Author Topic: Composting cat litter - good idea / bad idea?  (Read 3397 times)

Composting cat litter - good idea / bad idea?
« on: 27 September, 2010, 10:01:43 pm »
I use wood pellet cat litter for my ancient three legged cat.  Since we're encouraged to put human wee on compost heaps are there any sensible reasons why it wouldn't be okay to compost cat wee affected wood pellet cat litter?  Obviously, turds are a no-no but I'm guessing there's no harm in composting the soggy pellets, as long as they're well composted before going on the veg patch.

Thoughts please enlightened chums.

Q

border-rider

Re: Composting cat litter - good idea / bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: 27 September, 2010, 10:11:29 pm »
They work well

We did it at the old place, in a compost bin, and once properly rotted down they make a decent friable mush

Here we have just an outdoor heap, and we get some weird-looking mushrooms on it.

« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2010, 10:13:47 pm »
Excellent, thanks.  I was just reading the Ecologist article which says that human wee is brilliant for the accelerating composting so I figured it makes sense to compost the cat's as well rather than bin it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 28 September, 2010, 08:39:42 am »
They're cat-stools.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 28 September, 2010, 09:53:20 am »
One caution: toxoplasmosis. It's carried in the faeces, but the sawdust could be contaminated.

(I compost the fert litter, poop and all, fwiw).
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 28 September, 2010, 10:49:36 am »
Yebbut if you're already handling the litter, you're exposed to any risk anyway*.

Chucking it in  compost bin is just the alternative to having it land-filled.

*indeed, since a healthy person can shrug it off and become immune, there's an argument for handling cat litter from an early age ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2010, 12:05:56 pm »
I'd not want to use it for fruit or vegetables, but it would be fine for other plants
Getting there...

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 28 September, 2010, 12:10:48 pm »
Should be fine when it's rotted down.  It's just a bit of cat wee and some sawdust ;)

« Reply #8 on: 28 September, 2010, 12:26:00 pm »
Er, I don't know much about cat litter, but I've been composting my hamster's bed and that seems to be fine, and has involved a lot more flies and bad smells attacking us when we open the bin, which suggests there is more/speedier composting going on.

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 28 September, 2010, 12:41:12 pm »
Oh yeah - it's also ace for keeping rats out of the compost.  Recent rat urine/faeces in the compost I would worry about.