Author Topic: Ministry of Food exhibition - highly recommended  (Read 1895 times)

Ministry of Food exhibition - highly recommended
« on: 21 February, 2010, 09:54:41 pm »
Exhibitions at the Imperial War Museum London : The Ministry of Food

Went to the Ministry of Food exhibition, about the WWII Dig for Victory campaign and rationing at the Imperial War Museum. Highly reccommend it to all our land gels and boys. Highlights for me were the "Food Flash" newsreels - some quite witty, and the reconstruction of a period grocers shop. Best bit of the lot was the Tea Trolley, British Forces Mark II and the Tea Urn (Armoured, Tanks for the Stopping Of). Seriously, the Wermacht don't have tea urns, and that's why they lost.

Young IWM chappie did a "show and tell" session using some museum items afterwards. Best one was about Private Reynolds - photo of him grinnning with shrapnel helmet with big hole in - first day of Somme was first day British Tommies used shrapnel helmets. Private Reynolds went on to an illustrious career of being shot by a German sniper,  shot by German officer, getting drunk on day of unveiling of Cenotaph (*) and thumping a policeman, joining Black and Tans and - guess what - getting shot. Later posted to Palestine and - wait for it - gets shot by both sides.
Finally dies back in Blighty in his favourite pub with a pint in his hand.
Now, I've never been in the Forces but if a bullet magnet like that got posted to my unit I would get as far away as possible.

(*) 600 exservicemen got drunk and extremely rowdy in the streets of London that day

Re: Ministry of Food exhibition - highly recommended
« Reply #1 on: 21 February, 2010, 10:42:06 pm »
I'm certainly gonna go.

Was there 2 weeks ago with my lad and listened to the Private Reynolds story.  Just amazing, also the fact that all his mates from his village returned from the war.  With such an incredible life it's surprising he managed to find the time to develop bicycle tubing...

Zoidburg

« Reply #2 on: 21 February, 2010, 11:11:09 pm »
"The battle on the Kitchen Front cannot be won without help from the Kitchen Garden" - Lord Woolton, Minister of Food.

« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2010, 07:04:17 pm »
Exhibitions at the Imperial War Museum London : The Ministry of Food

Went to the Ministry of Food exhibition, about the WWII Dig for Victory campaign and rationing at the Imperial War Museum.

Thanks for posting this, I've always had an interest in that aspect of the war.
Some of the DFV leaflets can be seen here

Must admit, I find it kind of reassuring that some aspects of life just haven't changed one iota in years.
Garry Broad

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 22 November, 2010, 01:43:19 am »
We went along this afternoon and I have to say, I agree with Scummers; it was well worth the trip.  Highlights for me were the Savoy recipe for Woolton pie and the message that food was seen as a munition of war - wasting it was unpatriotic.

We stuck around for the obligatory trip through the blitz experience and to watch the film that they're currently showing on genocide.  A bit harrowing, but utterly compelling viewing nonetheless.

After that, we had some blinding polenta and almond cake in the cafe and a look at some of the permenant exhibits, a few of which I photographed:

Little Boy atomic bomb

Julian inspecting an Italian mini-submarine

German V2 rocket engine detail

The rest of them
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2010, 06:47:25 am »
They should have a Christmas exhibition. 'Reindeer at War'

The Soviets used them for logistics in arctic campaigns.
Leavenworth Papers No.17: The Petsamo-Kirkenes Operation: Soviet
Breakthrough and Pursuit in the Arctic, October 1944