Author Topic: MSI Wind  (Read 2379 times)

MSI Wind
« on: 09 July, 2008, 05:07:09 pm »
I see the MSI Wind is out in the UK, or rather the rebadged Advent 4211.  I'm going to go have a look on Friday, since the eeePC is taking so long.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Re: MSI Wind
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2008, 09:10:18 pm »
Well, ended up getting it tonight.  Lovely - an awesome keyboard and 10" screen, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD.

« Reply #2 on: 10 July, 2008, 10:06:46 am »
OOoooo.... I could get one from the PCWorld on TCR at lunchtime... I might hold out for the Acer Aspire One, though. They don't do a version with Linux installed, do they?

« Reply #3 on: 10 July, 2008, 10:38:19 am »
It's seriously nice!!!  I haven't been this excited about a new toy since I was a geek working in IT.  Only got to bed at 2am last night.

« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2008, 02:53:56 pm »
I wonder if I rejected the XP license agreement whether I'd be able to get a refund for it from PC world?

Oh, and apparently you can get a 5% discount if you buy through quidco:

Quidco - PC World

« Reply #5 on: 10 July, 2008, 03:05:57 pm »
Morgan Computers have the MSI Wind in stock - or did yesterday. Best part of 400 Quid with P&P.

However, PC World have the Advent 4211 at 285 Quid, including P&P. AFAIK, the two machines are more or less the same, so why the big price difference? Both have 1GB RAM and an 80GB HDD and XP.

Brand snobbery?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #6 on: 10 July, 2008, 07:48:22 pm »
Hmm - I notice on the PC World Website:

Buy the Acer Aspire One A110 - Sapphire Blu Netbook for internet browsing on the move online from PC World.

That they expect to have the Acer Aspire One in on Saturday. I hope so, as then I'll be able to cop a feel of both netbooks and compare them.

Looks like they've only got the low-end 512MB/8GBSSD version though.

I did pop into PC World on the way home and had a look at the Wind^H^H^H^H Advent. It was nice, but I resisted the temptation ;-)

« Reply #7 on: 11 July, 2008, 05:30:05 pm »
In the end I decided I liked the sound of the slightly larger screen and keyboard; I'm writing this post on my brand new MSI Wind Advent 4211 right now :D

« Reply #8 on: 11 July, 2008, 06:13:11 pm »
Windows or Linux? (is there a linux 4211?)

I may be in the US in a couple of weeks, so I'll hold fire until the trip's confirmed or not...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2008, 06:35:42 pm »
Windows I'm afraid.  I thought the clue was in the name - MSI Wind.

« Reply #10 on: 11 July, 2008, 06:49:36 pm »
Wikipedia: Wind stands for “Wi-Fi Network Device"

I'm tempted to dabble in linux, but the spec is lower. E.g. 512MB RAM instead of 1GB.

« Reply #11 on: 11 July, 2008, 07:30:29 pm »
Yeah, it's Windows. I would quite like to have a go at installing Ubuntu Netbook Edition on it though, it looks quite neat. Apparently though getting the wifi drivers to work is a pain in the ass. (Although you can apparently pretty easily replace the network card for another one - they're available online for about £13)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #12 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:14:15 pm »
Looks like a loverly little machine :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #13 on: 13 July, 2008, 12:26:27 pm »
It was a lovely little machine. However, it's now decided not to boot.  >:(

Gets to the opening BIOS screen and then shuts itself down. Can't get to the setup screen, can't get to the boot menu. GRRRR!

Back to PC World tomorrow, then.

« Reply #14 on: 13 July, 2008, 01:00:11 pm »
Back to PC World tomorrow, then.

Or maybe not  ;D

As it turns out it's a bug in the 1.04 BIOS that means that if you hold the power button down for too long when you turn it on (like you might do on a mobile phone), it turns itself right off again. Fixed in the 1.05 BIOS apparently.

So, as I was saying... a lovely little machine ;D

« Reply #15 on: 13 July, 2008, 08:27:38 pm »
Wooo, yes I read about that one myself, and caught myself on it once.  LOL!

I'm still loving this machine, so nice!!!!

Rob S

« Reply #16 on: 04 August, 2008, 06:25:47 pm »
Looked at the Advent version this afternoon at the local PC World....unsurprisingly they've sold out....apparently some bloke boughtt 13 of them last week!!

« Reply #17 on: 04 August, 2008, 06:34:16 pm »
Looked at the Advent version this afternoon at the local PC World....unsurprisingly they've sold out....apparently some bloke boughtt 13 of them last week!!

They'll be on Ebay now then ;D

Rob S

« Reply #18 on: 07 August, 2008, 09:58:42 pm »
Got one :thumbsup: oh it's a joy!!!