Author Topic: wasps nest  (Read 4445 times)

wasps nest
« on: 18 May, 2010, 11:22:01 pm »
HI,
we may have a small wasps nest in our shed. How do I best get rid of it?

Cheers
Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: wasps nest
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2010, 05:19:24 am »
Has it been there all winter or is it new?  If the former, just remove it (with some care) - wasps build a new nest every year.  If the latter, you're going to have to fumigate the shed or get the professionals in.  My mother tried the DIY approach once and got quite impressively stung.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2010, 05:44:23 am »
I found one a couple of weeks ago.  The wasp had only just started and it was a cinch to remove the 3 cm in depth x 7 cm in width of nest that it was building.  I counted myself as lucky to catch it at that stage.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2010, 06:29:32 am »
Do not try to improvise a homemade flamethrower.

« Reply #4 on: 19 May, 2010, 06:31:08 am »
I had one last year buried in  the garden behind the shed. I got rid of it with one of the sprays. waited until dusk when the wasps were all in and getting dozy then sprayed at the entrance from a distance building a big covering of foam all over the nest area. then beat a very hasty retreat ;D

I found that after a week there were still a few left so had to repeat and that finished them off.  I think I'd only do that in a shed if I could see very well where the entrance was to get it blocked with the first spray.

Or you could use a flamethrower, it would be spectacuar ;D
Edit  for panchos post      Oh yes you should ;D

I really really hate wasps

« Reply #5 on: 19 May, 2010, 06:59:33 am »
It's new, about the size of an egg... I think we'll just carefully knonk it down..
Cheers
Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching

« Reply #6 on: 19 May, 2010, 07:18:56 am »
This time of year I often find a queen starting a nest in one of my sheds.  This year I've had maybe half a dozen.  I find it is no good destroying the fledgling nest because the queen just returns to the same spot and starts again.  I bear them no malice so I've tried talking nicely to them and spraying things like GT85 to discourage them, but sometimes they just do not listen and have to be squished.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7 on: 19 May, 2010, 02:40:32 pm »
We had a large bee swarm in one of the trees outside the office ealier today.  We've just been watching the local bee lady come and collect them.

She'll be rehoming them in one of her empty hives...  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 19 May, 2010, 03:12:12 pm »
We saw a wasp nest in the shed
I removed it
mrs wasp built another one
I removed it
mrs wasp is building yet another one at the moment but guess what will happen?

« Reply #9 on: 19 May, 2010, 03:30:05 pm »
Wasps are actually quite beneficial in the garden (until they sting you), but if you do need to get rid of the nest then use either Nippon ant powder - a teaspoon full at the nest entrance will be sufficient, and if you don't fancy getting that close (it is quite easy when it is dusk) then I have also successfully used a spray can of something like "foaming wasp nest destroyer" (a snappy name if ever I heard one).  It comes out of the can like silly string and has a range of about 20ft (or 6m to those using Napoleonic units), and once it hits the nest it foams up and covers the lot.  One application was enough when I used it in anger.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 19 May, 2010, 03:38:22 pm »
David was using Henry to vacuum his observatory. He said he'd sucked up a spherical papery structure some 3-4 cm in diameter I explained it was probably a wasps' nest. No harm has resulted either to  David or to Henry.

« Reply #11 on: 19 May, 2010, 03:42:10 pm »
David was using Henry to vacuum his observatory. He said he'd sucked up a spherical papery structure some 3-4 cm in diameter I explained it was probably a wasps' nest. No harm has resulted either to  David or to Henry.

that's what we've got. Want to get rid before it grows.....
Cheers
Rich

border-rider

« Reply #12 on: 19 May, 2010, 04:29:42 pm »
We had hornets in the loft in the last house when we moved in. Now that was an impressive nest - like a 1971 lampshade :)

I just left them to die off in the winter and then removed the nest.  I still have a bit of it somewhere about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 19 May, 2010, 09:24:08 pm »

that's what we've got. Want to get rid before it grows.....

Henry or any other vacuum cleaner's pipe minus brush will tackle this neatly.
Davidd tells me there has been no recurrence in the observatory.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #14 on: 19 May, 2010, 10:04:18 pm »
If it's only the size of an egg, there will be very few active workers yet. Have you any ant powder (pyrethrum)? That will kill the buggers.

The life cycle of a wasp's nest is that only the queen survives the winter, compared to honey bees, whose queen and several thousand workers survive if you're lucky. In the early spring the queen herself starts the nest by chewing wood pulp and lays some eggs in it (she mated last autumn) and tends the young. As they hatch, so the new workers take over the nest expansion and young-tending duties and the queen just lays eggs. In a good year, by autumn the nest can be as big as a football and contain several thousand workers. As the queen goes off lay and there's no brood to tend, so the workers go further afield and make a bloody nuisance of themselves, just as fruit crops begin to ripen.

Having all the beekeeping equipment still in the garage, even though I have no bees any more (varroasis jacobsoni saw to that) I would put the veil on and sort them out by hand. If the nest is accessible, you might like to try giving it a bash with a cricket bat or equivalent and then beating a hasty retreat. Dusk would be a good time to do this.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #15 on: 19 May, 2010, 11:02:27 pm »
A year or two back I discovered a wasps' nest in our shed, in one of my wife's hiking boots. The nest wasn't too big, so I got away with dragging the boot out carefully, and filling it with water, which seemed to discourage them a bit.

The few survivors did try to set to and start a new one back in the shed, but I sprayed them directly. Don't think there were any left to carry on.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #16 on: 20 May, 2010, 10:23:59 pm »
I came across a wasps nest in my roof a couple of years ago and it was huge and very impressive. It was around four feet from top to bottom. The first thing I did was to take some photos as I'd never seen anything like it before. Then I fired some BB pellets at it and poked it and decided it was empty, then I knocked it into pieces and hoovered it up.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17 on: 20 May, 2010, 10:27:58 pm »
Do not try to improvise a homemade flamethrower.
My mother also tried to burn them out with meths.  Do not set light to a wasps' nest full of meths when you are still holding the can of meths in your other hand and your arms are drenched in it  ::-)

She had blisters for weeks.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.