Author Topic: CTC or BC?  (Read 4786 times)

Re: CTC or BC?
« Reply #25 on: 27 September, 2011, 08:49:26 pm »
Western Cambridgeshire or East Bedfordshire or even Huntingdonshire (the boundary has moved a bit over the years).
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: 29 September, 2011, 04:40:39 pm »
Canardly, you'd be welcome to join CTC Cambridge when we head out your way (which is about once a month). We announce on our runs lists where we'll be stopping for morning coffee, lunch, and tea, so you could ride out to join us at coffee, ride with us to lunch and then head home when we head back to Cambridge. For example, from the October rides list, on Sunday 16th we're having coffee at Woodhurst (c. 11:00), lunch at West Perry (c. 13:00), and tea at Caxton (16:30), which ought to suit you.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #27 on: 29 September, 2011, 07:58:58 pm »
I might rejoin CTC for the mag. I miss the ranting dinosaurs in the letters page. Hilarious  :P

Does life here not fulfil that need?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #28 on: 30 September, 2011, 10:36:11 am »
So BC seem to be pro helmet if they advise wearing one all the time instead of saying that it's entirely up to you.
I stay with the CTC because they campaign for cycling as well as their insurance. They fought a good battle regarding the latest edition of the Highway Code.
Plus CTC have a good knowledge of touring and travelling etc. BC is more about racing, which I don't really do.
If all I wanted was insurance, then I'd probably go BC.

This is my view also.  I'm not convinced that the charity conversion is the End of Times, or at least not the extent claimed even if the way they went about it was pretty poor.  I'm happy enough with the CTC, been a member for 30 years, and I'll stay with them.
+1 (except member for just over 20 years).
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #29 on: 30 September, 2011, 07:50:41 pm »
Canardly, you'd be welcome to join CTC Cambridge when we head out your way (which is about once a month). We announce on our runs lists where we'll be stopping for morning coffee, lunch, and tea, so you could ride out to join us at coffee, ride with us to lunch and then head home when we head back to Cambridge. For example, from the October rides list, on Sunday 16th we're having coffee at Woodhurst (c. 11:00), lunch at West Perry (c. 13:00), and tea at Caxton (16:30), which ought to suit you.

Many thanks I will keep an eye out for that.

« Reply #30 on: 30 September, 2011, 08:30:23 pm »
The CTC were giving away a hi viz rucksack with a fancy light in it (value £40) for signing up for membership at the Cycleshow today.  Renewing members were excluded from this offer. I might have renewed.  Wonder what BC will give me ;D

Mercenary, moi? ;D

« Reply #31 on: 30 September, 2011, 08:39:43 pm »
Strewth ethics a place near thussex.......

« Reply #32 on: 30 September, 2011, 08:42:12 pm »
Strewth ethics a place near thussex.......

;D

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #33 on: 30 September, 2011, 09:21:50 pm »
The CTC were giving away a hi viz rucksack with a fancy light in it (value £40) for signing up for membership at the Cycleshow today.  Renewing members were excluded from this offer. I might have renewed.  Wonder what BC will give me ;D

Mercenary, moi? ;D

You should have grabbed a nearby student and got them to sign up for £12.