Author Topic: glampers coming out thread  (Read 7038 times)

Re: glampers coming out thread
« Reply #25 on: 01 July, 2011, 11:43:29 am »
I hate car mass camping. the sort of camping where the packing takes an hour, you have everything, but it's still not as comfy as sitting at home.

Now I was *really* impressed by Kim's camping at the rally. She seemed to have almost no luggage on her bent yet still produced a sizeable tent, full trangia *and* a folding stool. Seemed mighty suspicious to me, I think she's been messing with Strange Science and her panniers are larger on the inside than out.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Simonb

« Reply #26 on: 01 July, 2011, 12:52:23 pm »
but it's still not as comfy as sitting at home

It's not about being as comfy as at home. It's about being outdoors, in a nice location, on holiday without costing an arm and a leg.

« Reply #27 on: 01 July, 2011, 02:42:00 pm »
but it's still not as comfy as sitting at home

It's not about being as comfy as at home. It's about being outdoors, in a nice location, on holiday without costing an arm and a leg.

+1

We can go on holiday to Europe as a family of 4 and the pitch cost for 2 1/2 weeks costs the same as what a 2 bed apartment costs for a week plus the kids get to play with other kids on the site.
It gives us more money to spend on other things like ice cream.
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #28 on: 01 July, 2011, 03:18:02 pm »
I think we're all getting mixed up here.

Glamping is not camping! Its style over substance; form over function, something for the doyennes of those glossy magazines to demonstrate that they are still 'real' and can doss with the proles.

Sometimes I take my small one man tent on the bike with panniers, other times I take my folding camper for longer holidays with the family with a degree of comfort. Neither of these options is glamping. Its just matching my set-up for the activity on the day. I'm not doing it to show-off, just to have fun.

Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #29 on: 02 July, 2011, 10:13:43 am »
I think we're all getting mixed up here.

Glamping is not camping! Its style over substance; form over function, something for the doyennes of those glossy magazines to demonstrate that they are still 'real' and can doss with the proles.

Sometimes I take my small one man tent on the bike with panniers, other times I take my folding camper for longer holidays with the family with a degree of comfort. Neither of these options is glamping. Its just matching my set-up for the activity on the day. I'm not doing it to show-off, just to have fun.

probably as good a definition as we'll get. so, by that definition, my vango airbeam is not glamping as we got it for the fact that we have a baby and it will stop us having to pass her on to the bored teen while mrs alec and i put up tent, with our 8 year old disappearing while our backs are turned.

i suppose if i'd bought it to show off, that would be glamping then…
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #30 on: 04 July, 2011, 02:00:37 pm »
Barakta and I own an assortment of glamping equipment.  There's even a table that I molished using woodwork.  Also, we part-own a ginormous tent, which disappeared in mysterious circumstances.

However, we lack the critical item - the motor vehicle - that makes most of the rest useful.

Lightweight's much more fun.
Yebbut, you take a STOOL!

Me, glamp? Nope, but I do drink wine....from a plastic mug.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 04 July, 2011, 02:13:28 pm »
Yebbut, you take a STOOL!

Because I can't sit cross-legged - I like being able to walk/ride the next day.  It's not like it's one of those three-wheeled armchairs or anything  :P

Anyway, the definition of lightweight is clear: if you're carrying it under your own power, it's lightweight.

Tourist Tony

« Reply #32 on: 04 July, 2011, 02:18:07 pm »
Look, I carry ME under my own power, and no way is that lightweight!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #33 on: 04 July, 2011, 02:22:40 pm »
Do I qualify for cycle-glamping?
12V compressor to pump my airbed - fed off my bike-lights battery.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 04 July, 2011, 02:24:51 pm »
Do I qualify for cycle-glamping?
12V compressor to pump my airbed - fed off my bike-lights battery.

Undoubtedly :)

Tourist Tony

« Reply #35 on: 04 July, 2011, 03:33:32 pm »
Did two musical instruments* count as glamping?

*for a specific value of "musical"