Author Topic: Mini USB extension cables  (Read 1973 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Mini USB extension cables
« on: 28 November, 2008, 12:18:59 pm »
This is a bit of an odd one, as its about a camera, but its really about USB leads, so I've stuck it here. I need to get a remote release for my camera, which connects to the usual mini-USB connection in the side of it.  However, this thing has a pathetic 800mm long lead on it.  I need a much longer remote release than that, preferably 2-3m.  So, can I find a mini-USB to mini-USB extension lead?  Can I bo**ocks...   Anyone found a place who sells these, as normally its not the sort of thing you need, as you would have a USB A extender, and put the mini lead on the end, but t'other end ain't accessible in this case, its permanently attached to the remote release (a Fuji RR80, for my SF100s Camera).  Personaly I'd much prefer an infra red or other wireless device that plugged in, but i can't see any for my camera, or am I missing something?
Wombat

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Re: Mini USB extension cables
« Reply #1 on: 28 November, 2008, 12:24:35 pm »

RainOrShine

« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2008, 12:30:52 pm »
I don't know Fujis but it's worth checking if the mini USB socket is actually a standard Mini-A or Mini-B.  My Olympus has a proprietary socket. ::-)

Needless to say manufacturer's originals are ludicrously overpriced.  I bought a data transfer cable from user "directcal" on ebay which was just the job, reasonably long and only £3.50.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 28 November, 2008, 01:40:12 pm »
My dad has a Fuji camera and it does not use a standard mini-USB cable. In fact not all Fuji cables use the same plug/socket, as I found to my cost when I ordered a (wrong) replacement cable.
(Canon do use standard mini-USB FWIW.)
Partner runs most remote astronomical photo gear via a laptop and standard USB hub I think.

Wombat

« Reply #4 on: 28 November, 2008, 01:54:13 pm »
My Fuji does use a standard USB mini-B.  My other half's two successive Fuji's have used different variations on the theme.... 

From commutetoofar's link, I think I'm correct in thinking there is nothing appropriate there, but my caution relates to me not being too certain of my knowledge of USB cable terminology.  A mini-B won't plug into a mini-a, will it?  I suppose what I need could be described as a mini-B socket on one end and Mini-B plug on the other.  I am faced with a device (the remote control) with a mini B trailing lead, and another device (the camera) with a mini-B socket 9becasue they expect you to be happy to connect the lead into the camera, but I'm not satisfied with that).  Bearing in mind the size of the remote release, it would surely make far more sense if it had a full size A socket in it, so you cou.ld just use any old a to Mini-B lead to connect the two, but no, that seems far too easy....  Short of harvesting the mini-B socket out of my dead Fuji S9500, I'm running out of ideas.  alternatively, I wonder if any firm does do a compatible wireless remote that would connect into the mini-b socket on the camera?
Wombat

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #5 on: 28 November, 2008, 02:26:49 pm »
You can use several cables to do the trick.
Lindy have
Type Mini A to Type A  1m USB 2.0 Cable, Type A to mini B, Black | Type A to Mini-B | USB Cables | USB & FireWire | LINDY UK
Type A To Type A Female 1m USB 2.0 Extension Cable - Type A Male to Female, Black | Extension | USB Cables | USB & FireWire | LINDY UK
Type A to Type Mini A

Unfortunately the shortest lengths are out of stock.

« Reply #6 on: 28 November, 2008, 08:27:32 pm »
Could you get a couple of USB/MiniUSB adaptors and use standard USB cable of whatever length you need.  I haven't looked for these for a while - I have a convenient multi adaptor kit marketed as Easy Link that seems to have ends for those USB equipment that I have.   I've had it ages.

Wombat

« Reply #8 on: 30 November, 2008, 06:49:06 pm »
Thanks chaps, I should be able to assemble what I need from that lot.  It just would have been so much easier if Fuji had the sense to provide the device with a full size A socket in it, so I could use any old standard USB lead.  too easy....
Wombat