Author Topic: A little spending money :)  (Read 3454 times)

A little spending money :)
« on: 08 May, 2020, 02:13:53 pm »
Without going into too much detail about what I do and don't have already - mainly a 20-odd year old bottom-end-of-half-decent bike (would be about a grand's worth new these days) and similar kit and accessories (I already have new padded shorts! Don't list them in your answers, please, although they may actually have been the first best thing anyway)...

... if you had maybe 2 or 3 hundred pounds legitimately earmarked for bike budget (from, say, selling an old MTB you never use any more as you're definitely a roadie ;) )... what bike stuff would you buy today to make life nicer?

No limits, bikes/components/workshop/clothes/anything.
Have fun! (Well, I always enjoy spending other people's money  8) )

I have some ideas myself, but I'm very out of date and could easily miss something that's improved a lot in the meantime :)
Back in the saddle :)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: A little spending money :)
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2020, 03:05:40 pm »

Saddle, and a wahoo.

Saddle cos comfort is incredibly important. Wahoo as I love my wahoo, it makes navigation so damn easy.

Getting both out of 300 generic currency units may be tough, my preferred saddle is ⅔rds of your budget, but that's where I'd start.

Oh, and then I'd fit the widest conti GP5k tyres I could.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2020, 04:01:47 pm »
If you're talking tools then a track pump and a work stand.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2020, 04:02:37 pm »
Good lights.
Rust never sleeps

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2020, 04:34:07 pm »
Drugs

« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2020, 06:02:45 pm »

« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2020, 06:05:57 pm »

and a wahoo.

Would anyone mind talking to me about these fancy things?
I mean, I have a trad style bike "computer" (speed and cadence) and a smart phone (and if I'm getting that far away, I can read a map if in the middle of Wales with no data signal)... what extra do they bring?

« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2020, 06:11:39 pm »
If you've got a couple of weeks spare you could start here - https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=63.0, in particular (with reference to QG's specific recommendation) https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=102296.0
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2020, 07:59:48 pm »
Drugs

I'm a pharmacist ;)

Then you’ve got everything you need to feel great on a bike!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2020, 08:00:48 pm »
I'm a pharmacist ;)

Ah, a licensed drug dealer :p

J
--

« Reply #10 on: 08 May, 2020, 09:33:57 pm »
If you've got a couple of weeks spare you could start here - https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=63.0, in particular (with reference to QG's specific recommendation) https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=102296.0

Well, I've had a quick scan and the only thread that really appeals to me is https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=114954.0 - using your phone as a GPS.

I like the idea of all the mapping, recording etc, but for the foreseeable have absolutely zero use for it - I'll be doing rides around here, where I either know the roads already, or will soon come out on one I do know... and I'd want to then also integrate everything else, so as well as the head unit, I'd be buying cadence and maybe HR sensors too, getting beyond my current budget!

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #11 on: 08 May, 2020, 09:35:43 pm »
Not available yet for obvious reasons but I'm going to book in for a proper bike fit once available. Will be about £200 with a follow up but I think it'll be worth it.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12 on: 08 May, 2020, 09:52:20 pm »
a recumbent, good luck if you can find one for £300
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #13 on: 08 May, 2020, 10:09:40 pm »
If you’ve sold the mountain bike then knobbly tyres for the other bike seems like the logical choice :P

My bike is comfy enough. I’m tempted to try a suspension stem, which would be half that and a fancy top. Or put the money in the bank and spend it on train and rooms in a couple of pubs when a weekend away on the bike is possible again.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #14 on: 08 May, 2020, 11:03:29 pm »
Or put the money in the bank and spend it on train and rooms in a couple of pubs when a weekend away on the bike is possible again.
I was thinking the same thing: return ticket to the nearest stop to Mt Ventoux and a couple of nights BnB. I imagine I might have to top up the fund to cover a horse steak and a decent red, but it would be worth it.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #15 on: 09 May, 2020, 06:41:40 am »
Have to agree with Paul, a few days cycling, steak and bottle of red.

« Reply #16 on: 09 May, 2020, 08:14:43 am »
Or put the money in the bank and spend it on train and rooms in a couple of pubs when a weekend away on the bike is possible again.
I was thinking the same thing: return ticket to the nearest stop to Mt Ventoux and a couple of nights BnB. I imagine I might have to top up the fund to cover a horse steak and a decent red, but it would be worth it.

If you took a fortnight to cycle it, camping, you might not be so far off at £300. Certainly you could do the Danube on that sort of money (although perhaps not getting back!). Of course that was before cheap air tickets were killed by the virus!

« Reply #17 on: 09 May, 2020, 12:23:19 pm »

If you took a fortnight to cycle it, camping, you might not be so far off at £300. Certainly you could do the Danube on that sort of money (although perhaps not getting back!). Of course that was before cheap air tickets were killed by the virus!

Did the Ventoux a few years ago.  Go in June I thought, it'll be cooler.  I was right but I didn't realise that cooler meant 35c every day.  Later in the year it got hotter and some places caught fire.  It was nice at the top though.

What else would I spend money on?

A good helmet or bike mounted video camera to record good rides or bits of them. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #18 on: 09 May, 2020, 12:46:13 pm »
Tyres.

« Reply #19 on: 09 May, 2020, 01:01:58 pm »
a recumbent, good luck if you can find one for £300

Always fancied a tadpole... might have to wait until retirement though...

Tyres.

There's a can of worms! On 28mm (widest I can fit, I think) Schwalbe Marathons at the moment.

As for holiday people - I do have a hobby related holiday in the planning, virus permitting, for this time next year (ie, 50th birthday present), but it's a different hobby ;) https://rsrspa.com/special-offers/#first-timer-package

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #20 on: 09 May, 2020, 01:19:43 pm »
There's a can of worms! On 28mm (widest I can fit, I think) Schwalbe Marathons at the moment.

Then swapping these for Conti GP5K's will be a massive improvement. You'll feel like you've taken the brakes off suddenly. The improvement in rolling resistance alone will be amazing. Marathon's are great for commuting, but they really are slow.

J
--

« Reply #21 on: 09 May, 2020, 08:38:00 pm »

Then swapping these for Conti GP5K's will be a massive improvement. You'll feel like you've taken the brakes off suddenly. The improvement in rolling resistance alone will be amazing. Marathon's are great for commuting, but they really are slow.

J

Tempting, tempting... :)

« Reply #22 on: 10 May, 2020, 10:24:29 am »
Thanks for the ideas, folks....

The results list (for now)

Looked up reviews of the Conti GP 5000's... yes, far too tempting - there's a set on the way  ;D As I'm currently settling back into my old seatpost and saddle combo (and getting a new saddle not the easiest thing at the moment if you want to go try them), I thought this would be the quickest/easiest way to make a noticeable difference to the bike itself.

2 pumps:
A new mini one from Lezyne - I have 2 old ones - one seems to be U/S, the other was not good from new - and I like the idea of a hose, as the direct attachment mini ones were always a pain to keep on the valve and pump with...
A posh track one heavily discounted from ProBikeKit - SKS Airmenus. My old track pump's gauge has stopped working at some point over the years, and I never could fit my size 12s through the stirrup on the bottom properly!

A cheap workstand from Amazon. I'm usually sceptical of the obvious Chinese tat there, but there are enough videos on YT dealing with the pros and cons for me to choose, and decide for the amount of work it'll actually see, it should be fine. The main complaint seems to be that the toothed angle adjusters can slip, so I've gone for one with metal plates behind them - I should then be able to G-clamp it up tighter if needs be - rather then the more expensive aluminium ones, where you can clearly see those teeth rings are just held in place with a roll pin through the tube.

And I had already (different budget, but it fits in here) ordered a big floor fan from Screwfix to make the garage better to ride in as the temps go up ;)

Which leaves me with a £100 or so... once turbo trainers come back into stock, I'll be taking my old one apart to see it I can replace the axle seal where all the oil is slowly leaking out every time I put some more in... If I break it, or simply can't repair it, I'll have nice little help there towards to the cost of a new one... might be the difference between dumb and smart :)

« Reply #23 on: 10 May, 2020, 10:33:45 am »
Tempted by two things; a smartwatch (tracking speed etc not just for cycling) and a fatbike.

There are bumpy tracks along the river here and a fatbike would be fun on them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #24 on: 10 May, 2020, 10:45:42 am »
don't forget latex inner tubes to go with the nice tyres (unless it's your daily bike and frequent top-up of air makes it a hassle)