Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1109208 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #6875 on: 20 July, 2020, 09:50:59 pm »
The trains are back :)  We've been hearing the DMUs and diesels on practice runs the past 2 week but this morning we hear the most wonderful sound of all:

Looks like someone spent most of past 4 months polishing her 8).  Click for full size.
DFR reopens on Aug 1st

Thanks. Booked for August 30. With a two year old who gets Very Excited About Trains.

...who is just explaining on toddlers' social media how excited his grandad gets about trains... ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6876 on: 25 July, 2020, 03:01:51 pm »
I've just sold three watches on fleabay for just about enough money to cover the purchase of an Iberital MC2 coffee grinder; the latter of which I shall use on a daily basis, as opposed to the watches that were sitting in a drawer doing nothing.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6877 on: 28 July, 2020, 12:09:00 pm »
Proud dad moment: the boy got a first.

It doesn't seem that long ago that he was in pieces after making a pig's ear of his AS exams, but it turns out that was exactly the kick up the arse he needed. Switched his subjects, dropping French for Politics, crammed a two-year A-level course into one year, got the grades he needed to get into Manchester to read History and has really blossomed academically - to the point that he was invited stay on for a PhD, but he's decided that life is not for him.

Instead, he successfully applied for TeachFirst and has spent the last few weeks on the introductory course (which should have been a residential course in Leeds, but has all been via Zoom instead, which is a slight disappointment but never mind).

He's got a placement at a local school, so we get to have him back at home for the next two years at least... which is a mixed blessing. It's all worked out very nicely for him though. He's talking about cycle commuting, which also warms my heart.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6878 on: 28 July, 2020, 12:58:51 pm »
Cool. Nice one. Very proud dad time.   :thumbsup:
Rust never sleeps

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #6879 on: 28 July, 2020, 01:47:10 pm »
Well done, I know just how you feel, mine got a Geoff Hurst too, Music Systems Engineering.  Worked at Air Studios for a while, met George Martin and a few other famous faces.  Beats my Desmond!  Mind, that was 45 years ago - different times...........

citoyen

« Reply #6880 on: 28 July, 2020, 02:22:52 pm »
Beats my Desmond!

I don't like to mention what I got... all I will say is that I did graduate.

(In my defence, I did lots of worthwhile stuff while at uni, just that I didn't spend a lot of time on the stuff that counted towards my degree...)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6881 on: 28 July, 2020, 03:33:23 pm »
Well done both Reg's nephew and Citoyen's son, at least some work had to have gone into both of them.

A Geoff in my case too, though not sure how I managed to combine that with playing and refereeing rugby and the wine society
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6882 on: 28 July, 2020, 03:43:46 pm »
Congrats to those graduating!

Beats my Desmond!

I don't like to mention what I got... all I will say is that I did graduate.

(In my defence, I did lots of worthwhile stuff while at uni, just that I didn't spend a lot of time on the stuff that counted towards my degree...)

I managed to get to teachers' training college off the back of failing all my A levels. In the 1970s, the only requirement for kids straight out of school was that you had completed an A level course.

All my kids' academic achievements are stratospheric compared to mine, as are their subsequent achievements in their respective work areas. All of them quite definitely drivers of the "bus of life" rather than passengers.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6883 on: 28 July, 2020, 04:59:57 pm »
Well done them!

« Reply #6884 on: 28 July, 2020, 05:22:15 pm »
A Geoff in my case too, though not sure how I managed to combine that with playing and refereeing rugby and the wine society

Did the wine society or the rugby need the most refereeing?  :P

Also, very well done to the graduates.

citoyen

« Reply #6885 on: 28 July, 2020, 05:35:57 pm »
Well done both Reg's nephew...

Oh yes, that too - well done him. A proper subject too, not like history!  ;D

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #6886 on: 29 July, 2020, 06:33:39 pm »
This morning a third Openreach engineer looked at my internet connection. This one listened to what I said and found a partially crossed connection.  He appears to have fixed my problem.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #6887 on: 30 July, 2020, 12:43:14 am »
My eldest has just told me(at half past midnight) that she is not going be be made redundant and that she will also remain as a key holder and therefore will not lose her home, a tied cottage. She works for the National Trust who are making a lot of redundancies and also down grading a lot,of,posts with incumbents being asked to apply for their jobs. She’s very relieved.

That means in the last month two of my children have got themselves new jobs and one has avoided redundancy. Now I just need to get a job mya elf and all will be well. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6888 on: 20 August, 2020, 01:50:06 pm »
Let's hear it for Belkin, manufacturers of Anbar-o-Stuffs!  Their 1m 6-socket extension thing actually has a a proper detachable plug* so I can install it in the upcoming Cupboard o'Networks and poke the cable out through an existing hole without having to fanny about cutting things, stripping other things and uttering Bad Swears :thumbsup:

* I thought these were extinct in the wild
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6889 on: 01 September, 2020, 07:32:49 am »
The trains are back :)  We've been hearing the DMUs and diesels on practice runs the past 2 week but this morning we hear the most wonderful sound of all:

Looks like someone spent most of past 4 months polishing her 8).  Click for full size.
DFR reopens on Aug 1st

Thanks. Booked for August 30. With a two year old who gets Very Excited About Trains.

and....

(full declaration: portrait is from the previous day, Perrygrove miniature railway)

« Reply #6890 on: 03 December, 2020, 07:03:31 pm »
A promotion dropped into my Gmail account from Halfords offering me £10 towards anything. No minimum spend. Being a cynic, I very much doubted that this was true. However, I ordered screenwash, de-icer and a funnel and paid 49p. All, I assume, because I bought two tyres in June.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6891 on: 03 December, 2020, 07:19:43 pm »
I had one o'they, but cannot think of anything on which I might spend it chiz.  Free money and nothing to buy :'(

« Reply #6892 on: 03 December, 2020, 07:26:17 pm »
Gizzit...!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6893 on: 03 December, 2020, 07:37:21 pm »
YHPM

« Reply #6894 on: 10 December, 2020, 02:02:21 pm »
I have just halved my monthly mobile phone spend and even increased my data allowance.  And, it's the same provider so I don't even need to move my number or fiddle with new sim cards.

The saving will pay for my upcoming subscription to Rouvy for mllePB's Chrimbo pressie, a Wahoo Kickr Core.  Awesome!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6895 on: 10 December, 2020, 02:24:43 pm »
...I've just realised that I haven't spent anything on mobile credit since February.  That's one for the Corona-bonus thread, unfortunately  :(

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6896 on: 21 December, 2020, 09:40:20 pm »
HK was pinged today to get her first C19 jab tomorrow. A few weeks’ time and my apprehension level will drop noticeably.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

fuzzy

« Reply #6897 on: 21 December, 2020, 11:30:42 pm »
Just recieved an e mail containing images and vid of Dad at his wheelchair appointment earlier today.
In about 8 weeks he will have a chair!
Apart from ambulance transport to hospital and therapy appointments, Dad has been either confined to a hospital bed or his bed in the dining room for nigh on two years.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6898 on: 30 December, 2020, 09:41:46 pm »
Mobility, even limited, must feel good after two years. Must make life a bit easier for everyone around him too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6899 on: 15 January, 2021, 09:15:02 pm »
My 15-year-old daughter, in the middle of a fraught GCSE year, and enduring lots of stress caused by perennial family issues, is singing happily in her room. Her choice of choons might not be my cup of tea, but keep belting them out, girl...