Author Topic: Cordless strimmers  (Read 3702 times)

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
Cordless strimmers
« on: 01 June, 2008, 08:15:07 pm »
Any one got any words of wisdom regarding cordless strimmers?

My allotment time seems mainly taken up with tackling the grass and a cordless wonder device seems worth it now. If nothing else to save my back with the shears.

I thought I could pick a petrol one up for nothing on ebay, but alas not.

So it looks like electric under around £50.

What does the panel think?
A shitter and a giggler.

Re: Cordless strimmers
« Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2008, 08:36:48 pm »
I have a petrol one, and it's not that great for keeping grass in check - slow and a bit random.

I'd just stick to a lawnmower and shears if I was doing it again.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Si

« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:54:50 am »
I use a sickle.  Can't get the grass as short as shears/mower, but byheck it ain't half good for working out the aggression. 

word of warning - wear cycling mits.  On hot days in the past, with sweaty hands, I've had it fly out of my hand, go stright up in the air and land, blade a good foot into the ground, next to me!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2008, 12:05:52 pm »
I use a sickle.  Can't get the grass as short as shears/mower, but byheck it ain't half good for working out the aggression. 

word of warning - wear cycling mits.  On hot days in the past, with sweaty hands, I've had it fly out of my hand, go stright up in the air and land, blade a good foot into the ground, next to me!

Wouldn't a scythe be easier on your back?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2008, 12:10:12 pm »
mmm, a scythe would be rather cool in the bike trailer. I would certainly get a lot of room on the road.

thanks for the tips guys, the petrol one sounds like a dead end, and likewise the electric idea a non-starter. i've seen some one else up on the allotment with an electric one and he didn't seem to be making much head way.
A shitter and a giggler.

rae

« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2008, 12:14:53 pm »
a scythe would be rather cool in the bike trailer.

Wear black hooded robes as well.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2008, 12:16:32 pm »
Wear black hooded robes as well

what makes you think i don't already?

The GRIM reaper.
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #7 on: 02 June, 2008, 08:40:42 pm »
I picked up a stihl petrol strimmer for £75 s/h and its the mutts nuts.

I would save up a bit more and check your local ad mags.
Stropping rocks

Si

« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:30:52 am »

Wouldn't a scythe be easier on your back?

Yes, but the sickle was free, handed down the generations of my family, still has the blood of English invaders on it  :demon:

Anyhoo, doesn't seem to give any back problems and it's easier, although less impressive, to carry from home to plot.

« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2008, 06:36:20 pm »
Any one got any words of wisdom regarding cordless strimmers?

My allotment time seems mainly taken up with tackling the grass and a cordless wonder device seems worth it now. If nothing else to save my back with the shears.

I thought I could pick a petrol one up for nothing on ebay, but alas not.

So it looks like electric under around £50.

What does the panel think?

Utterly, utterly useless for any sort of serious work.  Quite fun for playing with.

If you'd like a quite posh Bosch (see what I did there) battery strimmer, you can have it for nothing, available for collection from Harrow.  It's one of these (IIRC) http://www.internetgardener.co.uk/ProductDetail/1249/BOSCH-ART-23-Accutrim-Cordless-Line-Trimmer.aspx

PM me if you're interested.