Author Topic: Just Stop Oil  (Read 3497 times)

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: Just Stop Oil
« Reply #25 on: 30 November, 2023, 03:34:11 pm »
Wow Pete, that was an amazing read.  Illuminating in many ways.  I was surprised just how organised JSO are with all the preparation and training, nice to hear how they operate.  Quite the adventure, and inspiring!

Thanks, Ben. I almost sent this to you directly cos I thought you'd be interested. When I got home I told one of my daughters that, on reflection, it was the closest thing to running the control on LEL. She looked puzzled, and then said "Community, exhaustion...??" which just about summed it up :)
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #26 on: 30 November, 2023, 05:14:13 pm »
I can't beat what others, especially Ben have said. It is good to know there's lots of options and excellent levels of training, I know how hard it is to wrangle volunteers or even get interest.

ian

« Reply #27 on: 30 November, 2023, 06:50:53 pm »
People need to tell their pension companies they want their money invested in renewables funds or climate change tilted funds.

4 of my pensions are with Aviva.

There is no option to choose a renewables fund or even an ethical fund.

I do have one pension in such a fund; it was in Friends Provident, decades ago. That fund will not accept any further contributions (it is now part of Aviva).

So I'm not sure all parts of the industry are getting it.

I think it's a challenge, most people of my age have more pensions than they have fingers, and most of them seem to have changed hands (for a while despite having started out with nothing with L&G, I had three, now two of them are somewhere else).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #28 on: 30 November, 2023, 11:08:26 pm »
Many thanks and congratulations for your selflessness, Pete. I’ve only just seen this.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #29 on: 01 December, 2023, 12:10:49 am »
Many thanks and congratulations for your selflessness, Pete. I’ve only just seen this.

:thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #30 on: 14 January, 2024, 12:00:08 pm »
UPDATE:  Following my activities in the original document I was facing two court cases. In each instance although I'd been arrested under Section 7 (Interference with use or operation of key national infrastructure) I was charged with Wilful Obstruction of the Highway which is a much lesser offence and does not include the option of going to Crown Court with the associated jury and increased court costs.

For the second offence I had a plea hearing ("Not Guilty") on Nov 15th as I'd been 'held over' for breaking bail conditions and, along with two co-defendants, was offered a court date of February 6th. But I was due to be on holiday then so we were all given January 10th instead - they kindly allow a change of date so long as the holiday is pre-booked. Bringing that date forward ended up working in our favour as we received no information about the prosecution's case despite chasing it up with the CPS both before and after Christmas. This meant we had no time to prepare a defence satisfactorily. A few days before the trial there was a rumour that it was going to be delayed by a fortnight but that turned out not to be the case. The CPS were woefully unprepared and decided not to proceed with the case due to lack of evidence. ............Woohoo!.............. But I'd spent ages preparing my statement and would have much preferred an acquittal  :).

For the first offence my plea hearing wasn't until December 22nd at 10am. I waited outside the Courtroom with another JSO person and was surprised that the area was so quiet as the time approached. Eventually a court usher came to find us - our case was on a different floor in a different courtroom but no one had thought to inform us. Four of us ended up appearing together but didn't get into court until 11.30am to be given copies of the evidence against us. We were given time to read it all before making our plea but it was difficult to concentrate on it in the noisy environment of the court waiting area, especially when the format is unfamiliar. We didn't get back in until after lunch while the magistrate dealt with other unrelated accused persons coming up from the cells. We went in and all pleaded NG with a fifth one of us, in true "Dice Man" fashion, only deciding his plea on a coin toss! We had a small win here by persuading the magistrate to remove our bail conditions which barred those of us from outside London from entering the area inside the M25. We got out at around 3.30pm. The inefficiency, chaos and understaffing was typical of an underfunded public service.

The defence for most cases is the Ziegler defence and it's all about proportionality and the ECHR Right to Free Speech and to Protest. Despite extensive reading and countless Zoom meetings I'm still a little hazy about how it works but I'm told that in protest cases it can be effective 30-40% of the time. From all I hear the verdict seems to depend far more on the identity and mood of the Magistrate than the case in front of them. It was interesting that while most JSO supporters choose to self represent unless they qualify for legal aid (which I don't) in each of my cases there has been one co-defendant who has chosen to be professionally represented - even the one who was a criminal defence barrister in a previous life (he says he gets too flustered and emotional while representing himself).

I'll get the chance to make my statement on April 30th.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #31 on: 14 January, 2024, 12:09:08 pm »
Many JSO supporters are understandably vegan and I lived in a vegan house during the week of action. Whilst I'm increasingly vegetarian I do still enjoy a steak or a bacon sandwich.

One little aside which amused me on my day in court:
I went with two other JSO's to a take away for lunch and thought I'd follow their example and have a (delicious) felafel sandwich for lunch, feeling that I'd done the right thing and my cover hadn't been blown. Unfortunately it all fell apart when I accepted a disposable cup with my coffee and they each produced a collapsible, reusable cup from their handbags! Call yourself an environmentalist?

Footnote: One of these two was travelling by Eurostar to Paris after Christmas as she allowed herself to be vegetarian while on holiday and was very much looking forward to eating cheese for a few days. She was a real foodie and confessed how much of a sacrifice being vegan really was for her.

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #32 on: 15 January, 2024, 03:50:35 pm »
Great to hear an update and some more about how these things work.

Chuckling at the image of a load of reusable cups being whipped out!
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #33 on: 21 January, 2024, 06:10:24 pm »
Great to hear an update on this.

It is generally considered very poor form for legally qualified people to represent themselves "A lawyer who represents themselves has a fool for a client" is I believe the phrase. If ex-barrister can afford it, having representation reduces the risk of the bench being pissed off cos of the poor-form.

« Reply #34 on: 16 February, 2024, 07:53:47 pm »

Activist delayed 4,000 plane passengers in protest against 40C heat, court heard

Cambridge University student Cressida Gethin scaled a gantry above the M25 near Heathrow as part of a Just Stop Oil protest.

Broadcaster and environmentalist Chris Packham, 62, told the west London court on Wednesday that he was stuck in the traffic for four to five hours during a trip from Hampshire to Surrey, where he was working on a BBC programme.

He told jurors he came to “sympathise” with the fact he was forced to think about climate change while he waited.

During her trial, Gethin, who has taken two years out of her university studies, said she aimed to “interrupt business as usual” and draw media attention to the “dire situation” represented by the temperature in Britain.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #35 on: 19 February, 2024, 08:12:58 am »
Temperatures in Perth, Australia are 15C above average for this time of year.

In real terms, that means a solid week of temps above 40C, hitting 45C in the capital one day. some parts of the state went up to 50C.

The average for the year was over 1.5C above average.

There are ostriches who still deny that weather is changing.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #36 on: 19 February, 2024, 06:02:10 pm »
Emus Shirley  ;)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #37 on: 19 February, 2024, 06:12:01 pm »
Have any farmers been arrested for their slow tractor driving protest recently?

« Reply #38 on: 19 February, 2024, 07:20:43 pm »
Have any thugs jumped out of their vans and physically assaulted any farmers driving their tractors slowly recently?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #39 on: 19 February, 2024, 08:52:42 pm »
Have any thugs jumped out of their vans and physically assaulted any farmers driving their tractors slowly recently?

You mean the Met?

« Reply #40 on: 20 February, 2024, 08:13:08 am »
I meant scaffolders, plasterers, etc. as you probably reduced, but yes, after watching a programme about the jackbooted thugs and the miners strike on the gogglebox last night, the Met too.

Excellent call.