Author Topic: Up-gearing  (Read 2116 times)

Up-gearing
« on: 29 September, 2008, 04:19:58 pm »
So I've been riding fixed for nearly a year now and with a rolling but not mountainous commute have come up with a cunning plan.  Basically, every 1000km ridden, I intend to increase the gearing.

The hope is that this will help with the winter strength training and also help me get faster.  I've gone from 68" - 76" so far and can still make it up everything I need to.  The bonus has been that I can now spin to about 57kph without fear of death.  This means no need to brake down hills anymore whilst commuting, although when I do take on something a bit steeper I still chicken out.

I'm about as far back as I can get on the horizontal drops now, so plan to increase the front ring for the next change, which if I do it right should earn me a free change the time after with my choice of 2 available rear cogs.

So other than the need to re-fettle the brakes for different horizontal positions, this appears to be worth pursuing.  Has anybody tried a similar approach?

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

Re: Up-gearing
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2008, 05:55:28 pm »
Has anybody tried a similar approach?

Nah. The lifecycle of my fixed gear bike is

Build with left over parts
Grovel up/frighten self down hilly commute
Learn to spin faster
Buy a track bike for Calshot training
Get bored with fixed road riding and go back to the freewheel
Take apart fixed gear bike

It'll start over in about January

« Reply #2 on: 29 September, 2008, 08:29:48 pm »
I've ridden 43x17 for around 25 years. Never seen the need to change it. 55kph downhill behind Rich on his recumbent at the weekend was quite comfortable. He'll have to remind me what the max speed was.

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2008, 08:35:16 pm »
I was into a steady process of riding longer gears - right up to the point when, 200km into a 600 in June, I buggered my knee. Mended now, but when I return to Fixed Gear randonneering, it'll be on 69", and that's the way it'll stay.

« Reply #4 on: 29 September, 2008, 08:36:06 pm »
For me, a big gear has more to do about my crusing speed "on the flat" than my downhilling. I gear up over the summer (for TTing but also) to enjoy higher riding averages. This summer I moved form my base 71'' to about 80'' for example; although I didn't take the bike in the Peak District then!

For hilly rides or general base training, I'd stick to a low 70 or high 60 to climb (better on your body I'd argue)but also to practise spinning; in particular in the winter!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2008, 08:38:51 pm »
I had the same thoughts (I went from 71.4" to 74.5") until I noticed that, Mr Abraham excepted, all of the wizened fixers seem to ride 69" or less.

I'm now on 67.4" (46x18) and learning to spin and trying to get to 60kph (which needs 185rpm).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 29 September, 2008, 08:43:48 pm »
I had the same thoughts (I went from 71.4" to 74.5") until I noticed that, Mr Abraham excepted, all of the wizened fixers seem to ride 69" or less.

I'm now on 67.4" (46x18) and learning to spin and trying to get to 60kph (which needs 185rpm).

And having lost a bunch of weight, you are more qualified to ride longer gears.

Weight is not a friend of long gears - at least, not if you want your knees to stay intact.