense.

Just because cycling on a footpath in general is not illegal it does not prevent local bylaws from making it so which I think was probably the case in Ely and hence the signs.

Edit: I am talking about England and Wales. In Scotland the right to roam may play a part.

« Reply #27 on: 30 May, 2020, 11:30:38 am »

I think it was Environmental Agency land. There was confusion because up to that point, the riverside path is shared use part of NCN, and 25 metres further on is a cyclepath through a park - Most maps show (inclucing the council produced one) NCN11 using that path and the park, whereas the route the council approved and signed, does not.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 30 May, 2020, 11:37:54 am »
This is the sign on the A38 that is intended to warn drivers on the slip road of cyclists on the main road:
https://goo.gl/maps/SGzqTsGcyPdvzJQKA
I think that sign is to warn drivers that cyclists may cross the slip road at 90 degrees (if they follow the "cycle lane")
There are actually three cycle lanes there! Or two, but one's in two parts. There's one that starts on the left by the permanent "danger, cyclists!" sign. There's one that cuts across the grassy triangle to join it, which is really it's feeder; and there's one out of sight that goes all along the main carriageway. I'd say it's for all three of them. It lights up when it detects a cyclist on the dual carriageway, at which point it doesn't know whether the cyclist is going to go straight on or use the cut-across (and arguably it doesn't matter, both bring you into conflict with joining traffic, just in a different way).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 30 May, 2020, 11:43:16 am »
... the sign is needless clutter.

Which is what prioritie a droit created with the need for the priority route diamond that's also now growing all over France too.
Not really, the priority diamond also indicates that your route has priority over traffic from the left. It's useful at eg traffic lights when they're switched off at night (or have broken).

Signage could have been so much clearer if sensible people had been in Vienna, and the eejits had gone to Venice by mistake.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
The gondolistas would be cursing priorità giusta.*

*translated by google...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #30 on: 30 May, 2020, 11:52:39 am »
The left side driving system has priority implied by the main line and paint.

The right side drive system has it explicitly stated by the existence or lack of a sign and paint.

If right side driving rules were a mirror of left there would be significantly less signs and the same amount of paint.

Is more what I'm getting at...

The UK appears to have cancelled ratifying the convention until Brexit actually happens.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Davef

« Reply #31 on: 30 May, 2020, 01:55:10 pm »
The opposite case, quite a lot of cycle route 51 (near grafham water) runs along tracks crossing farmland signposted “public footpath”. I assume permission has been granted by the landowner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk