Author Topic: This year I am growing a tomato  (Read 9060 times)

Re: This year I am growing a tomato
« Reply #25 on: 31 August, 2010, 01:59:07 pm »
My strawberries (1 per week) tasted of nothing.

That shouldn't be the case - strawberries are quite easy to grow, as long as you can keep the slugs off them, and should be bursting with flavour. Were you waiting for them to ripen fully on the vine before picking them?

Oh yes, definitely waiting for fully ripened.   We had a rota as to whose week it was for the strawberry.  No point picking it too soon as that just meant a much longer wait for the next fortnightly strawberry entitlement.

I did leave mine once, in the hope it'd last until Mrs Nutty's was ready and we could have a feast (one strawberry each at the same meal :o), but unfortunately it didn't last the wait and so was gooey and manky by the time hers was ready  :'(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 31 August, 2010, 07:24:07 pm »
Carrots and beetroots always do well for us fairly unskilled and inattentive gardeners here. Humongous beets this year.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #27 on: 05 September, 2010, 11:58:43 pm »
At Easter, my line manager gave us tomato and pepper seeds instead of chocolate.  >:(  ;D The tomato plants are doing really well, fruiting away merrily and ripening every day. The pepper plants have finally flowered but I don't think they'll ever fruit.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #28 on: 06 September, 2010, 10:22:34 am »
That reminds me.  I grew a pepper once.  It tasted of nothing.

« Reply #29 on: 25 September, 2010, 02:26:02 pm »
Huge effort for very little return.

It's a myth that growing your own is cheaper than buying at the supermarket, especially when you factor in the cost of your time.

d.
Apart from the cost of time (& I quite enjoy tending my plants, so think it's OK not to factor it in), I find home-grown much cheaper. Of course, I don't buy any expensive stuff like boards for raised beds, auto-watering systems, compost (I make my own), etc., etc. I haven't bought a gardening tool in this millennium (forks, spades, rakes etc all over 20 years old, & probably with another 20 years in them) except a very cheap watering can to replace the one I bought in the 1980s.

Those who spend more on home-grown than it would cost to buy do so because they spend money with no view to the return, not because that's what it necessarily costs to grow your own. The fondness for raised beds I see as an example of this, along with some of the remarkably expensive chicken houses I see around. When I was a young rural prole, a chicken house cost the price of nails, wire netting, & wood, & the latter would be reclaimed wherever possible. Chickens were either bought as chicks & raised, or old battery hens (still got plenty of eggs in 'em, just not cost-effective on commercial margins), & fed on as many kitchen & garden scraps & as little bought-in feed as possible.

The idea of spending more than the value of the produce on equipment would have been thought insane. What would be the point?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #30 on: 25 September, 2010, 08:55:19 pm »
When we had an allotment, the chap with the plot next to ours seemed to spend all his time digging. He would be there before us in the morning and still there after we'd gone home in the evening, digging like it was some monumental Sisyphean task.

We took the raised bed approach. Sure, it was an expensive initial outlay, but they'll last for years and years. I don't enjoy digging and I would rather use my time to do something else.

Yes, it means my produce works out more expensive, but like you say, the money isn't really the point - there are so many other reasons for growing your own produce.

I don't get the stupidly expensive posh chicken houses either though.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Si

« Reply #31 on: 26 September, 2010, 12:30:52 pm »
I've never really seen how raised beds make for less work than what I do.  I just give everything a weed once a week during the growing season, and in autumn/winter I give several beds one dig over and bung some manure on some.

Of course, going the no-dig method can require less work if you've got a ready supply of covering, but you don't need a raised bed for that.

As for whether GYO saves money, I'm not sure as I don't keep accounts.  It's probably fairly close vs normal supermarket produce, but if you happen to be organic (I'm not) then GYO is probably cheaper once stuff like all the netting etc has paid for itself.  However, in my case at least, it does make for better tasting food and a healthier diet.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #32 on: 26 September, 2010, 01:15:47 pm »
I've written before about my dislike of raised beds:

- who wants a garden full of "infrastructure"?
- they destroy any economic argument for growing one's own
- they don't save any time in reality.

I'm a country boy and think that raised beds reek of urbanism and the cult of buying a lifestyle or purchasing equipment based "solutions" to "problems". To grow stuff, you really don't need to spend any money. Tools are dirt cheap or can be begged. Seeds and young plants - ditto if you know the right people (ie my mother) - you just return the favour at some point. All you need is a patch of ground and a bit of time.

As for paying for hen houses! You build 'em out of whatever you can find lying around. My last one was primarily old doors.

Yours in frugality.

« Reply #33 on: 26 September, 2010, 04:44:31 pm »
Pancho,

absolutely!

I think I was in my 20s before I discovered that there were people who bought rhubarb.  :o  My parents last chicken house was made from packing cases, provided by me from my temporary post-university job, with the blessing of my employer, who was glad to have less rubbish to dispose of.

I don't understand this urban 'buy a lifestyle' high-input GYO thing. It seems to contradict itself, & I wonder what its environmental impact is. Some of those chicken houses look as if they have a huge carbon footprint, for example.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #34 on: 26 September, 2010, 05:06:32 pm »
I don't understand this urban 'buy a lifestyle' high-input GYO thing.

Well, maybe not everyone is doing it for the same reasons as you...  ::-)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #35 on: 28 September, 2010, 02:37:44 pm »
Our chicken run is very large and is Pcolbeck Juniors tree house (well round a tree climbing frame) recycled and covered on chicken wire. I may crack and buy some ply to make a new chicken house for the end of it though as the current one we have had for years is rotten (it's pallet wood special) plus when I take the hedge down we will be looking at the thing so it would be good if it wasn't a complete eye sore. I may even paint it a nice colour ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #36 on: 08 October, 2010, 03:13:25 pm »
I'm not a happy bunny :(

I've been looking forward to my second tomato, and today decided that it was finally ripe enough for lunch.  Out to the greenhouse I trotted, picked it, only to find that something had beaten me to it.  Whether a mouse, squirrel, or long toothed snail I don't know, but the back of the tomato had gone  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Still, it saved me a repeat of the disappointment I had with the first tasteless tomato that I ate last month.  ::-)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #37 on: 08 October, 2010, 06:11:17 pm »
Poor nutty!
I had tomato soup for lunch today, tomato soup for supper last night, fresh tomatoes at lunch every day for about 6 weeks, there's about 2kg of toms in the fridge, we've given loads away, the plants are still cropping...
I might be round, fat and red if you meet me!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #38 on: 09 October, 2010, 12:14:42 am »
We haz growed a tomato :o
Getting there...

SiD

• I prefer a loose Kenyan…
    • Lap the Lough
« Reply #39 on: 09 October, 2010, 06:17:10 pm »
I grew from seed this year. Really bumper crop. Not the best tasting off the vine but roasted they're outstanding. Like Helly, I've been gorging on them for months now, breakfast, lunch and supper the tomato has made some sort of appearance. We've about 2 weeks worth left, but the carrot and leeks are coming on great.

« Reply #40 on: 25 November, 2010, 02:01:44 pm »
I've just been looking at my third tomato.   It has now changed from green to a yellowy orange  :thumbsup:

The plants are dying back though, and I don't think they're going to survive long enough for my third tomato to ripen  :'(

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #41 on: 25 November, 2010, 02:11:59 pm »
Take it inside now and pop it on a windowsill.  It will ripen inside.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #42 on: 25 November, 2010, 08:12:19 pm »
Ours all went blighty :(

But we have got our turks turban squash to eat  :thumbsup:

« Reply #43 on: 25 November, 2010, 09:52:59 pm »

Thomas is now on the windowsill.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #44 on: 26 November, 2010, 12:49:11 pm »

Thomas is now on the windowsill.

Thomas will turn a nice red shade over the weekend. Will you dare to eat him? It may be heartbreaking!

The last of our toms are ripening on our southwest-facing kitchen windowsill.

« Reply #45 on: 26 November, 2010, 01:32:38 pm »
Thomas felt like a golf ball wrapped in leather when I brought him in.

If I do decide to eat him I think I'll be needing a steak knife, or vegetable peeler....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #46 on: 26 November, 2010, 03:12:34 pm »
Thomas felt like a golf ball wrapped in leather when I brought him in.

If I do decide to eat him I think I'll be needing a steak knife, or vegetable peeler....

I suggest a tomato knife. It may be advisable to ask a grown-up to show you how to use one safely. Amazon sell many kinds of tomato knife. I have had a sharp, pointy Kitchen Devils tomato knife for many years. It is finely serratetd and cuts tomatoes cleanly. You may find the skin is quite tough but Tom may have quite soft flesh. This is where a tomato knife is very useful.

« Reply #47 on: 13 December, 2010, 05:06:44 pm »
tomas is now a wrinkled orange scrotum with a black bruised bottom. i don't think he'll ever ripen.

« Reply #48 on: 15 December, 2010, 12:13:45 am »
Thomas is now in the compost.

I don't think that this home grown malarkey is worth it.   Total crop for the year, off two plants, was one tomato which didn't taste very nice.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #49 on: 16 December, 2010, 12:54:12 am »
Do not be surprised if Tomas's descendants arise from the compost...