Author Topic: Carbon fork life  (Read 1624 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Carbon fork life
« on: 04 March, 2010, 01:22:42 pm »
A few of my bikes have carbon forks - to my knowledge none of them have been in prangs (nothing worse than bike falling over in a hallway at least).

What sort of mileage/life can I expect them to endure before needing replacement?  I had a moment of nerves going downhill recently when this issue suddenly occured to me.

Are there any obvious signs of wear/stress I can look for or will they suddenly just snap one day?

Possibly a very stupid question but I have been pondering this recently.

border-rider

Re: Carbon fork life
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2010, 01:25:59 pm »
Failure mode is usually the steerer going, and that's an issue mainly for aluminium steerers.

The point of failure is usually just around the fork crown race, so it's worth checking this area especially for signs of cracking

Personally, I'd treat Al-steerer forks as disposable items, with a lifespan depending on the miles you do and how you treat them.  Just like Al handlebars, really.

« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2010, 01:40:54 pm »
It's one component whose life I'd expect to be indefinite given normal maintenance.  Weren't carbon forks some kind of racing accessory that filtered down to us?  Do racing accessories need a long life?

All my forks are steel for some reason.
Move Faster and Bake Things

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2010, 01:44:24 pm »
It's one component whose life I'd expect to be indefinite given normal maintenance.

I wouldn't

The carbon part should be fine, unless you damage it, but an Al steerer will break, sooner or later

« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2010, 03:03:53 pm »
A very quick web-skim reveals no USA litigation, product failure penalties etc in respect of carbon/alu forks - it does however throw up a number of cases of faulty/recalled suspension forks! Including a hefty fine for one supplier.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #5 on: 04 March, 2010, 03:30:19 pm »
I think that it is good practice to remove carbon forks reglarly to check them.

I did meet a South African guy in Belgium who had some serious scars to his face - carbon forks broke on a descent. Luckily the duty surgeon at A&E that day was a plasic surgeon, otherwise apparently it would have been much worse.

The main thing to bear in mind is that carbon fibre generally doesn't start to go - it just snaps without warning.

Busted Carbon

Just  to keep you checking every so often.

« Reply #6 on: 04 March, 2010, 03:33:24 pm »
My Kinesis 12k forks survived that interaction with the vehicle last April.
I replaced them because I couldn't bring myself to trust them.
I still have them though  ::-) in a box in the loft.

I saw them bend / flex with the impact.

Carbon steerer and carbon forks.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 04 March, 2010, 03:38:49 pm »
The main thing to bear in mind is that carbon fibre generally doesn't start to go - it just snaps without warning.

Just  to keep you checking every so often.

Why?

If it goes it goes, without warning, so why keep staring at it?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #8 on: 04 March, 2010, 04:09:55 pm »
If you see damage to the fork, then it is suspect and may snap suddenly.

Even Al tends to develop a crack then bend gradually.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 05 March, 2010, 08:31:16 am »
It's one component whose life I'd expect to be indefinite given normal maintenance.

I wouldn't

The carbon part should be fine, unless you damage it, but an Al steerer will break, sooner or later

Probably why I don't use carbon or alumimium.  My experiences of GRP boats has made me (quite unreasonably no doubt) paranoid.  It's those fin rudders with SS shafts and plastic blades.

I'm proud to be a luddite.
Move Faster and Bake Things

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 05 March, 2010, 08:49:35 am »
I don't understand.  They make airliners out of this stuff these days.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 05 March, 2010, 08:53:31 am »
They do, and the airframe components have specified lifetimes and are subject to vigorous inspection regimes specifically because of the nature of the metal.

If you had to chose a material to make into a tube, clamp at both ends and then apply a big vibratory transverse load to one end of, just below the lower clamp point, you'd probably decide it would best not be aluminium...

Yes Al-steerer forks are carefully designed and should have a reasonable lifetime. Just like handlebars.  But use them long enough and they will fail.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #12 on: 05 March, 2010, 08:56:56 am »
Sorry Mal should have made myself clear - I was referring to carbon fibre and the Boeing 787

border-rider

« Reply #13 on: 05 March, 2010, 08:58:13 am »
Oh, OK, sorry.

I'd tend to agree

I'm pretty happy with carbon as a structural material myself - as long as you replace if you whack it hard.

« Reply #14 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:05:06 am »
There is carbon fibre and there is carbon fibre. If you want a bike made of aeronautical stuff, make sure you remortgage your house first

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #15 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:15:34 am »
I've got long personal experience of riding carbon fibre bikes - my first all-carbon frame and forks was bought in 1988 - and my partner Sheila has put in more miles than most, her last 4 PBPs have been ridden on carbon frames, and most of the SR series in between of course.

I've experienced two breakages, both of which were glue failures (ie at a joint between two tubes) and neither of which were catastrophic.  I've had similar joint failures on steel frames.  I'm overweight, and I now prefer to ride welded Alu frames.

In terms of lifetime - Sheila had one all-carbon bike which was bought in 1992, in recent years has been her '2nd' bike and so used for loaded touring, we finally decided to decommision it this winter, after it had received several nicks and scratches when thoughtlessly leant on a rock last summer.  But it was still ridden, with luggage, for the remainder of last year.  
So that's 18 years inc 3 PBPs, summer use but high mileage, often with touring loads.  She is quite lightweight of course.

I've never seen a broken carbon tube apart from under demonstration conditions.  The only tube failure I've ever personally experienced was Alu.  Now that was spectacular.

« Reply #16 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:35:06 am »
Good post ff, and counteracts some of the misleading stuff posted by people who have never ridden a cf frame but still have an opinion on it.

My favourite bike for audax is cf. Very very comfy. I have a steel-isn't-real bike too but I just can't get excited about steel frames. In fact I only ride it in shit conditions or on crappy lanes and tracks, not because it is more comfortable... it most definitely isn't, but because the tyres on it are beefier. I have a cf race bike too. It's audax- winningly fast but not as comfy as the other one, climbs like a dream. I even have a cf MTB.

However, alloy steerers on carbon forks do give me the willies