Author Topic: Nokia N900 - yes or no?  (Read 779 times)

Nokia N900 - yes or no?
« on: 12 January, 2010, 02:53:21 pm »
Should I?  I currently have a rather old E90.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Nokia N900 - yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2010, 03:01:01 pm »
Nice.  But I'm waiting for the Nexus One now.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2010, 03:13:27 pm »
It's one of a crop of lovely devices.  There's a sexy new thing from Dell coming out too.  And don't forget the iPhone...

The Nokia is completely yours and runs spanky new Maemo 5; if you're a linux nerd you'll love it.

The Nexus looks like Just Another high-end device.

I'd not consider anything without the compass and accelerometer rig, because of the awesomeness of AR.  I don't think the N900 has one.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2010, 03:45:45 pm »
A friend of mine has one, so I've actually seen it in the flesh and had a short play with it.

It's quite chunky, but the keyboard is good, so if you like keyboards, then that makes up for it.  As for using it - it felt like the sort of phone a developer would create - it does everything you want it to, and some of it is really cool, but it's not as polished as something like the iPhone.  I'm gonna get an N900 when my contract runs out, but then, I think that the killer app is the xterm!  :-[  And having root access is something I'm keen on too...

It might not have a compass, but it does have other funky gadgets - the FM radio trasmitter will be good, and I really want to use the IR transmitter to turn my phone into a multi device remote control! :)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2010, 04:20:19 pm »
The N900 looks great, as does the Nexus One. Both both have their downfalls when compared to the other.

Nexus has the better screen, N900s onscreen keyboard isn't as good but it does have a physical keyboard, N900 has better sound, Screen is better in sunlight, N900 has the better camera and flash, better memory. Nexus has a compass and accelermoter, those it's inaccurate compared to the HD2. Neither do multi touch like the HD2.

For me at the moment it's the iPhone 3GS 32GB or the HD2
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2010, 08:20:20 am »
The N900 is on my shortlist to replace my old and held together by gaffer tape E90 at the end of the month.

I'm fed up with Symbian (I gave up hoping they'd recreate EPOC some years back). I've dabbled with MS Mobile as it's the most open of the OSes but have got tired of rebooting. I'm wary of locking in to Apple or of giving yet more control of my digital life to Google.

So, it may well be the N900 warts and all.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't cursed with being an early adopter; condemned to overpay for overcomplex stuff that doesn't really work.