Author Topic: The cyclefarcility photo thread  (Read 12006 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: The cyclefarcility photo thread
« Reply #50 on: 03 July, 2009, 09:01:15 am »
Not a farcility as such, but at the gate of a park where bike rides for the Wandle Festival assembled.  Just felt it slightly ironic.

Getting there...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #51 on: 03 July, 2009, 10:48:51 am »

Looks like a bicycle to me

and a sign that means no cycling.

No, it is a sign which has a picture of not cycling in a sign which means the activity is prohibited. So no not cycling, or in other words, get on your bike.

;D
..d

No, Britain has decided to follow a stupid signage practice.  The diagonal bar (common in countries other than Britain) makes it quite clear that 'whatever' is prohibited.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #52 on: 03 July, 2009, 03:39:25 pm »

Looks like a bicycle to me

and a sign that means no cycling.

No, it is a sign which has a picture of not cycling in a sign which means the activity is prohibited. So no not cycling, or in other words, get on your bike.

;D
..d

No, Britain has decided to follow a stupid signage practice.  The diagonal bar (common in countries other than Britain) makes it quite clear that 'whatever' is prohibited.

To be fair to Britain, it is actually following the international convention of road signage.  It's other countries which aren't...

But then again the international convention is a bit daft and illogical.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #53 on: 06 July, 2009, 07:46:33 am »
Did anyone on the Dun Run notice the pointless 10-yard psyclepath at the A12 Darsham turning?

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #54 on: 01 August, 2009, 02:01:16 pm »
I present the wondrous cycling farcilities on St Mary's Island Gillingham, where the cycle path changes from one side of the pavement to the other.

fuzzy

« Reply #55 on: 03 August, 2009, 09:16:52 am »
If someone could sort out this image for me-

Google Maps

If you zoom in to just east of where the road goes under the railway line, you will see that the eejit Council eiter ran out of paint or clues. The compulsory cycle lane solid white line stops but there is still a cycle image painted on the road. This is within the section of A$ Bath Road that has a solid white line to stop traffic crossing into the opposing carriageway. it effectively makes that few yards of A4 the best compulsory cycle lane in the country ;D

Oh well, forget sorting the image. How do you do a map capture from Google maps so that it takes you straight to the bit of image you want?

« Reply #56 on: 03 August, 2009, 09:34:52 am »
Mobile phone pics, so do excuse quality:
And here is Greater Manchester Police's attempt at secure cycle parking:

I may be overlooking the obvious but, what is the problem with this? Frame locked with sturdy D lock. Wheels secured to D lock with cable ???

Because of the raised loop the shackle is exposed to jacking.   The shackle should be full of frame and wheel thus leaving little or no room for a toerag to try jacking etc.    The loop should be positioned just above the height of a typical front mech and sufficiently clear of the wall so that when in use the lock can pass though loop, frame and rear wheel.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #57 on: 03 August, 2009, 09:56:40 am »
How do you do a map capture from Google maps so that it takes you straight to the bit of image you want?

Click the button near the top right called "Link" to get a useful URL.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

fuzzy

« Reply #58 on: 03 August, 2009, 10:30:05 am »
How do you do a map capture from Google maps so that it takes you straight to the bit of image you want?

Click the button near the top right called "Link" to get a useful URL.

Thanks Biggsy!

here
Look at the westbound section just past the sideroad where the cars are turning into. A cycle lane marker with no line until the middle of the road!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #59 on: 03 August, 2009, 10:55:52 am »
There are a few cycle symbols without lane lines in London now.  While I'm not sure what they're supposed to mean exactly, they are preferable to cycle lanes, I think.  Cyclists are encouraged to think about their position more for themselves, and motorists are reminded that they are sharing the road (or the lane) with cyclists.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #60 on: 03 August, 2009, 10:56:47 am »
They indicate cycle routes.
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #61 on: 03 August, 2009, 11:05:47 am »
I've seen them on big main roads that I didn't even know were part of a "cycle route", if they are.

Anyway I always get lost when I try to follow one of those blue-sign routes.  You eventually reach a junction without a sign or anything painted on the road, so have to take pot luck unless you already know the area well, in which case you wouldn't need a marked route at all.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #62 on: 03 August, 2009, 11:11:37 am »
Always worth picking up the free TfL maps when you see them in a bike shop (On Your Bike in Tooley St, near London Bridge has a particularly good stock).  Blue signs are often removed/turned/otherwise vandalised/not posted adequately in the first place.  Someimes you will see a sticker on a lamppost about 30m up the road you should have turned into and no other signage.
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #63 on: 03 August, 2009, 11:32:13 am »
I got the full set of maps out of curiosity but wouldn't bother to actually take one out with me for anything other than a special occasion.

It defeats the object of a marked route if you have to stop and study a map to make up for a missing sign.  It's a stupid idea unless done properly.  That means putting up enough signs in the first place and regularly checking them afterwards.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #64 on: 03 August, 2009, 11:36:13 am »
I dunno.  Yesterday we drove from Oswestry back to south london.  The signs weren't enough; we had to use maps.  Yes, I'd prefer that the TfL routes were better signposted (and had fewer tandem traps ::-) ), but I'm happy with the maps. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #65 on: 03 August, 2009, 02:24:14 pm »
... Blue signs are often removed/turned/otherwise vandalised/not posted adequately in the first place.  Someimes you will see a sticker on a lamppost about 30m up the road you should have turned into and no other signage.

I think this is partially because only the council (or someone approved to do work for them) can do things like put up signage, but a local Sustrans Ranger can put up a sticker on a lamppost.  Didn't Oscars Dad say something about this in one of his posts about being a ranger?
Actually, it is rocket science.

Afasoas

« Reply #66 on: 07 February, 2024, 10:39:52 am »
Time for a thread resurrection.

NCN Route 5 where it passes over Deepmoor Drain and the River Penk in Stafford. ~180 meter span of bridge. Not sure these two signs even belong together?

Tixall Road, Stafford.
It's beggars belief that on-road parking is provided but along that stretch of road, only 2 vehicles were parked fully within the on-road parking - one of those being a Ford Transit sized pick-up. Over 2 dozen vehicles were parked partially or fully blocking the cycle path.

Further north along that same road, there is some discontinuous cycle lane:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #67 on: 07 February, 2024, 03:11:48 pm »

NCN Route 5 where it passes over Deepmoor Drain and the River Penk in Stafford. ~180 meter span of bridge. Not sure these two signs even belong together?

The cycle part of the top sign looks lopsided.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #68 on: 08 February, 2024, 02:17:56 pm »

The cycle part of the top sign looks lopsided.

It's an indication of how to pass someone coming the other way