Author Topic: Total metres climbed  (Read 2734 times)

bikebagg

Total metres climbed
« on: 07 August, 2008, 03:39:28 pm »
I have MemoryMap V5 but cannot find how to display the total number of metres climbed in a day.

I have heard that it is possible with MM but maybe not this version. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Total metres climbed
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2008, 05:47:42 pm »
Its rather bizarre and not a little illogical.
You can 'Convert Track to Route' and then you'll find in the Route Properties dialog, the total climb.  Why the same thing doesn't appear in the Track Properties dialog, I have no idea.

The total climb figure is derived from the map DEM, and not from the information embedded in the track itself - so is likely to be not all that accurate.
(Really either way its done, it is likely to be an over-estimate.)

There is a freeware utility GPS Altitude Chart
http://www.2steger.de/gac/
that will do the job using what is embedded in the track, but it does require you to have Java installed.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2008, 12:29:47 am »
or...
use Garmin's MotionBased software. You'll need to set up an account (free) and probaly use MotionBased Agent to upload etc. I tried this with my VistaCX and uploaded and old (March) file. Speed and elevation date including averages et al are available.
Caveat: there were three files on the Vista but only one was 'seen'. Perhaps it only takes the first on the list?

Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:28:12 am »
The height figure derived directly from the GPS track is usually complete garbage, due to GPS wander and the relatively low accuracy of GPS elevation fixes. Software can filter this, but it's generally better to compute the ascent from digital elevation data and horizontal positions (which is presumably why MM works the way it does).

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2008, 02:10:52 pm »
I think that may be generally true but I should think that in very rugged terrain the balance could swing the other way - a track generated going up Winnats Pass for example, would only have to wander very slightly in terms of horizontal position, for the DEM to give a wildly inaccurate result.

Jo Woods' page is very interesting on this topic -
http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~jwo/landserf/audax/#q10

I think the track is filtered in-GPS anyway, unless you actually override this behaviour in Setup.  Each trackpoint laid down is the result of several fixes - typically 5 or more in the default 'auto' setup.

bikebagg

« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2008, 04:18:31 pm »

You can 'Convert Track to Route' and then you'll find in the Route Properties dialog, the total climb. 

Thanks Frankie but for some reason my Route Properties dialog box does not include a total climb figure.  It has
       Total Distance
       Elapsed time
      Average Speed
      Max Speed etc etc

I can also get Elevation Profile and gps Altitude Profile graphs

but no Total climb figure, is it buried deep in some sub menu/dialog ?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2008, 06:32:03 pm »
Are you sure thats not a Track Properties dialog you're looking at?

View full size image here
http://www.aukadia.net/pix/mm.gif

bikebagg

« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2008, 05:22:40 pm »
Are you sure thats not a Track Properties dialog you're looking at?

Frankie,
Thank you. 
I was under a misapprehension.  I downloaded a route from my Legend HCx and assumed it would be a route in MemoryMap.  It is not, it is an Overlay and, therefore, (it seems) a Track.  I was looking at the Overlay Properties dialog box.

I did the conversion to a route, as you suggest, and Total Accent is shown.

Thank you once more.