Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 834912 times)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #5300 on: 08 May, 2019, 01:05:47 pm »
Ta, but she spoke of the old copy of the book as being her "crombie".  Had it been a copy of the Times and she lived under a bridge I could understand the vestimentary reference, but I gather she doesn't. Could a crombie also mean a vademecum or a staff to be relied on, like Bradshaw's or the OS 1-inch series?

The OED only mentions the coat.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5301 on: 08 May, 2019, 01:09:36 pm »
You'd have to ask her what she means by the term - it might not correspond to what others mean or understand by it. This is the trouble with slang - people hear words being used and pick them up but without an understanding of what they mean or where they come from to inform their usage.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #5302 on: 08 May, 2019, 01:32:18 pm »
Or she could be like me and occasionally make-up words because she thinks they sound like the right sort of word for the intended meaning.

« Reply #5303 on: 08 May, 2019, 01:50:23 pm »
Indeed. A perfectly cromulent thing to do.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5304 on: 08 May, 2019, 01:53:40 pm »
Ta, but she spoke of the old copy of the book as being her "crombie".  Had it been a copy of the Times and she lived under a bridge I could understand the vestimentary reference, but I gather she doesn't. Could a crombie also mean a vademecum or a staff to be relied on, like Bradshaw's or the OS 1-inch series?

The OED only mentions the coat.

That's all anyone mentions.

You'd have to ask her what she means by the term - it might not correspond to what others mean or understand by it. This is the trouble with slang - people hear words being used and pick them up but without an understanding of what they mean or where they come from to inform their usage.

Missus did. Helpful reply was: "everyone uses it".

Or she could be like me and occasionally make-up words because she thinks they sound like the right sort of word for the intended meaning.

I just can't crombie some people.  I'm going to crombie over to the workshop & make some dust crombie.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5305 on: 08 May, 2019, 01:55:12 pm »
Apple crombie, now, that'd be something else.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5306 on: 08 May, 2019, 01:57:39 pm »
Is the cromby issue distressing you?
https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Psychology_Mental_Health_and_Distress.html?id=3CmHMgEACAAJ&source=kp_book_description&redir_esc=y
Psychology, Mental Health and Distress
Front Cover
John Cromby, Dave Harper, Paula Reavey
Macmillan Education UK, 27 Feb 2013 - Psychology - 452 pages
0 Reviews
Is depression simply the result of chemical imbalances, or Schizophrenia a wholly biological disorder? What role do the broader circumstances of an individual’s social, cultural and heuristic world play in the wider scheme of their psychological wellbeing? In this ground-breaking and highly innovative text, Cromby et al deliver an introduction to the the biopsychosocial paradigm for understanding and treating psychological distress, taking into consideration the wider contexts that engender the onset of mental illness and critiquing the limitations in the sole use of the biomedical model in psychological practice. Rather than biologically determined or clinically measurable, readers are encouraged to consider mental illness as a subjective experience that is expressed according to the individual experiences of the sufferer rather than the rigidity of diagnostic categories. Similarly, approaches to recovery expand beyond psychiatric medication to consider the fundamental function of methods such as psychotherapy, community psychology and service-user movements in the recovery process. Offering a holistic account of the experience of psychological distress, this text draws upon not only statistical evidence but places an integral emphasis on the service-user experience; anecdotal accounts of which feature throughout in order to provide readers with the perspective of the mental health sufferer.

Taking an integrative approach to the psychology of mental health, the authors draw from a wealth of experience, examples and approaches to present this student-friendly and engaging text. This is core reading for anyone serious about understanding mental health issues and is suitable for undergraduate students taking introductory courses in psychology and abnormal psychology.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5307 on: 08 May, 2019, 02:00:18 pm »
DM: Graun headline: Creepy men slide into women's DMs all the time, but they can be shut down.  Doc Martens? Drogerie Markt?  Diuretic Marmalade???

Direct messages (ie private communication on social media channels)

Crombie: Friend of missus's used it to refer to an old copy of a book, and when queried replied "but everyone uses it" without elaborating. The only crombie I know of takes a capital and is a coat.  Can someone please explain?

A synonym for hesh.  ;)

I believe it comes from Abercrombie & Fitch - a clothing brand that is popular among today's youth.

'Hesh', as any fule kno, is an acronym for "High explosive squash head", wot is a type of ammunition used in anti-tank weapons. Firing old books at armour-plated mechanical behemoths is rarely a sound tactic.  Even Dickens is no match for a T-72.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5308 on: 08 May, 2019, 02:30:54 pm »
No, it's an alternative form of jute.  :D
http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/magazine/hésh/
THE TERM “HESH” AND THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST seem to go hand-in-hand. But what does hesh mean? It’s not easily defined, and there’s certainly lots of room for interpretation. Most would agree it’s derived from the word “Hessian,”

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #5309 on: 08 May, 2019, 03:26:02 pm »
And there was me thinking that it was marijuana smoked by aristos.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5310 on: 08 May, 2019, 04:59:06 pm »
DM: Graun headline: Creepy men slide into women's DMs all the time, but they can be shut down.  Doc Martens? Drogerie Markt?  Diuretic Marmalade???

Direct messages (ie private communication on social media channels)

Crombie: Friend of missus's used it to refer to an old copy of a book, and when queried replied "but everyone uses it" without elaborating. The only crombie I know of takes a capital and is a coat.  Can someone please explain?

A synonym for hesh.  ;)

I believe it comes from Abercrombie & Fitch - a clothing brand that is popular among today's youth.

'Hesh', as any fule kno, is an acronym for "High explosive squash head", wot is a type of ammunition used in anti-tank weapons. Firing old books at armour-plated mechanical behemoths is rarely a sound tactic.  Even Dickens is no match for a T-42.

FTFY.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5311 on: 25 May, 2019, 04:49:44 pm »
People using us when it should be we. Nobody (well, no competent speakers of Englísh, that is) would say "what us have to do is..." but they would happily say "what us cyclists have to do is...".  Do they think we... sounds Tory, or what? Inverted grammatical snobbery?

It's utterly wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5312 on: 02 June, 2019, 06:21:18 pm »
Use lower case for East, west, south and north unless they form part of a proper name:
North Korea, South Africa, but northeast India.
From a style guide.  :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5313 on: 11 June, 2019, 08:16:16 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-48602172/driver-films-people-crawling-out-of-manhole-cover-in-border-town

Look, it's not complicated:  A manhole is a void underneath the ground to allow people to access buried utilities, etc.  A manhole cover is the bloody great solid thing that goes on top to cover it up...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5314 on: 12 June, 2019, 08:02:21 am »
Strange-ish: the URL contains 'cover' but the page it lands on doesn't.  Someone at the Beeb has been doing some backing & filling.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5315 on: 12 June, 2019, 04:09:45 pm »
Strange-ish: the URL contains 'cover' but the page it lands on doesn't.  Someone at the Beeb has been doing some backing & filling.
Yeah, the text on the page has been edited. The captions in the video itself were always fine.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5316 on: 13 June, 2019, 03:17:21 pm »
Discussing the registration of "illegible refugees" to receive benefits.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5317 on: 19 June, 2019, 02:49:38 pm »
"Shop" as in "Shop $newshinything" when what is meant is "Shop FOR $newshinything." Or even "Buy $newshinything."  It's a useage that's becoming more common, especially on websites.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5318 on: 19 June, 2019, 04:12:59 pm »
Same thing happened to search.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5319 on: 20 June, 2019, 05:34:24 pm »
From Fowler's entry on portmanteau:
Pakistan is a mixture of a portmanteau word and an acronym: it is said to be compounded of elements from Punjab, Afghan Frontier, Kashmir, Sind and Baluchistan.
The spurious backronym is clearly neither a recent phenomenon nor restricted to urban myth and bad journalism. The origin of Pakistan is the word pak meaning pure, clean, in both physical and spiritual senses, as in Pak Butchers. Pakistan is the Land of the Pure.

« Reply #5320 on: 20 June, 2019, 08:58:04 pm »
"This train is heavily commuterised until..."

There was me thinking that I was using the train, but instead I seems to be one of the bullying crowd commuterisng the poor thing until we got off...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5321 on: 26 June, 2019, 11:36:26 am »
"they have embraced the opportunity to create their own special brand of uniqueness"
No everyday uniqueness here.
https://www.bristol247.com/opinion/your-say/stokes-croft-is-a-shining-example-for-other-areas-to-follow/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5322 on: 10 July, 2019, 08:16:18 pm »
A Korean woman is being interviewed in English. She works in Geneva and although her English is pretty decent, she's clearly more used to using French in daily life. "I think it happened end of two-thousand-dix-sept or 'dix-huit." And the way it comes off her tongue, she doesn't even realize she's moved from one not-Korean to another.  :)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5323 on: 10 July, 2019, 09:27:37 pm »
I don't get why that should make you cringe, a non-English speaking native, speaking in two languages for our delight. 

My wife occaisionally throws Hindi and Punjabi words into sentences at random just because she's thinking in both
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5324 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:56:59 am »
It doesn't make me cringe at all. (In fact, very little in this thread does.) It makes me  :)