Author Topic: Anyone used Decathalon for bikes or bike parts  (Read 3155 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Anyone used Decathalon for bikes or bike parts
« on: 16 May, 2008, 06:32:24 pm »
Hello

Anyone used decathalon for cycles, cycle parts, clothing or tools?

What is your opinion of them?

vince

Re: Anyone used Decathalon for bikes or bike parts
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2008, 06:35:16 pm »
There's a review in Reviews. Ok, some bargains, not the widest of stock.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2008, 07:39:52 pm »
I bought some allen keys from them, very cheap, but I think that they were made from the same cream cheese that Cateye use to make their light brackets. :(

« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2008, 07:42:11 pm »
Yes. In France; where they are great. In the UK, I have been very disappointed. Only bought some fleece tops and sports base layer. The rest was rather unimpressive and reminiscent of a JJB store.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2008, 07:46:10 pm »
Generally they offer great value,  I like their clothes (not just cycling) but the only wheel I've ever 'pringled' was a Decathlon wheel. As well as their own brands (of which they have several I think b-twin is the cycling one) they also sell a lot of branded stuff such as Shimano

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2008, 08:00:45 pm »
I've got a couple of Decathlon short sleeved jerseys and a couple of pairs of baggy shorts. The jerseys are ok, the shorts are excellent value for money.

This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Arthur

« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2008, 08:11:41 pm »
I've got one of their 2005 7.3R road bikes. Nice quality for the price and I've ridden a few thousand miles on it without any problems.

« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2008, 08:15:24 pm »
I buy quite a lot of their kit. I used some of the Decathlon brand shorts (the old series 7 Euro shorts), the socks, kneewarmers and MTB shoes during PBP. My helmet I bought at Decathlon just like my inner tubes. I mostly was drinking their energydrink. And loads of other assorted stuff including my tent and some of my sleeping bags. I work (as a postman) using their shoes. I go to the Liege shop abt. 6 times a year to stock up.

« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2008, 08:20:18 pm »
I have used their cycling shoes and have been very impressed for the price. Also used fleece ski tops for under my Nevis for winter commuting. Overshoes, glove liners. Also had some branded brake cables and a few other things there. I like Decathlon, sadly the closest is 30 miles away.

« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2008, 08:49:20 pm »
I think things can be a bit hit and miss, but generally if it's cheap, I'll take the risk.

I've bought some very cheap cycling shorts from there, and they were hopeless, they didn't feel the right shape, and wouldn't stay in the right places, but they were something like £2-99, so hardly a massive loss.

On the other hand, I've got a yellow fleece that I bought in there for around £10, and I've been wearing it for the last several years when cycling, and it's perfect.  It's not a thick fleece, but I didn't want that, I wanted a lightweight fleece to wear over the top of a base layer when it's not quite warm enough for a base layer alone, and it's perfect for that.  I also don't worry about totalling it in an accident, unlike say £200 worth of Berghaus fleece.  (...and actually it did survive my last off, although was covered in blood until I washed it twice).
Actually, it is rocket science.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #10 on: 16 May, 2008, 08:58:44 pm »
Don't buy the kid's road bikefor a kid. Wrong proportions and wrong gearing. Everything else pretty much OK.  ;D

simon sw6

« Reply #11 on: 17 May, 2008, 07:29:06 am »
kids bikes and scooters are ok , very cheap and given how quickly they grow out of them that matters. Some of the accessories are good AND cheap

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #12 on: 17 May, 2008, 01:46:34 pm »
I use them to buy branded parts or things like chainring bolts, bottle cages etc
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Zoidburg

« Reply #13 on: 17 May, 2008, 01:59:21 pm »
They are good if you know what you want and dont need help from the staff

They do have a habit of employing "bilingual" staff, which in my experience meant a French student who didnt actually speak english

« Reply #14 on: 17 May, 2008, 02:11:30 pm »
The clothing is excellent and the accessories are good value. 

But never buy the own-brand inner tubes.  They're worse than useless. 

« Reply #15 on: 17 May, 2008, 02:17:28 pm »
As per any other cheap shop, you get what you pay for and take your gambles based on gut feeling when holding the goods (i.e. you need to visit).

I got some shorts for 6 Euros, and they are utter rubbish (as I expected).   I got a rack for 17 euros and it is better than I expected.

The only gripe I have is that they are lazy on price conversions, they have the same ticket in France as in the UK, other than the currency symbol >:(   That 17 euro rack was £17 when I looked at home.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #16 on: 17 May, 2008, 03:14:32 pm »
The clothing is excellent and the accessories are good value. 

But never buy the own-brand inner tubes.  They're worse than useless. 

I'm currently using their own brand tubes and they seem fine.

I have a local decathalon in Surrey Quays but am amazed at the french ones.  There cycle stuff was cheap, the branded shimano stuff sort of stuff.

Oh I bought the complete tool kit for £25 and have already broken a bit of it.  So that'll be going back.

mr bunbury

« Reply #17 on: 17 May, 2008, 03:52:53 pm »
I've used their Sheffield branch quite a bit and it's generally good stuff.  My brother's got a fairly basic mtb from them, which seems to be good value so far, and I've got various bits and pieces of theirs (a pair of tights, a sweater, a bmx s/s freewheel, a pair of shimano spd pedals, etc).  The own brand stuff has been good, and the branded bits have been well-priced. 

I'll echo Phil, though - don't buy their tubes.  Those are useless.