Author Topic: BHF London to Southend 15th July  (Read 4633 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: BHF London to Southend 15th July
« Reply #25 on: 15 July, 2012, 02:52:23 pm »
A very good day out. Saw Domestique on both the occasions that she saw me, and Chris M OTP who recognised me.

Not too much idiocy. Highlight of the day was an excellent sighting of a red kite near Navestock Side, only the second I've seen in Essex.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26 on: 15 July, 2012, 04:55:48 pm »
I had a verbal exchange witha guy in Ingatestone, a fellow cyclist but he had a very buckled rear wheel.

Ingatestone High Street is very narrow with quite a few parked cars around. I had already been held up once by an annoying woman in a 4*4 who overtook me and within 30 yards had slammed on the brakes because parked cars were obstructing her, thereby causing me to stop unnecessarily. I took primary. Shortly afterwards I heard from behind me a loud voice shouting "Move over!" "No!" I replied, equally loudly. The owner of the voice, another cyclist, caught up with me and said "Move over! You are holding up the traffic!" to which I replied "I am the traffic!" Sadly I was not fast enough to be able to catch him and explain a few simple truths to him.

In another incident some chap, as he overtook me, remarked "You are going well on that!" which I interpreted as a disparaging remark about my lovely bicycle. I was forced, I'm afraid, to wind myself up to about 20 mph and go hurtling past him again.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #27 on: 15 July, 2012, 06:46:54 pm »
Sorry to read that Wow. 2_Flat_Erics had a bit of close passing/swerving car to deal with, which is far more than should be enough. Other than that it was very quiet.
I suppose there isnt the numbers of riders to put car driver off on this ride, compared to the Brighton ride say.
Getting to the end early has a big positive, you beat the Sunday afternoon drivers rushing to get their last minute shopping fix in. The animosity seems to build up the later in the day it gets with less assertive riders.
Did you see the guy on the Chopper, fair play to him for riding that. 

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #28 on: 15 July, 2012, 09:43:31 pm »
I did this ride, slowest I have done it in (3h10mins) thought I saw wowbagger, I believe he was about to examine the seasonal flora and fungi.........
Was scalped by a Peloton of Lea valley YCC cyclists, most of them not out of secondary school......well they can't have a beer when they finish ha!!! I thought, and there Mummy's won't let them do a 300K Audax, so they haven't done a proper 'mans' bike ride............................ ;D
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

« Reply #29 on: 16 July, 2012, 07:21:11 pm »