Author Topic: Ideas for newly cleared area.  (Read 1658 times)

Tail End Charlie

Ideas for newly cleared area.
« on: 08 June, 2010, 09:30:19 pm »
I've recently cleared an area on my new allotment and want something to put in whilst I work on the rest (where I've cleared and planted a load of seeds). It has a lot of horsetail and bindweed and I've dug a lot out, but I know this will come back. Next year I'll put some fruit bushes in but need something for the time being. It's roughly dug and I've put some manure and grass clippings on.

Ideas? (preferably not spuds)

Re: Ideas for newly cleared area.
« Reply #1 on: 08 June, 2010, 09:32:31 pm »
Pumpkins. They'll spread quickly and the huge leaves will prevent weeds

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #2 on: 08 June, 2010, 09:33:18 pm »
Courgettes.  Wilkinsons (I think) have a seed collection of six varieties of summer squashes.  They grow anywhere, they're ready to plant now and they're satisfyingly productive.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2010, 08:48:52 pm »
Both good shouts. I'll try the pumpikins as I've already got some courgettes on the go.
Thanks to you both.

« Reply #4 on: 10 June, 2010, 01:14:38 pm »
Anything big, fast growing and easy to weed around - the above ideas are good.

You could also do some runner beans. I put my bean plants on the inside of a cane 'wigwam' and mulch inside it to keep the weeds out. this makes hoeing much easier.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #5 on: 11 June, 2010, 12:52:30 am »
I do that aswell with my climbing French beans. I cannot understand why others put them on the outside. I haven't asked in case they think I'm trying to be a smart arsed newbie.

« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2010, 10:39:12 pm »
If you've got nasty weeds, it may be provident to wait at least a couple of years before putting the fruit bushes in. It will give you a chance to really knock the weeds into touch. I put a shed down too soon after clearing an area and am still battling with the weeds sstored underneathit.
Stropping rocks

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2010, 09:43:27 pm »
Thanks HH, I am really trying to get ontop of the weeds I have and you make a good point. Will see how I get on the rest of the year. I am growing the fruit bushes from cuttings so another year won't make too much difference.