Author Topic: Tour of Britain stage 3  (Read 2277 times)

Tour of Britain stage 3
« on: 09 September, 2008, 09:09:09 am »
I've sorted out the detailed map of Tiverton. Roads closed in the centre and the route goes the wrong way round the one-way system. Sprint just before Blundell's School (famous from Lorna Doone). Long Drag hill on the way out towards South Molton.

For the detailed route of the whole race go to the website media page and download the race manual zip file.

It's pouring down here intermittently.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Tour of Britain stage 3
« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2008, 10:20:21 am »
I've made a banner saying

FORZA DILUCA

in foot high letters and I will be standing on the corner near my house :) :)

« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2008, 10:30:17 am »
I'm going to make my way up Longdrag. Unless I go into the town centre. Which is full of traffic calming islands and stuff. And narrow. They've put up barriers.

« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2008, 12:41:30 pm »
I went up Longdrag in the end. Knots of spectators all the way up out of town. Said hello to Mr Gates.

After all the motorbikes and team cars came the peloton on the right of the road — they seem to have got rolling road closures sorted out — then a few stragglers in amongst the following cars. It seemed like ten minutes later, but perhaps not that long, when more motorbikes, flashing lights, and a tail-end gruppo of six raced the broom wagon up the hill.

Mr Gates and co headed off to cut them off at the pass*, and I headed back into town. I learnt that two had come off there, but got straight back on.  There were barriers the full length of High St and beyond, a podium being dismantled, and a cluster of policemen with bicycles.

Now...back to work.

*Wheddon Cross.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2008, 03:43:36 pm »
Mr Gates's lurgy caught up with him five miles later and he limped home for Lemsip.  Chapeau to the riders for giving it some welly on a really rotten day.

The lead car and lots of flashing lights...

The peloton looking grim:

TSV at the back of the pack:

There were six riders about five minutes off the pace at the back, being stalked by the broom wagon.  They didn't look to be suffering, but they weren't quick.  I wonder how they got on?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #5 on: 10 September, 2008, 08:41:10 am »

The stage winner Emilien Berges (Agritubel) 100 metres from the finish.

I had hoped to cycle from Bristol to Burnham, but due to the rain at 0600, I decided to drive to Cheddar and cycle from there. A coffee and scrambled eggs in the excellent Fortes Cafe, where I met up with a friend. We then left and headed for Wedmore, by which time the rain had stopped. On through Sand, Westhay, Shapwick, Catcott, Chitton Polden, Cossington, Gold Corner and East Huntspill, before cycling through the winning line and to the Wetherspoons pub for lunch.
Finished lunch and left pub to find place on barriers, found I had puncture in front tyre ( bloody Gatorskins ), had a quick look round the exhibits and then waited for the riders to arrive.
A fast ride back to Cheddar via Mark and Blackford.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2008, 08:46:11 am »
I stood about on the corner in the rain for a while.  They seemed a bit behind schedule.

Les and her mum with banner

The bunch going past to applause

Afterwards I went out on the route and found 5 water bottles.

« Reply #7 on: 10 September, 2008, 08:55:17 am »

TV coverage much improved from Sunday's stage.
(Though the pictures seemed to go back-and-forth quite a lot on the Quantocks.)
Pity vorsprung's sign didn't get shown - not much did, from Hemyock to South Molton.
Some of the descents (eg Hemyock) must have been wetly exciting!
Good crowds out in the Weather.

« Reply #8 on: 10 September, 2008, 01:32:12 pm »
Really enjoyed that stage although the coverage does make me yearn for good old Phil 'n' Paul...

I can remember descending off the moor into N. Molton the way they climbed out and being staggered at how long it was possible to cruise downhill at 30mph in a dead straight line without pedalling...
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...